• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953d underweight 2.7grams.
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Most likely it is an end of strip planchet, the planchets are punched out of long strips of material and it is not uncommon for the very end of the strip to be thinner than the middle.   Do you have a precise measurement of the thickness?

On 7/1/2023 at 9:25 AM, Rww said:

Can someone explain this?

Scale is calibrated. I do not have the exact measurements at the moment but when comparing to another Lincoln cent you find it to be a slight bigger I'm not going to rule out the thin Blanchet possibility but this coin is a different composition to my understanding. It's going in for a metallurgic analysis test, so now the hard part hurry up and wait!

It could be a end cut planchet. It looks copper to me. The obverse is worn what does the reverse look like?

Edited by J P M

On 7/1/2023 at 11:10 AM, Rww said:

Scale is calibrated. I do not have the exact measurements at the moment but when comparing to another Lincoln cent you find it to be a slight bigger I'm not going to rule out the thin Blanchet possibility but this coin is a different composition to my understanding. It's going in for a metallurgic analysis test, so now the hard part hurry up and wait!

Perhaps you would expand on just what "this coin is a different composition to my understanding" means.   I am not aware of any experimental metal tests the mint was performing in 53, nor do I recall the mint minting any coins for foreign countries or US territories at that time.

Your coin looks to be a normal circulated coin, my guess is your scale is not as accurate as you think and you'll be wasting your time and money having any testing done, but that is your choice.

I simply cannot accept weights from some of the scales I see in the photos in this forum. That scale is an older pocket scale. So far, my experience has been that most of these pocket scales are not accurate to begin with. Calibrating a scale that is not accurate will also give you a non-accurate weight.

Instead of the metal testing you would be better off taking this coin to a jewelry shop that has a very expensive but accurate scale and asking them to weigh the coin for you. I am not going to say it is not possible for it to be underweight, but it is highly unlikely to be.

I have the following observations on this topic:

1. When you post an inquiry about a coin on these forums, please post cropped photos of both sides of the coin. I have seen coins that have had the reverse planed off or otherwise tampered with or damaged in a manner that would reduce their weight. The only observations I can make about this 1953-D cent from its uncropped obverse photo are that (1) it has likely been "cleaned" or polished, resulting in an unnatural color, (2) the rim has been nicked or perhaps filed on the left side and (3) the rim is a bit wider on one side, which usually indicates that it was struck from a misaligned obverse die, which isn't considered a mint error. The difference in the rim size might also indicate that it was struck on a slightly undersized planchet, but this isn't a conclusion I'd even suspect without seeing the other side of the coin.

2.  Per my older (1985) edition of the Coin World Almanac, the official weight for a 95% copper bronze or brass cent minted between 1947 and 1982 is 3.11 grams, with a tolerance of 0.13 grams, which would bring a freshly struck coin weighing as little as 2.98 grams within this tolerance. Your coin, which is worn down to Very Fine or so grade, may have a filed rim and has been cleaned to boot is only 0.22 grams lighter than the weight allowed for an uncirculated coin, assuming that your scale is accurate. This is rather slight evidence for you to conclude that "this coin is a different composition." Unless it is noticeably thinner than a normal cent of this era, it may not even be from thin planchet strip.

3. @Coinbuf--The Coin World Almanac also indicates that the U.S. Mint produced a total of 193,673,000 coins for foreign countries in calendar year 1953. It does not provide the specifications for these coins or identify the mints at which they were produced.  Before spending money on metallurgical testing for this coin, you might want to research whether the Denver mint produced any coins for foreign countries in or around 1953 that would have used copper colored planchets roughly the size of those for Lincoln cents and would have weighed approximately 2.70 grams. Only if such coins were produced would there be any real possibility that a 1953-D cent could have been struck from a planchet of a different from normal composition.  The U.S. Mint (usmint.gov) would likely be the best source from which to obtain this information, or perhaps @RWB, a numismatic researcher who participates in these forums, would know.

