• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another ASE scam!
1 1

15 posts in this topic

As far as I know, most things aren't reported, and when they are the resources are not there to send people to shut things down. I also don't know what laws apply or do not apply when these things are coming from a foreign country and if our government can't do anything unless it tries to come into our border.

It is a sad state of affairs. The internet has enabled a lot of this. Before the net, you would not even know that place existed.

If people and organizations -- are you listening ANA? -- reported all of these fakes, every time they show up, action would be taken. As it is, the US Mint claims to have no enforcement responsibility and sits on its hands while counterfeiters from China, Colorado, Peru, etc. make millions in profits.

You know the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true..."

My 75 year old dad bought TEN "American Silver Eagles" from a place called "Coiny" for $19.95 each. Of course, they were counterfeits. 

I felt so bad for him, that I bought him ten real ones for his 76th birthday. 

On 4/27/2023 at 1:48 PM, DSessom said:

You know the old saying "If it sounds too good to be true..."

My 75 year old dad bought TEN "American Silver Eagles" from a place called "Coiny" for $19.95 each. Of course, they were counterfeits. 

I felt so bad for him, that I bought him ten real ones for his 76th birthday. 

Sorry, they can make them look extremely real. You see, China has no rules against counterfeiting foreign currency. That’s the only thing you need to know. 

On 4/22/2023 at 1:18 PM, powermad5000 said:

It is a sad state of affairs. The internet has enabled a lot of this. Before the net, you would not even know that place existed.

AMEN, BROTHER! The internet has NOT helped numismatics. 

On 4/22/2023 at 3:07 PM, RWB said:

If people and organizations -- are you listening ANA? -- reported all of these fakes, every time they show up, action would be taken. As it is, the US Mint claims to have no enforcement responsibility and sits on its hands while counterfeiters from China, Colorado, Peru, etc. make millions in profits.

The ANA is making a pilgrimage to the guy you repeatedly defame as a counterfeiter as part of a Summer Seminar course. So they disagree with your slander. 

Edited by VKurtB

THESE fakes are NOT just interstate commerce, but international commerce, direct to the end consumer, which used to be enforceable as fraudulent use of U.S. Mail. Now, with a quasi-privatized postal service, and the fraudulent marketing by a badly regulated Internet (Can you say ‘fentanyl’?), jurisdiction is sketchy at best. This is what technology hath wrought. Enjoy it. Pffft! People are literally dying by the hundreds each day because of Internet crime. 

Edited by VKurtB

I do have one question about these clearly fake underpriced pieces - how well do they pass the “eyeball” test? Before you start with scales and XRF. 

On 5/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, VKurtB said:

I do have one question about these clearly fake underpriced pieces - how well do they pass the “eyeball” test? Before you start with scales and XRF. 

You actually think you would get a silver coin, if anything at all, for less than melt?  :insane: