• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*****Grading Quiz*****....... 1948 LWC
1 1

16 posts in this topic

HELLO everyone! I hope my NGC family and friends are doing well!  It's been a minute since I've been on the boards here, but I'm still green side up and kicking, thankfully.  I was going through some of my collection and entertained the thought of letting some of them go. I have had some life changes recently, both good and bad, and could use the extra $$$.  

Anyway..... I would really appreciate some input/opinions on this 1948 LWC and see what grade the pros here would slap on this one.  I know, I know, I know..... grading from a pic is difficult at best sometimes, but these two pics are of the original auction photos.  The only thing I have done to these photos is enhance the light (I made it a bit darker) so that the coin's color appears as close as possible to what it looks like in hand.  Thank you all!  

Edit right off the bat....🙄: I see that the pics are rather large once I posted them.  If you click on the picture(s) it will make them smaller and more clear (at least it does on my laptop).  Sorry that they are the "size of pie plates" @Just Bob😂.  I'll never forget you saying that to me YEARS ago about my pics. 👍 

Image 7-2-23 at 12.21 PM.jpg

Image 7-2-23 at 12.22 PM.jpg

Edited by GBrad

Buying or selling I would grade it AU for the abrasion on shoulder and cheek. A TPG might call it MS-63 - too many dents and marks to go any higher, even from them.

On 7/2/2023 at 1:44 PM, Coinbuf said:

Nice to see you post @GBrad!   I would call your coin MS65+ shot 66, a very difficult coin in 67 or better.

Hey there Coinbuf!  Glad to be back here for at least short while.  Life's had me bouncing back and forth lately and I haven't had much time to even look at or be involved with coins.  I'm definitely looking forward to some down time if and when that ever happens so I can get back into this hobby that I love so dearly.  

Thanks for your expert opinion on the grade my friend, as well as your kind words.  Gonna let it ride for awhile before I announce the grade just to see what some other folks think.  You are obviously WELL in the ballpark as I knew you would be. 👍 

On 7/2/2023 at 2:12 PM, RWB said:

Buying or selling I would grade it AU for the abrasion on shoulder and cheek. A TPG might call it MS-63 - too many dents and marks to go any higher, even from them.

I will have to agree with you Roger on your observations.  I've viewed this year LWC on the "ATS" site since they do have a good selection of "other images" to view. Oddly enough, it appears that what you described with the abrasion issues is actually quite common on ALL MS grades for this year Cent, even the higher MS's. 

Edited by GBrad

@RWB Here is a copy and pasted photograde pic of a MS 67 from "ATS".  It too exhibits the abrasion you mentioned.  Just wanted to show this for comparison purposes to mine. Even 67+ grades have this same looking abrasion on the obverse.  I wonder why this is the case on all of these 1948's???  I'd assume it would have had to of been a die issue. Thanks! 

Image 7-2-23 at 2.18 PM.jpg

Edited by GBrad

On 7/2/2023 at 11:21 AM, GBrad said:

I wonder why this is the case on all of these 1948's???  I'd assume it would have had to of been a die issue. Thanks! 

It is not just 1948, and it is not a die issue, most of that chicken scratch (my term) are planchet marks that did not fully strike out.   This comes from incomplete metal flow and it is actually very common on wheat cents.

@GBrad good to see ya up and about again.... i am leaning to a 6 6 RD on this one..  and you are right these things do get a ton of nicks in them..

I consider 64 , 65 ,66 the collector man’s coin …. The 67-68 stuff is more for registry builders the prices are marked up for the that stuff other wise I don’t participate in to registries so I’ll settle for 65-66 any day I’m not worried about getting “rich” off my collection nor am I looking at it as a retirement “slush fund” when I retire or something … in fact I hope one of my kids take my collection I don’t want a dime nor a cent back from it other than I had enjoyment putting it together … so this very very high graded stuff is not for me that’s not my goal in my collection if I was doing registries I would look at it differently   

On 7/3/2023 at 11:35 AM, ldhair said:

Many times, the jump from 66 to 67 is all about the luster.  

I agree totally on that. Thanks!