• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie, 1943 p nickle
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I have this nickle and I'm not sure what to think of it. Is it damaged? If anyone has any suggestions please comment. I'm still new to all of this, but most definitely want to learn all I can. Thanks ahead of time. 

20230802_172157.jpg

20230802_172221.jpg

20230802_172226.jpg

20230802_172117.jpg

20230802_172155.jpg

20230802_172137.jpg

It's a damaged and worn 1942-P silver alloy "war nickel" which were struck between mid-1942 thru 1945.  The copper (Cu) content was reduced from 75% to 56% and the nickel (Ni) content was completely replaced with Silver and Manganese (35% Ag and 9% Mn).  As TF noted it's likely just worth it's silver content.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/999/

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/1019/Wartime-silver-nickels/

If you like fishing you could always melt it down for a sinker.. It isnt worth anything more than melt.

As others have stated, this common wartime composition five cent piece is worn, damaged and currently worth a dollar or so for its silver content.  By the way, the word by which these coins are commonly referred is spelled nickel, not "nickle".

You should obtain a current or recent "Redbook" from which you can learn basic information about U.S. coins. See the following topic for information on how to obtain this and other resources: