• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charmy's 2023 CENTRAL STATES (CSNS) COIN SHOW REPORT w/Lots of Pics!
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Charmy, to see your photos, I have to click on each blue question mark box, and then close the opened window before going further.

Your last thread — The ANA Phoenix National Money Show — the photos are all easily seen.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:32 AM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Charmy, to see your photos, I have to click on each blue question mark box, and then close the opened window before going further.

Your last thread — The ANA Phoenix National Money Show — the photos are all easily seen.

Don't know what happened, but I think it's fixed now - thank you for letting me know.

On 5/3/2023 at 10:14 AM, The Penny Lady said:

It’s been a couple days since I returned from the Central States show in Schaumburg and I’m still trying to dig out from all the coins I sold and purchased, as well as the dreaded paperwork that always follows after a large coin show. There was so much activity at the show this year, starting for me from the Greysheet reception on Tuesday evening all the way through the end of the show. I was busy at my table almost consistently throughout each day, then grabbing a quick drink with friends right after the show, then attending social events and dinners each evening, followed by more gatherings at the hotel bar after dinner events! Big kudos and applause to Larry, Mitch, and all of their staff and helpers who made this show the huge success it was! 

So I have to say, this was a really good show, with tons of pre-show marketing, very busy, with lots of great sales and purchases, plus the added benefit of extra social gatherings. I already signed up for next year’s show and expect that it will be a very successful show as well. Most everything at this show went very smoothly, with only a couple tiny glitches that I’m sure Larry and crew are aware of (the various show times for dealers and public was a bit confusing, plus there were no dealer table numbers posted on the website just before the show). The CSNS staff deserves huge credit for everything they did to make this show as successful as it was – thank you very much, we appreciate all you did!

Next up: My local Buena Park show and then the Long Beach show in June!

It seems like this show was a real bang-up success, Charmy.  Pre-2020, the reports I saw said Central States was losing out to ANA, Long Beach, and FUN.  Looks like pent-up demand and/or all the new entrants to our hobby during Covid have given it new life.

Seems like you could detect that you were busy during show hours continuously, which is a good "tell" for attendance, buying interest, etc. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 5/3/2023 at 6:25 PM, DSessom said:

Counterfeits in real PCGS/NGC slabs? Man, that really doesn't do much to boost confidence, does it? That is very scary...

Can anybody give an approximate value for what those counterfeits were trying to replicate ?  We talking $300 coins....or $3,000 ? 

On 5/3/2023 at 10:09 PM, Sandon said:

This is, indeed, scary, considering that coins in these holders are presumed to have been duly authenticated by professionals. 

And yet, over the years, when I have suggested (or stated emphatically) that spending a few more seconds on the conveyor belt of coins for older ones where known fakes are common would be a wise investment....I've been told REPEATEDLY that whether they spend 12 seconds on coins like this or 45 seconds it won't matter. :o

On 5/3/2023 at 10:09 PM, Sandon said:

The 1806 (small "6", presumably without stems) half cent would have a retail value of $550 or so.  The five large cents, if "straight graded", would have retail values ranging from $2,250 to about $4,000, but I would figure about a 50% discount due to the severity of the impairments perceived by the graders, which would still be substantial values. The impairments would have been created by the counterfeiters to make the coins look their purported age. Hopefully, these mostly PCGS graded coins will be covered by a grading guarantee for anyone who bought them in these holders, presuming that the grading services agree that they graded and encapsulated counterfeit coins. This is, indeed, scary, considering that coins in these holders are presumed to have been duly authenticated by professionals. 

I'd be interested to know your opinion or any other large cent collectors opinion on the quality of these fakes? Are they exceptionally deceptive or not, etc.. That is if there is enough info to base an opinion on from the available photos and TPG images, if available. I haven't looked myself yet but hope to have some time this weekend to study them.

