• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this 1950 Washington Quarter an S over D?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

It's not in the greatest shape; however, I've got a pretty clear picture of the mint mark.  It looks like something odd is going on.  I can't quite tell if this is an S over D, a D over S, or just a beat up S coin.  My numismatic experience comes from grabbing coins out of pocket change throughout the years.  Any help/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

25c-1950-Washington.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1950-S quarter doesn't appear to be the 1950-S/D FS-601 variety, as it doesn't show any trace of the left side of the underlying "D". The blob on the right side of the "S" is probably a die chip. Compare it to the NGC VarietyPlus photo of an uncirculated example of this variety:

817150-2.jpg

Your coin certainly isn't a D over S, which is a D with traces of an underlying "S".

On 7/27/2023 at 10:29 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1950-S quarter doesn't appear to be the 1950-S/D FS-601 variety, as it doesn't show any trace of the left side of the underlying "D". The blob on the right side of the "S" is probably a die chip. Compare it to the NGC VarietyPlus photo of an uncirculated example of this variety:

817150-2.jpg

Your coin certainly isn't a D over S, which is a D with traces of an underlying "S".

Thanks for the detailed reply.  I appreciate it.

Hello and welcome. There is no D over S variety for the 1950 year, but there is an S over D variety. However, I agree with @Sandon that your coin does not exhibit the characteristics of that variety. He chose the closeup image from NGC VarietyPlus but I chose the non closeup image as it may be easier for you to see that your S is clear and does not have the metal associated with the underlying D. The extra material on your mintmark could be a die chip but also could be extra material outside the mintmark from a die that was worn out allowing some extra metal to escape from the void in the die around the mintmark combined with generous wear. The photo I have provided below is from the NGC VarietyPlus page in which you can see there is not material from the underlying D that "closes" the S.

817150-1.jpg

It doesn't match either a 1950-S/D 25C (above) or the 1950-D/S 25C (attached).

The upper loop of the "S" mint mark is normally almost completely closed for that year which may have been throwing you off.

5843_37655161_Max.jpg