• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does my quarter have any value?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2023 at 11:34 AM, VKurtB said:

No. It's not a die clash, nor any kind of error. It is intentional damage done after it left the mint.

Thank you very much. Very disappointing though. I thought I found something. I will keep on looking. I didnt know that kind of damage could be done to a quarter. Thank you again for your time. 

Hello and welcome!

There are almost infinite ways a coin can be damaged, and we see a ton of the ways right here in this forum. Everything from parking lot coins to acid baths, vise jobs, railroad rail runs, grinders, cut in halves, poorly stored with environmental damage, chemical cleanings, counting machine damage, metal detector digs, shipwrecks, the list is nearly endless.

Also, for future note, if your coin had an actual die clash, the image would be centered within the rim and not imparted to the center of the coin as in the one you have.

"I saw a term used somewhere, and I'm going to completely misuse that term because it'll make me sound like I know what I'm doing."

Nope. The precise opposite. One sympathetic note: Nobody makes a numismatic dictionary that is worth a darn. You have to pick up terms through trial and error. Good luck. It takes a huge amount of time. So why don't they? It's too much work and there's no money in it.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/22/2023 at 11:53 AM, Jake7419 said:

I will keep on looking.

You will keep on looking until you stumble on the truth - that it's not worth looking for errors. Errors find YOU, not the other way around.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/22/2023 at 12:53 PM, Jake7419 said:

Thank you very much. Very disappointing though. I thought I found something. I will keep on looking. I didnt know that kind of damage could be done to a quarter. Thank you again for your time. 

Just curious....are you deliberately looking for "error" coins or did you just find this and stumble upon the possibility of it being an error ?

We get so many people here convinced they found a valuable error coin...and yet there is so much more fun in just collecting regular, silver, or gold coins. :)

On 7/22/2023 at 3:26 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Just curious....are you deliberately looking for "error" coins or did you just find this and stumble upon the possibility of it being an error ?

We get so many people here convinced they found a valuable error coin...and yet there is so much more fun in just collecting regular, silver, or gold coins. :)

Can I piggyback on your question? Who convinced you that looking for errors was a mainstream part of this hobby?

On 7/22/2023 at 3:59 PM, VKurtB said:

Who convinced you that looking for errors was a mainstream part of this hobby?

I agree @VKurtB. Error collecting is a niche in the overall collecting in the hobby. And I also agree that purposefully searching for errors is an exercise in futility. All the errors I own have found me. I stumbled upon them. Also, I have caught some errors others may have missed.

Edited by powermad5000

It's a numismatic version of a Yakov Smirnov bit. "In numismatics, error coins find YOU." Even true among Soviet era Russian coins.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/22/2023 at 4:59 PM, VKurtB said:

Can I piggyback on your question? Who convinced you that looking for errors was a mainstream part of this hobby?

If that is addressed to me....I never said that.  Error collectors, the good ones, tend to be a highly-focused niche and very well-versed in numismatics.  In fact, there aren't many decent Error Threads here, ATS, or at CT.  It's very specialized.

We get more "I found this errror coin" threads or posts than any other Newbie misleading post/thread.  Heck, Sandon has created a How To link just for those posts !! xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 7/23/2023 at 12:22 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I never said that.  Error collectors, the good ones, tend to be a highly-focused niche and very well-versed in numismatics.  In fact, there aren't many decent Error Threads here, ATS, or at CT.  It's very specialized.

Jake 7419 ....I have been looking for errors and variety's in the wild since 1963.( Dang that is 60 years ) I still roll hunt when I have free time at night and I post the finds in my Cherry Picker Post if it is worthy. However. Errors are very rare. I think I have found one in the last 5 years and maybe around 4 variety's. So it is not something that will pay the piper even if one comes your way. It would have to be something outstanding to be a collectable. .As long as you realize it is for fun and education I see no problem in searching for odd coins as part of your overall numismatic journey.  Feel free to post here if you have something strange you need answers on. The members are here very knowledgeable and will tell you there honest opinions. Sometimes with a bit of humor added in to the mix.