4. If you think that we are unduly skeptical, please understand that we see numerous claims of the discovery of rare and new errors and varieties, very few of which ever prove to be true. If you do have the coin analyzed, please inform us as to the results.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:39 PM, Sandon said:

I have the following observations on this topic:

1. When you post an inquiry about a coin on these forums, please post cropped photos of both sides of the coin. I have seen coins that have had the reverse planed off or otherwise tampered with or damaged in a manner that would reduce their weight. The only observations I can make about this 1953-D cent from its uncropped obverse photo are that (1) it has likely been "cleaned" or polished, resulting in an unnatural color, (2) the rim has been nicked or perhaps filed on the left side and (3) the rim is a bit wider on one side, which usually indicates that it was struck from a misaligned obverse die, which isn't considered a mint error. The difference in the rim size might also indicate that it was struck on a slightly undersized planchet, but this isn't a conclusion I'd even suspect without seeing the other side of the coin.

2.  Per my older (1985) edition of the Coin World Almanac, the official weight for a 95% copper bronze or brass cent minted between 1947 and 1982 is 3.11 grams, with a tolerance of 0.13 grams, which would bring a freshly struck coin weighing as little as 2.98 grams within this tolerance. Your coin, which is worn down to Very Fine or so grade, may have a filed rim and has been cleaned to boot is only 0.22 grams lighter than the weight allowed for an uncirculated coin, assuming that your scale is accurate. This is rather slight evidence for you to conclude that "this coin is a different composition." Unless it is noticeably thinner than a normal cent of this era, it may not even be from thin planchet strip.

3. @Coinbuf--The Coin World Almanac also indicates that the U.S. Mint produced a total of 193,673,000 coins for foreign countries in calendar year 1953. It does not provide the specifications for these coins or identify the mints at which they were produced.  Before spending money on metallurgical testing for this coin, you might want to research whether the Denver mint produced any coins for foreign countries in or around 1953 that would have used copper colored planchets roughly the size of those for Lincoln cents and would have weighed approximately 2.70 grams. Only if such coins were produced would there be any real possibility that a 1953-D cent could have been struck from a planchet of a different from normal composition.  The U.S. Mint (usmint.gov) would likely be the best source from which to obtain this information, or perhaps @RWB, a numismatic researcher who participates in these forums, would know.

4. If you think that we are unduly skeptical, please understand that we see numerous claims of the discovery of rare and new errors and varieties, very few of which ever prove to be true. If you do have the coin analyzed, please inform us as to the 

https://www.numismaticnews.net/world-coins/rare-1943-lincoln-cent-made-of-tin-and-other-metals

Trust me I've done my homework on this. Again it's just another man with a opinion! Until you had the coin in your hand you will never know. Besides what you say there's endless opportunities here to be a one of a kind. Check out this article since nobody seem to mention this 

I myself am new to coin collecting however when the more experienced / knowledgeable members of this message board gives their opinion about a coin based on a mere picture of the coin in question you can pretty much bank on it being the truth. Having said that and with the weight of the coin in question being under weight it's either what the members have already stated or possibly a countfiet.

There is an easy way to check the scale. Weigh several other copper cents, one at a time. They should average about 3.11. If they average about 2.70, you know the scale is the problem. Also, I have learned that folks don't think to change the batteries on scales. Low batteries can give poor results.

My guess is a thin planchet. It would be cool to see the reverse of the coin. 

Edited by ldhair

Put a bright new nickel on the scale. It will weigh 5 grams, on average. Also put a piece of paper on your scale, then zero it. The paper will protect the scale platen from damage. You want to make 10 consecutive measurements and average them to get a reliable weight on these cheap Chinese scales.

On 7/1/2023 at 1:10 PM, Rww said:

but this coin is a different composition to my understanding.

Find a new understanding. Different composition is the least likely explanation BY FAR!