• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

State quarter on an experimental planchette
1 1

12 posts in this topic

If I happen to have one of the 1999 state quarter that was struck on a golden planchette where on earth would I take it to get it certified I live near Tacoma Wa I will probably just keep it with the rest of my worthless coins, just asking in case it’s worth anything

It's almost surely not gold. If you want more opinions, you could always get in touch with the Tacoma-Lakewood Coin Club. They are a member club of the PNNA, as is mine (Willamette, in Portland), and would surely be able to help you with any numismatic advice you might need.

The pictures are quite fuzzy and the New Mexico quarter is on a terrible angle to use as a comparison to a "normal" quarter. I think much better, clearer, and cropped photos are needed to give you an assessment of your coin in question.

I don’t see any gold on either coins although the picture is fuzzy and out of   focus … I highly doubt it’s solid gold more like gold plated ? Only way to know for sure is weight on a scale should weight out 5.670g if it is around that ball park ? Then it not solid gold which would weight heavier 

Sans better pictures, it would not be made of gold and if it did have a "gold" color it would be a mint error for missing the copper-nickel clad layer which would expose the copper underneath explaining the "gold" color. An example of this is shown in the picture below which is currently being sold on eBay. Coins of this type of error can sell for anywhere between $150-$600.

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by powermad5000

My coin weighs 5.9 grams but it surly isn’t as gold as the one above! I thank you guys for the advice again and I will try and post a better picture soon it’s late tonight and I’ve had a long day. 😅 I forget who told me but I think its an experimental coin because there really isn’t any ridges on the edge just a few light ones.

On 4/3/2023 at 3:43 AM, Stephaniec418 said:

It’s definitely not as gold as the Sacagawea coins either just saying 😃

It may just be a toned coin from something environmental it happens a lot.  

RE: "State quarter on an experimental planchette."

...and how did you determine this? Who did you consult for this definitive pronouncement?