• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone ever have a coin lost in the mail?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I’ve won a nice 1911-D German state 90th birthday Luepold 3 Mark Proof 65 on heritage auctions 4/6/23 old German state proofs don’t pop that much on market so I took a shot and I won the live bidding been awhile since I did any bidding on heritage auctions …

On 4/12/23 got an email from heritage with tracking number priority mail no problem , then on 4/15/23 it says it been delivered to my mailbox I been busy working 2 jobs I’m not home much as I used to be but my wife is home all time she knows I’m always buying coins she checked the mail nothing … Okay no problem 4/17/23 still no package or anything I asked neighbors see if they gotten it by mistake they all know me and my wife good nothing ! I figured Heritage auctions would send out coins that require signature ? I guess priority mail changed over the years it used to require signature all time … I’m just thankful this wasn’t like a $5,000+ coin ! I woulda been really pissed but it does seem like it’s more on USPS fault but they won’t admit it’s fault they say “it’s delivered” then it was delivered leaving the buyer (me) standing there like I’m a liar (I believe they scanned it as “delivered” but it still sitting in post office) 

I’ve had no problems with coins arriving in the mail I’ve bought $3,000 coins arrived in mail in first class cheesy bubble wrap envelope this the first time I’ve Had coin that has not arrived in the mail …

Oh and the joys of USPS ! They are difficult people to work with… hopefully they find my package ! 

Edited by Jason Abshier

It's happened to me a couple times. USPS was no help. They closed the cases as "delivered" because apparently they had been scanned in front of my mailbox. However in both cases the packages were actually put into other mailboxes. One was a few houses down, the other around the corner on the next street.  I did received the coins late, but only out of the kindness of my neighbors who received them and then delivered them to me.

Perhaps a bit of hope showing USPS looking: two weeks ago I received an Amazon package for a neighbor in my mailbox along with my mail. I walked the package to the correct address and hand delivered it. The next day the USPS mail lady rang my door and asked if I had received a package by mistake. I explained what happened. So they did make an attempt to find it. I don't know if it was  because it was Amazon, it was scanned in front of my house, or what.

I hope they find your package or it finds it's way to you.

@Redline68 that exactly what this Post office did to me yesterday I had time between my 2 jobs I stop over for a few minutes… talked to the lady behind counter she went in back seemed like only for a minute didn’t even really look for my package … she said it shows it was delivered , I told her I believed it was delivered to wrong mailbox ! Somewhere else … she went on like oh don’t worry we will find it , someone will turn it in “hopefully” then she asked “what was is it? What was in the box?” I’m like what business is that of yours ? (In back of my head I didn’t speak it out loudly) but I wouldn’t tell her … It seemed odd she would be asking me what was in the box …

hey it’s the risk we take when buying coins from auctions and online and so on … But I highly recommend auction houses should only send expensive collectibles and valuable items such as coins that Require a signature and photo ID to rightful owner ! For few more dollars I’d gladly pay for that extra security for my item 

it’s a decent nice toned coin that would of looked great in my Proof 3 mark set I’m putting together ,although I wanted PR66 DCAM which rarely shows up on auctions I settled for PR65 very decent coin for the grade …hopefully it shows up in my mailbox like I said I’m glad this was not like $5,000 coin or something higher caliber I would be really flipping out about it if it got lost in the mail

2E7A5CCA-B3FB-4B26-B704-0FACED07FB8D.jpeg

B2139D03-A974-44D4-880A-37AE023D303E.jpeg

Edited by Jason Abshier
Included pictures of the coin

I have had 3 coins go missing out of about 1000 over the past 40 something years.

The first was an 1877 Indian Cent. Two weeks after the coin showed delivered, I found the package in the flower garden next to the front porch.

The second was a coin from the US Mint. A kid took it from my mailbox but his dad marched him to my door with the coin. Great dad.

The third was a dime from ebay. Maybe a $20 coin. The seller called me everything you can think of. A few weeks later, I received it in a body bad from the post office. 

Sorry to hear about your problems with this delivery, I have been extraordinary lucky and have not lost a coin due to issues with the post office or any delivery service.   I did have one shipment temporarily in limbo but showed up the following day, that was my very first group of coins being returned from CAC which included my 09-SVDB, I would have been sick if that had gone missing.

@Coinbuf @ldhair first one for me as well … I’ve had tons of coins come through my mailbox no problem even ordered coins from overseas they shipped smoothly … I get the post office workers costly makes mistakes sometimes we are all human … but problem is they stand behind their technology act like it’s perfect “it delivered” sorry nothing we can do to help you …. It kinda bugs you when you hear that , real shame too not much solid ground for a buyer to stand when get stuck in this situation…. Heritage really can’t do anything about it they did their part sending it off the post office can care a less it shows it was delivered 

Stories like this are just another reason I seldom do business other than face to face at in-person auctions, mostly, or coin shows, less often. I have zero tolerance for mailing and shipping risks, and I know that about myself. I don't have the strength for the stress around it. I recently "won" a lot at a CNG Internet auction, and I had them hold it for me for a few days because I was coming to Pennsylvania.

