• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ now my last question
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Please help me with this one and then I'll let y'all laugh me off the site, throwing tomatoes and rotten eggs as the little kid numismatics point and laugh at my terrible pictures, and ignorance.

82 small date. I looked, studied, got a micrometer and I know that the date fits the checklistΒ 

received_223396810679260.jpeg

received_304971095352602.jpeg

received_1300064797571498.jpeg

Yes, as already noted above you are correct that this is a small date.Β  Β But if you think you have the ever elusive copper small date then biased on what I see that would be incorrect, it has the appearance of a zinc plated coin.

No need for tomatoes - you are asking questions. Β This time you were 100% correct.

I say this with compassion - you seem to be jumping into the deep end of the pool without cutting your teeth on fundamental things. Β Items like understanding the minting process, knowing what it takes to be a quality coin, or understanding scarcity of issues by series cannot be overstated. Β These skills will take you further than searching for minor doubled dies.

That said... there is nothing wrong with hunting varieties and doubled dies after you have the foundational knowledge to do so.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

As a machinist for 27 years myself did you really measure that coin with a micrometer ? πŸ˜‚ people often get Dial or Digital calipers mixed up with Micrometer both are two different measuring tools it the metalworking machiningΒ world … 99% of the folks wouldn’t know how to read a true micrometer anyways … but it’s not really needed to determine 1982 small date πŸ‘

961AF1EB-9DD3-467E-AAFA-B63EA084D299.jpeg

The people who get laughed at or scorned don't get that for asking questions, even if they aren't real great questions. They get disrespected because they are obtuse, or slow in the uptake, or foolishly insist on conclusions proven incorrect by people who know more than they do.

I am not going to laugh. As a matter of fact, I am going to congratulate you as you took the time to inspect and even take a measurement to either prove or disprove the date in question. That means you are learning and developing your inspecting skills, and look, it got you a correct ID of this coin. Kudos!Β (thumbsu