• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'd like to show you guys more of my bust halves.
2 2

29 posts in this topic

I assume that you have no questions about these Capped Bust half dollars.  Regarding your observations about the 1810, the spots are likely indicative of a coin that was "dipped" in an anti-tarnish solution and then not properly rinsed. Such spotting is not a natural toning pattern. 

I collect these coins by "Redbook" variety and have at least one of each date.  Most are uncertified and stored in an album. You can see photos and descriptions of the NGC and PCGS certified pieces, which include the "key" 1815 and 1836 reeded edge and some higher-grade pieces, can be seen on the NGC Registry at Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

As many of you know, I collect these by "album variety".  My #1 set is in a Wayte Raymond album, and my #2 set is in a Dansco album (both are two-album sets) but the sets have slightly different varieties required for completion.

Thanks for posting some pics of yours!

You guys no doubt have coins that are much nicer than mine. I know they are nothing special. They help me cope with PTSD. So many different things to collect. I pull my coins out every so often to look at them to take my mind off of some things. It's a great hobby with so much United States history.

I like to think that maybe some of these coins were in the pocket of one of our nation's founding fathers. We know for sure that they were used by the colonist. I see some people must have the best of everything but for me I will settle for these. Coins are fun!

On 5/9/2023 at 1:03 PM, Sandon said:

I assume that you have no questions about these Capped Bust half dollars.  Regarding your observations about the 1810, the spots are likely indicative of a coin that was "dipped" in an anti-tarnish solution and then not properly rinsed. Such spotting is not a natural toning pattern. 

I collect these coins by "Redbook" variety and have at least one of each date.  Most are uncertified and stored in an album. You can see photos and descriptions of the NGC and PCGS certified pieces, which include the "key" 1815 and 1836 reeded edge and some higher-grade pieces, can be seen on the NGC Registry at Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com).  

I actually have many questions about them but I wouldn't know where to begin. So please post whatever information you care to share. I am more than willing to learn about it. I think I have learned that different Overton varieties exist. If I am not mistaken an Overton variety is a pair of dies used that leave certain markers on a coin. Some are more common than others. One thing I have learned already is that clash marks are common on these coins. I did not know that. I think they are absolutely wild to observe. Whether or not they have a premium on them I do not know. It seems that while these coins are beautiful they are a bit crude when compared to the generations after coins that followed. Especially when we get into Morgan dollars. Morgan's are by far my favorite coins and I have a bunch and I will be posting them.

Thank you Sandon that was a great write up. I certainly did learn a few new things. I am a little more familiar with Morgan dollars as they are my primary focus and my favorite U.S. coinage. I do visit vamworld frequently to research the VAMs of the Morgan's I have. I do have many slabbed Morgan dollars but many more unslabbed. I've been talking with a coin shob thats an hour away from me. They are very reputable. I believe at some point I am going to pull out a large group of what I perceive to be my better Morgan's and have them slabbed. It's not something I am in a rush to do as it will likely cost me well over $1000 to have this done. I do think it will be worthwhile nonetheless. I keep them in inert plastic capsules as I feel it is the best way to protect them. I'll post some of my coins as the time passes and I get the urge to escape into coinland.

Thank you!

@jtryka: If you'd've said the bust half featured above were made of copper, with an honest-to-goodness suggestion of patina/verdigris, I would not disagree. But odd positioning of letters on the reverse notwithstanding, I am not prepared to go the whole hog and throw "contemporary counterfeit" into the mix. No counterfeiter worthy of the title would lay claim to having produced this. I only regret I wasn't there when this rolled off the press.

On 5/12/2023 at 6:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

@jtryka: If you'd've said the bust half featured above were made of copper, with an honest-to-goodness suggestion of patina/verdigris, I would not disagree. But odd positioning of letters on the reverse notwithstanding, I am not prepared to go the whole hog and throw "contemporary counterfeit" into the mix. No counterfeiter worthy of the title would lay claim to having produced this. I only regret I wasn't there when this rolled off the press.

@Henri Charriere I believe you may have completely missed the point of my post, so I'll just leave this here...

On 5/12/2023 at 7:50 PM, ldhair said:

yVJWfWZMSyux8SQmLZqA_1824 O.111 PCGS-C AU53 obv.jpg

KrqyVNBCQBCOaRc11rIi_1824 O.111 PCGS-C AU53 rev.jpg

Could this be Gemini Liberty? Two profiles. Two noses, two sets of lips, two chins, etc. the twin is there right by her side. 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:59 AM, R__Rash said:

Could this be Gemini Liberty? Two profiles. Two noses, two sets of lips, two chins, etc. the twin is there right by her side. 

The 1824 Capped Bust half dollar features prominent strike doubling that created the appearance of a double profile of Liberty, as frequently seen on both large cents and half dollars of this era.

On 5/13/2023 at 11:59 AM, ldhair said:

1823 was also a common year for profile doubling. Pretty cool but little to no added value. Some collectors don't care for them.

Maybe the collectors who don't care for them is because 1823, as you say, was a common year for profile doubling.  🤔  

On 5/12/2023 at 6:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Checked today at my local coin shop and this is not silver, not sure what the metal is, but I am now convinced it's a contemporary counterfeit.