• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emergency Production ASE’s
1 1

96 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2023 at 5:17 AM, J P M said:

That would be due to Covid 19................ 

Would West Point eagles sneeze on you?

yeah right like Philly and San Francisco were immune to Covid.......  I thhink if you look at the record the SAEs have been produced at alternate mints most of the years for the bullion coins

On 7/30/2023 at 12:31 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Why were there “Emergency Production ASE’s produced by the San Francisco and Philadelphia Mints for 2020 & 2021? 

The "emergency production" is not something the mint designated.  It's a made up label gimmick that the TPG's came up with to create a demand for graded bullion coins simply because they were struck at a different than usual mint.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/8289/bullion-eagles-philadelphia-emergency-production/

Edited by EagleRJO

Thank you for your reply. I read the letter from the U.S. Mint in reference to the link. This information was very helpful in factually determining the production issue was DIRECTLY related to Covid-19. The cutbacks in workforce were ordered to prevent worker infection rate from climbing. Thus, the two mints (SF) and (P) took up the slack in bullion production from (W).  There are 240,000 of these coins. Nothing more. 

On 8/1/2023 at 7:38 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

Ya’all need to READ the U.S. Mint’s letter.  I am just reiterating what THEY said NOT me. Basically, I like the E.R.’s cuz they present a good investment. Like any ASE but better. 

I don't consider the bullion version of ASE's as a collectible since there's an average of around 15 million minted each year yet alone an "Investment". I do however, consider the burnished version of ASE's as a collectible because they always have the least amount minted each year and are not guaranteed to be minted (check out 2009 and 2010) unlike the bullion version.

There is an EXCEPTION to every rule, or made up rule, or thought up rule or concept.  Yes, I like burnished as well, but the 2020 & 21 E.R.s are in a DIFFERENT class. 
The issue of C-19 is irrelevant to what I am saying here regarding these two year only coins. They are NOT just bullion ‘run of the mill’ coins. 

On 8/1/2023 at 9:21 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

They are NOT just bullion ‘run of the mill’ coins. 

Yes they are.  Simply because a TPG designates part of the run of bullion coins as coming from someplace other than where they are usually produced due to the pandemic, without any special coin marks to distinguish them, does not make it special to knowledgeable collectors.

What do you have if you take the coin out of the holder?  Just a normal bullion coin!

Edited by EagleRJO

There is an EXCEPTION to every rule, or made up rule, or thought up rule or concept.  Yes, I like burnished as well, but the 2020 & 21 E.R.s are in a DIFFERENT class. 
The issue of C-19 is irrelevant to what I am saying here regarding these two year only coins. They are NOT just bullion ‘run of the mill’ coins. 

On 8/3/2023 at 1:23 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Ah, hem, check the price guide. Any coin removed from a holder is worth less money. That’s a no brainer.

I am familiar with silver eagles and the price guide for these which is outdated now.  The EP special label honeymoon is over, and If you look at recent sold listings there is virtually no premium for these 2021/2022 (P) Silver Eagle bullion coins.  I just feel sorry for people who paid a significant premium when they first came out and now have a loss.

And the point about the bullion coins being out of the holder was not that they would be worth less, the point was that both the EP and regular issue bullion coins would be exactly the same.  So the only difference was the label.

On 8/1/2023 at 6:38 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

I like the E.R.’s cuz they present a good investment.

No ASE’s are a good investment, NONE! The spread between how much you PAY when you buy, and how much you GET when you sell is just too obscenely large. I’ve been there. Please believe me. The dealer makes ALL THE INCREASE. The misnamed “investor” gets hosed. 

On 8/3/2023 at 12:22 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Sadly, yes they are. Strictly bullion. I would bet my LIFE on it. 

EVERYBODY KNOWLEDGEABLE knows precisely how to end up with a small fortune trading ASE’s. Start with a LARGE fortune.

I can’t tell you how many times I bought 2011 ASE’s for under $20 each that the original buyer paid over $50. He was absolutely certain they would soon be $200, but they ended up under $20. Stay away from ANYTHING “hot” in the market. Remember, buy LOW. There is NOTHING low in metals, NOTHING!

Edited by VKurtB

I submit that the words “Emergency” and “American Silver Eagles” should have never seriously been used in the same sentence. Emergency? Seriously? How? Somebody’s sales commission income reduced? Yeah, maybe. But emergency!?!? Come on!!!! West Point is near NYC. YES, NYC lost their barking minds during COVID. They’re STILL out of their minds over it. It was all fine as soon as Cuomo was out of there. He is what was making them nuts.

True, Covid made alot of “Sick” people “Sicker.”

Especially in “New York City.”

I just know my E.P. ASE’s are worth more than the regular bulls. NGC says so. I will go with that.

Hey, buy low, sell high.  Remember there is an azz for every seat. -Used Car Salesman.

🤣

On 8/3/2023 at 9:03 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

True, Covid made alot of “Sick” people “Sicker.”

Especially in “New York City.”

I just know my E.P. ASE’s are worth more than the regular bulls. NGC says so. I will go with that.

Hey, buy low, sell high.  Remember there is an azz for every seat. -Used Car Salesman.