On 7/22/2023 at 11:22 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If that is addressed to me....I never said that.  Error collectors, the good ones, tend to be a highly-focused niche and very well-versed in numismatics.  In fact, there aren't many decent Error Threads here, ATS, or at CT.  It's very specialized.

We get more "I found this errror coin" threads or posts than any other Newbie misleading post/thread.  Heck, Sandon has created a How To link just for those posts !! xD

No, it was addressed to the OP. I am a big student of WHY people do the things they do. Some people feel as though they're being "attacked" when somebody asks "why" or how they came to believe something. I am genuinely interested in people's information flows. I study the flows of information themselves. I have an EXTREMELY NEGATIVE VIEW OF INTERNET-BASED LEARNING, in case you haven't noticed. My thesis is that internet-based learning is fatally flawed, and if you randomly end up learning something useful, it's due to sheer luck, because the medium itself is a pile of garbage. Get it?

So no, I am not attacking the victim; I want to smack around the perpetrator.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/23/2023 at 7:26 AM, VKurtB said:

I have an EXTREMELY NEGATIVE VIEW OF INTERNET-BASED LEARNING, in case you haven't noticed. My thesis is that internet-based learning is fatally flawed, and if you randomly end up learning something useful, it's due to sheer luck, because the medium itself is a pile of garbage. Get it?

I wonder if it's occurred to you that anyone reading posts on here (yours included) is engaging in INTERNET-BASED LEARNING. Does this mean that you have an EXTREMELY NEGATIVE VIEW of anyone attempting to learn from your posts?

On 7/23/2023 at 9:49 AM, JKK said:

I wonder if it's occurred to you that anyone reading posts on here (yours included) is engaging in INTERNET-BASED LEARNING. Does this mean that you have an EXTREMELY NEGATIVE VIEW of anyone attempting to learn from your posts?

Yes, it means EXACTLY that. It means don't listen to me, don't listen to Roger, don't listen to ANYONE here. Get your butt out from behind your barking screen and get into the arena.

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/23/2023 at 9:44 AM, VKurtB said:

Yes, it means EXACTLY that. It means don't listen to me, don't listen to Roger, don't listen to ANYONE here. Get your butt out from behind your barking screen and get into the arena.

Okay. Just checking. What I can't wait to see is how someone listens to you by not listening to you. I suspect that's how Daoist thinking would approach this.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:04 PM, JKK said:

Okay. Just checking. What I can't wait to see is how someone listens to you by not listening to you. I suspect that's how Daoist thinking would approach this.

Daoist and ALSO anyone who has had the benefit of a Classical education.  Thinking about thinking is great exercise.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:26 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

So I work at multiple registers all day with plenty of time to look through all the money. I understand errors and other things are very rare but its worth my time because looking beause its fun for me and I have nothing better to do. I love all coins, I just come into contact with a lot of American coins and bills. 

On 7/23/2023 at 7:17 AM, J P M said:

Jake 7419 ....I have been looking for errors and variety's in the wild since 1963.( Dang that is 60 years ) I still roll hunt when I have free time at night and I post the finds in my Cherry Picker Post if it is worthy. However. Errors are very rare. I think I have found one in the last 5 years and maybe around 4 variety's. So it is not something that will pay the piper even if one comes your way. It would have to be something outstanding to be a collectable. .As long as you realize it is for fun and education I see no problem in searching for odd coins as part of your overall numismatic journey.  Feel free to post here if you have something strange you need answers on. The members are here very knowledgeable and will tell you there honest opinions. Sometimes with a bit of humor added in to the mix.

Thank you for the advice. I understand what you are saying but I work with money all day so I search through it. I am very new to this but I have already made a couple hundred dollars in the past two weeks  from several errors I found. To me thats a lot more money than i had before. I dont take this as seriously as many people on here. It replaced gambling for me. 

