• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trusted vendors?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

* * * This is not a buy/sell/trade post.  I'm just looking for info * * *

I'm getting back into collecting after about 15 years away from the hobby.  My previous experience was mostly limited to saving interesting coins I picked up as change.  I'm not worried about the authenticity what I found back then.  They're mostly lower grade examples of common coins; think wheat pennies and the occasional silver dime/quarter.  Nothing spectacular; however, great for filling holes in a Whitman folder.

As I pick up collecting again, I'm trying to figure out which online vendors are trusted sources for a few specific types of coins:

• Wheat pennies, graded: 1931-S; 1914-D; 1909-S; and 1909-S V.D.B (not high-grade...F to VF or so)
  • Wheat pennies, ungraded, semi-key dates (1910-S, 1911-S, etc.)
  • "Junk silver" rolls of dimes, quarters, and half dollars

So, basically, I'm looking to finish the wheat penny collection and pick up some junk silver.  Which online vendors (or options, such as eBay or the forums here) are good options?  My main priority is avoiding fake or altered coins.

(I realize the answers may depend on which coins we're talking about...eBay may be fine for graded coins but a nightmare for junk silver, etc.)

I would stick with larger reputable dealers like Ampex, Littleton, MCM, Northeast, JD, etc.  I have had good experiences with these dealers (mostly just bullion coins from JD), except Littleton can be a little pricy.  I would also avoid sites like eBay and Etsy like the plague, except for maybe graded coins from eBay.

On 7/30/2023 at 10:40 PM, EagleRJO said:

I would stick with larger reputable dealers like Ampex, Littleton, MCM, Northeast, JD, etc.  I have had good experiences with these dealers (mostly just bullion coins from JD), except Littleton can be a little pricy.  I would also avoid sites like eBay and Etsy like the plague, except for maybe graded coins from eBay.

Thanks for the reply.

I've heard of Littleton.  The others are new names to me.  I'll check them out.

For the AngelDee's site @Coinbuf referenced it looks like they have some good prices on slabbed coins from a quick look at a few Lincoln cents.  But for slabbed coins I find I get the best deals bidding or making offers on them at sites like Great Collections or eBay as I am pretty patient waiting for a good price.

However, be very careful where you by raw coins, and for those I would stick to more reputable LCS's or larger online dealers with good return policies, even though it might be at a slight premium.  Even then, at least know the basics on evaluating those coins (counterfeits, grades & possible cleaning).

On 7/30/2023 at 11:10 PM, Coinbuf said:

I highly recommend AngelDees.

I'm a second to the @Coinbuf  Andy is one of the foremost experts on small change.  1, 2, 3, 5 Cent coins.  as for ungraded Northeast is good.  Coast to Coast and or L&C have all been really good for me.

...the most beneficial avenue for u in the areas in which u want to collect, would be attend any n all local coin shows that u can in ur local area, if possible,...those coins abound in the smaller shows n u would gain invaluable experience in learning to grade the coins urself not to mention the interaction with dealers n other collectors...it would enhance ur collecting experiences exponentially....

Posted (edited)

First off you can try local coin shop in your area , see what they have … looks like you are building a Raw collection of Lincoln cents a local dealer will probably have most of all raw Lincoln cents you are looking for (key dates may be tricky to find you might have try several dealers to find the key date coins)   …. Secondly you can maybe go to local coin show in your area you’ll need look up online see what coin shows are going in your area ….

as for finding reputable dealers for when you get more serious on collecting looking for higher graded stuff , it’s a big big sea out there many many coin dealers I myself avoid the “big name dealers” they have stuff marked up so high I don’t even know how they stay in business…. I mostly do business with smaller dealers who have websites with a healthy inventory and good pictures of coins and are willing to work on negotiating price with you (those are dealers I like to do business with) another is auction houses like heritage auctions , and great collections and Stacks bowsers (just name a few of popular auction houses) 

Edited by Jason Abshier

My advice is to invest a little in travel and get to a major show. Towns that have the best are Chicago, Orlando, Baltimore, Long Beach, CA, Pittsburgh, and Atlanta. There are lesser shows that are great as well. Check out coinzip.com for listings.