Edited by VKurtB

@VKurtB you’re on point nothing beats Face to Face buying is the most safe way to obtain a coin one benefits of that is you get the coin that day right there on the spot no waiting or other mumble jumble …. Coin shows are nice but they don’t always have what I’m looking for, the glorious internet is like going to massive coin show everyday with thousands of private dealers who have websites plus auction houses. Overseas coin dealers and auction houses have some rare coins we can’t find here in US we are forced to buy through online and have it shipped … problem I see well even with auction houses why do they not offer higher shipping rates for and let the buyer determine what shipping they want ? Maybe I want priority with a signature and proof of Photo ID or drivers license that should be my choice after all I won/bought that Coin I’d rather have extra security on it while it’s being shipped …. Don’t laugh it’s not really laughing matter they send coins $2,000 up $10,000 in first class shipping with just tracking number to someone’s mailbox … the insurance is a joke that’s only “if it truly” gets lost but if it shows post officer worker “delivered it” all good nothing you can do about it … large auction houses and coin dealers need better way to ship more safely use the signature required shipping method simple as that 

update on yesterday I contacted USPS directly to open an investigation they will look into my local post office they told there is way they can pull up GPS within a few feet of my mailbox to make sure if it was delivered to my mailbox correctly (why my local post office did not mention this or look into this?? When I talked to them on Monday I have no clue)  or unless it was placed someone else’s mailbox the GPS will show it… 

I probably can file a police report as well if this coin is taken to any pawn/coin shop in my area since it been graded and has cert# if it turns up at and coin shops (even that’s a long shot might never find it anyways) ..

My close neighbors all know me well they don’t have that package by mistake if they did they would of returned it in my mailbox …Valuable items like that should always be sent requiring signature and proof of ID … if I were to send a coin to a member on here I guarantee you I would be sending priority mail that requires a signature from you … it’s just common sense extra security 

I think GC gives you four options for shipping coins . I just always go with the lower USPS it almost  always comes in a short amount of time. I don't think any mail or shipping companies requires a signature any more. I see them deliver and take a picture of the location and that is good enough. I think it will all work out and you will get your coin Jason

On 4/19/2023 at 7:16 AM, J P M said:

I don't think any mail or shipping companies requires a signature any more

They should . I believe Priority mail still has option signature is required also has option no signature if required we are going on Day 7 now still no coin in mailbox … Problem in today is a lot people are ignorant they’ll open someone else package on purpose or by mistake see what’s in there and keep for themselves or flip it off somewhere for quick cash … Not everyone is down to earth honest like we are on here , I’ve gotten my neighbor’s mail by mistake in the past I walk over their house and hand it to them like an honest human person should do so …

I feel this coin was dropped off in someone else’s mail box could of been crack house at end of neighborhood I wouldn’t know if that was the case I don’t see that coin ever being returned 

On another note I’ve heard some wacky stories of post office workers stealing packages and mail which highly condemn federal offense if caught …. I heard one story post office delivery person scanning packages near a home “delivered” then throwing the package back in USPS truck drive off on the route find houses that were empty or up for sale (nobody living in house) hide package on the porch later when their shift was over they’d drive by empty house and basically steal this package … they got caught by getting too greedy did it too many time … There’s some shady people out there not everyone is down to earth 

On 4/20/2023 at 8:20 AM, Jason Abshier said:

I feel this coin was dropped off in someone else’s mail box could of been crack house at end of neighborhood....

While I certainly do not appreciate the characterization of my humble abode referred to as a "crack house," -- I will call the Building's Department to determine if it is a sign of structural damage or bricks in need of pointing -- there are two things I would like to point out.  The employees of all ground and air transportation services, I believe, discharge their duties, as expected. Unfortunately, in big cities like mine, informal accommodations acceptable to both sides are worked out and occasionally the road to perdition, paved with good intentions, runs into roadblocks.

Something I ordered from a part of Florida bedeviled by the last hurricane wound up at my "mailbox" labeled on their website as "delivered."  The regular post guy and the Building's regular concierge shrugged their shoulders. [With a Moderator monitoring my post, I'll cut to the chase.] Nobody in authority could do anything so I took it upon myself to solve the mystery, and I did!  I started with the mailboxes and observed two large drop-down panels opened them exposing their contents. My box was on the top row, immediately surrounded by two on each side, one beneath mine, and two on either side of it.

One day, months later, the concierge handed me a package.  It seems it had been lodged directly in the box beneath mine "occupied" by an old woman who had been dead for years. I consider myself lucky. In fact, I returned the item (no longer needed) and having been a thorn in their side, requested they keep the nominal sum for postage, shipping and handling.

A couple of years ago I had a registered package with 20 coins from CAC suddenly go dark. Tracking on Registered packages is normally an exercise in futility anyway. The package, on the way to California from New Jersey actually tracked for the first 3 days, hitting 3 different postal units……all within 50 miles of each other. For the next 2 months there was no word on its location. Then out of the blue it started tracking again when it arrived in Atlanta. It was like Christmas come early. The package arrived 3 days later. It was a little banged up but not as bad as I was imagining. Other than that close call I’ve never lost a coin coming or going out of at least 1000 coins. 

Update the coin was recovered my wife went to post office asked if there was package turned in with my name on it to her luck it was just turned in matter of few hours before she went in asking about it … 

On 4/21/2023 at 2:50 PM, Jason Abshier said:

Update the coin was recovered my wife went to post office asked if there was package turned in with my name on it to her luck it was just turned in matter of few hours before she went in asking about it … 

I love a happy ending......(thumbsu