• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Vareity or different elements ??
1 1

77 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, Abdulah said:

it is clear from all the numbers, letters, buildings, lincoln portraits all hit with small dies

I am not sure what you are referring to with this. The US Mint did not decide to use "smaller" dies to mint Lincoln cents. If they did, they would have had to use smaller planchets and smaller collars to make the strike look the same. Otherwise, if they used "small" dies with regular planchets, there would be an outer "ring" of unstruck metal not part of the rim around the edge of the coin. I looked at varieties for the 1961 D Lincoln Memorial Cent and see 72 varieties for RPM's but nothing for "smaller" lettering, date, and images. I do not see any difference between the two coins in the photo you provided, so I am left just confused by this post.

I'll have what the OP's having. (:

I believe all the dies were made from the same master hub, there would be no variation as you describe because of this. DD's, RPM's, overdates, design loss do to polishing of dies, Sm & Lg dates, etc., sure, small and large features of the overall design, no. 

I see no meaningful differences in the details of these coins.  Any differences in the thickness or strength in the lettering or other features are explainable by die wear or die polishing combined with circulation wear on the coins. This would not be indicative of die varieties or mint errors.

If you remain convinced that there are different varieties of 1961-D cents, you should examine a number of uncirculated examples of them, rolls of which should still be available from some dealers.

Edited by Sandon
correct typo

I also don't see any appreciable differences in the sizes of the elements you identified, just differences in the amount of wear on the coins.

If you look up the coins in CoinFacts you will be able to see how the coins look in a mint state, and then with varying degrees of wear that approach the circulated condition of the coins posted.

All the dies come from the master die so they would all be almost identical. We all know no two items are exactly the same but what you are looking for Abdulah is not there. I think the coin (Error Hype) is getting desperate. The way that the coins are made now days make it very rare to get errors. That is why people get so excited over a new die clash which I think is cool but that's here nor there. I have a feeling people will be searching for ghosts in a lot of older coins and that will make identification even harder than it is now. I will always coin hunt. I have been doing it for a while and most of what you think you see you do not.... believe me...... Look again.. and look it up,,,, Most errors have been found already. If you find something new in a 60 year old coin it is probably PMD. ( Post Mint Damage )  Good Luck.

My post is not for everyone or forced collectors to be interested in this coin, what I want to say is there a Lincoln case like this coin?

Yes, I will try to send it to PCGS or NGC, thanks

On 7/30/2023 at 12:05 AM, Abdulah said:

My post is not for everyone or forced collectors to be interested in this coin, what I want to say is there a Lincoln case like this coin?

Good luck 

On 7/29/2023 at 9:05 PM, Abdulah said:

When you do, consider it tuition.

image.gif.81e4a6f3e2c23b799f12dba3afa18738.gif

Consider it $80 tuition paid when it comes back as just a normal circulated 1961-D Cent without any variety noted on the label.

I alone discovered and resurrected this coin.
and I have had a hobby of collecting coins since I was a teenager, and just found out that there is a 1961 D BN Lincoln cent coin smaller than the others about a year ago which was in all US collectible coins, when I was identifying all the lincoln coins that were I have the possibility of having VARIERTYS like DDO/DDR.SMALL DATE/LARGE.DATE/DOEBLE EAR/ CLOSE AM/ WIDE AM/ PROOF / SATIN / REGULAR STRIKE / BUSINESS
STRIKE / BN. RB .RD in 1919 - 1959 - 1960 and so on. but 12 pieces that are unique enough that I expect to get MS grades, including this 1961 D.
Sorry I didn't say these coins are valuable but I said NEW VAREITIES AND DIFFERENT ELEMENTS ??? that's what i posted

20230731_133246932.jpg

Why is it too deep and too serious to think about it when I'm just ordinary, I'd rather sing a simple Bob Dyland Chord song but the legend of Bob Dyland is great!

If you like i can send you about 2 to 3 thousand of these wheats just to get them off my hands. There are really only a handful of Lincoln Cents that are worth the time and these are one of them.   sorry just a few old wore out cents.