My very strongly held opinion is that the show-going hobby is faaaaaar more attuned to how pervasive the counterfeit coins in counterfeit slabs problem is. The collectors steeped in the culture of “I’d rather spend what YOU do on travel, on another coin online” are whistling past the graveyard. They CAN’T admit how pervasive fraud and fraudsters are online because it ruins their theory of the case. On the Internet, you only get exposed to the information you actively seek out. At shows, information of all sorts comes rushing headlong AT YOU. Sometimes it’s INCREDIBLY VALUABLE information you might never search for online. Every time I go to an ANA show (actually NOT JUST A COIN SHOW, but an industry CONVENTION) the best stuff I learn is about things I had never considered going in. Wholly unexpected topics. That’s where Roger’s method of research fails, too. He never sees what’s happening, only what some past self-dealing self-interested bureaucrat thought was important enough to write down and/or save and archive. You have to BE IN THE ARENA, actively participating, observing, questioning, challenging people, and critically thinking. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 5/6/2023 at 12:41 PM, VKurtB said:

My very strongly held opinion is that the show-going hobby is faaaaaar more attuned to how pervasive the counterfeit coins in counterfeit slabs problem is. The collectors steeped in the culture of “I’d rather spend what YOU do on travel, on another coin online” are whistling past the graveyard. They CAN’T admit how pervasive fraud and fraudsters are online because it ruins their theory of the case. On the Internet, you only get exposed to the information you actively seek out. At shows, information of all sorts comes rushing headlong AT YOU. Sometimes it’s INCREDIBLY VALUABLE information you might never search for online. Every time I go to an ANA show (actually NOT JUST A COIN SHOW, but an industry CONVENTION) the best stuff I learn is about things I had never considered going in. Wholly unexpected topics. That’s where Roger’s method of research fails, too. He never sees what’s happening, only what some past self-dealing self-interested bureaucrat thought was important enough to write down and/or save and archive. You have to BE IN THE ARENA, actively participating, observing, questioning, challenging people, and critically thinking. 

...could not agree more...especially ur take on archive contents, only as good as the submitter n then only includes what they wanted it to include...his biggest failure, n its huge, is that "ifs it not in the archives it didnt happen"...in so many instances the coins themselves dispute his contentions, assumptions n biases ...real coin collectors r much like combat veterans, either u were there or u werent....

Back on Track.  🤣

Having never stepped foot inside a coin show or coin convention, I appreciate the time, trouble and phenomenal memory you've relied on to bring a world I am wholly unacquainted with to my fingertips--bookended with your fine signature "Penny".

On 5/6/2023 at 12:49 PM, zadok said:

his biggest failure, n its huge, is that "ifs it not in the archives it didnt happen".

THIS belief is literally clinically insane. 

On 5/6/2023 at 6:46 PM, VKurtB said:

THIS belief is literally clinically insane. 

Not so fast. Insanity is a legal term and not a medical condition. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of intensive work. I don't believe I am.

On 5/6/2023 at 6:42 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Not so fast. Insanity is a legal term and not a medical condition. Not everyone is cut out for that kind of intensive work. I don't believe I am.

It’s a numismatic condition, afflicting at least a sizable plurality of practitioners. Regarding Roger’s case, “it ain’t what he don’t know that’s the prollem, it’s what he knows fer sure that just ain’t so.”

Edited by VKurtB

Thanks Charmy....and thanks for spending the time to post your reports and information on multiple sites.  I know it takes time, but it's good for the entire hobby that you spread your information across multiple forums. (thumbsu

We are onto the counterfeiters.  Now if we can just get rid of this dead white space....xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

It was great to talk with you there Charmy, and really good report as always!

In answer to the note "I'd be interested to know your opinion or any other large cent collectors opinion on the quality of these fakes? Are they exceptionally deceptive or not, etc.. That is if there is enough info to base an opinion on from the available photos and TPG images, if available. I haven't looked myself yet but hope to have some time this weekend to study them", these are extremely deceptive! The 1798 "S-158" was originally thought to be a possible new Sheldon variety until a couple more with the same defects and diagnostics found. And the 1797 S-139 was considered one of the top 15 of the variety until also proven fake. Bad coins in genuine holders as genuine, certs have been deactivated.

Counterfeits seem to be everywhere, including the Show Guide they had for us...

Best, Jack.

CSN show guide.jpg

CSN show guide- COIN.jpg