On 7/23/2023 at 5:34 PM, Jake7419 said:

Thank you for the advice. I understand what you are saying but I work with money all day so I search through it. I am very new to this but I have already made a couple hundred dollars in the past two weeks  from several errors I found. To me thats a lot more money than i had before. I dont take this as seriously as many people on here. It replaced gambling for me. 

I would be genuinely interested in seeing photos of one or two of the errors that you found and sold.

On 7/23/2023 at 10:59 PM, powermad5000 said:
On 7/23/2023 at 8:34 PM, Jake7419 said:

I am very new to this but I have already made a couple hundred dollars in the past two weeks  from several errors I found. To me thats a lot more money than i had before. I dont take this as seriously as many people on here.

This on the other hand disturbs me greatly. One for admitting you are new at this, but two for the coin you posted in this thread not knowing what it really was. Badly damaged. That tells me you advertised a bunch of junk like this and make a bunch of money off of uneducated buyers as uneducated as yourself. Many of whom will eventually find out their coin is damaged and worth face value. This is what is ruining the hobby. it is unethical.

It sadly happens all the time. Maybe Jake got lucky and found a true error coin. I could never sell a coin on the fact that it may be a error. I worked in construction if something was wrong It would be fixed even if it cost me money. Truth, Honesty and Ethics are a big part of life for me.

On 7/23/2023 at 11:15 PM, Coinbuf said:

I would be genuinely interested in seeing photos of one or two of the errors that you found and sold.

Yes I would also.

Edited by J P M

Nothing wrong with roll hunting but you’ll be very disappointed finding a true error in roll hunting is like needle in the haystack … most errors been cherry picked … you might find occasional “W” mint mark quarter while searching rolls there’s a few varieties out there as well ….

If you want to get into error coin collecting ? You’re gonna need to study and research a lot and don’t listen or watch  “so-called error collectors” on YouTube or something like that (just a heads up you’re wasting time watching these videos) so don’t … They give out the wrong information makes new people join hobby look like fools walk in pawn shop or coin shop trying sell a coin they believe is an error that they found simply because YouTube video told them … When it was nothing but post mint damage they got a shocker from a coin dealer  (don’t laugh , I heard it happen to someone and they were really embarrassed) I find it rather Pathetic (another is new collectors buying “raw” error coins on eBay or somewhere else getting ripped off when it was not an error at all) … a lot of them YouTube videos need removed for misinformation bad bad bad it’s like cancer that spreads in our collecting hobby … 

best way to learn error coins buy a few books on errors (for reference) speak with other error collectors on here they’ll give idea why error coins you want to collect , mostly classic error coins that been graded and so on bring premium worth collecting most of the modern stuff is either a hit or miss value wise 

On 7/23/2023 at 8:35 PM, Sandon said:

If you "are very new to this", how did you determine that they were legitimate mint errors rather than damaged or intentionally altered coins? Did you sell them to coin dealers or others whom you could reasonably presume would have adequate knowledge to determine that they were in fact mint errors, or did you sell them to the general public based on your representation that they were mint errors?   

New meaning I started about six months. I do a lot of research everyday. I just posted them on ebay and let the costumers decide if they want to buy them. I found this website hoping knowledgeable people would help me determine what was real. I just never saw a quarter with that kind of damage.

On 7/24/2023 at 12:09 PM, Jake7419 said:

New meaning I started about six months. I do a lot of research everyday. I just posted them on ebay and let the costumers decide if they want to buy them. I found this website hoping knowledgeable people would help me determine what was real. I just never saw a quarter with that kind of damage.

We see them on here all the time. People get bored and put them in a vise or press and press another coin into them. Ive only been on here for about 3 years and Ive seen just about everything in that short amount of time. You wouldnt believe the damage people does to coins. From harsh chemicals to grinder jobs. People like to expirement with them. 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:09 AM, Jake7419 said:

doh!