🤣

Any TPG can and will put any price guide value to every coin but you must understand that those values are for retail sales for coin dealers not individuals. As such that information is merely "Volunteered" and is NOT guaranteed that you will get that money for your coins.

"Any coin is only worth as much as someone's willing to pay for it at any given point in time" - Tony Follis. For example, in 2019 I bought a pre graded NGC MS 70 2013 burnished ASE for $80.00. Today if you were to check the NGC price guide value for that coin it's listed for $165.00.

Edited by Tony Follis

Tony, 

You are so correct that any item (including ASE’s) are only worth what someone is willing to pay. It does NOT matter what the item is. It could be anything from bananas to bicycles, tires to shoes. 

If you are a wise man, you will know that your greatest profit margin is in quick turnaround with the highest margin. I have sold multiplied millions of dollars worth of items in my life and know this to be FACT.

Quick turnaround is what makes money! NOT slow turnaround. Covid proved this to the demise of many businesses. They could not sell product out of an empty barrel. 

You say you bought a burnished ASE in 2019 for $80.00 and now in 2023 it is worth $165.00, …that is not bad, but it took you 4 years to double your book margin.

I bought an E.P. 70 ASE last week for $50.00 and it is listed at $250+.  I did that 4 times. 

Now, you guys TELL me, who got the greatest return on his cash??

ANYTHING you buy to sell, or keep, or invest in is PURELY a NUMBERS V. TIME. Thing.

Case CLOSED ///.

On 8/3/2023 at 9:41 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

I bought an E.P. 70 ASE last week for $50.00 and it is listed at $250+.  I did that 4 times. 

That question will only be answered when you sell the 4 coins. List price means nothing if you can't get anyone to pay that amount for your coins.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:41 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

Tony, 

You are so correct that any item (including ASE’s) are only worth what someone is willing to pay. It does NOT matter what the item is. It could be anything from bananas to bicycles, tires to shoes. 

If you are a wise man, you will know that your greatest profit margin is in quick turnaround with the highest margin. I have sold multiplied millions of dollars worth of items in my life and know this to be FACT.

Quick turnaround is what makes money! NOT slow turnaround. Covid proved this to the demise of many businesses. They could not sell product out of an empty barrel. 

You say you bought a burnished ASE in 2019 for $80.00 and now in 2023 it is worth $165.00, …that is not bad, but it took you 4 years to double your book margin.

ANYTHING you buy to sell, or keep, or invest in is PURELY a NUMBERS V. TIME. Thing.

Case CLOSED ///.

Dude coins are NOT an investment by any means. I have many investments ranging from real estate to "I" series savings bonds. Oh btw the interest I make on those "I" series savings bonds compounds so needless to say that I don't just "Flip coins" to make a quick buck. "Quick buck artists come and go with every bull market but it's the steady players that make it through the bear markets" - Lou Manheim from the 1985 classic movie Wall Street.

Really?

Tell that to the guy who sold that St. Gaudens for for $18 million. 

Good investment.

Remember money losses buying power every minute.….and Rust is the New Gold. 

Ever been to Hot August Nights? Alot of old rust there.

We live in a world of perceivement.  It is what one perceives it to be.

I also know that NGC partners will loan $ on NGC graded coins. Its based on how much NGC grade value you have. 

On 8/4/2023 at 3:40 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Really?

Tell that to the guy who sold that St. Gaudens for for $18 million. 

Good investment.

Remember money losses buying power every minute.….and Rust is the New Gold. 

Ever been to Hot August Nights? Alot of old rust there.

We live in a world of perceivement.  It is what one perceives it to be.

I also know that NGC partners will loan $ on NGC graded coins. Its based on how much NGC grade value you have. 

I don't need to take a loan for anything as I have plenty of cash in many banks earning interest. I also have zero debt.

On 8/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

BTW ASE’s are TAX free!

Not where I live. They would tax the air if it would stop moving around .

Believe it or not, it is true. No tax when you buy, no tax when you sell. No tax was one of the reasons the ASE program was created. Thank you Ronald Reagan. You can even convert a 401 K into hard silver and pay no tax. 

On 8/3/2023 at 10:41 PM, Stackerdude21 said:

That list price of $250+ is old from when they were relatively new and commanded a significant premium.  I seriously doubt you will get even close to that just for an EP bullion coin.

Around $50 sounds about right from what I saw on recent ebay sold listings for a EP ASE bullion coin, with a few going for a little less like around $40 to $45, and a couple with the special "FDI Mercanti" label going for a little more like around $70 to $75 (see attached).

Let us know how you make out.

EP ASE MS70.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/4/2023 at 7:34 AM, Stackerdude21 said:

Believe it or not, it is true. No tax when you buy, no tax when you sell. No tax was one of the reasons the ASE program was created. Thank you Ronald Reagan. You can even convert a 401 K into hard silver and pay no tax. 

This is an outright lie. Not true.

American Gold Eagle coins are considered collectibles by the IRS. If you own your Eagles for less than a year and sell them, they are taxed at your personal marginal tax rate. If you hold them more than a year before selling, they are taxed at 28 percent, which is the IRS tax rate for collectibles.

https://www.providentmetals.com › ...

Commonly Questions About American Gold Eagle Coins - Provident Metals

image.png