• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My newest proof set arrived today
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Fraser's Washington portrait is so superior to the Flanagan version -- difficult to understand why it was rejected -- same for the reverse.

Edited by RWB

On 3/24/2023 at 3:10 PM, RWB said:

Fraser's Washington portrait is so superior to the Flanagan version -- difficult to understand why it was rejected -- same for the reverse.

At least the Obverse is still Lauren Fraser’s design.

On 5/21/2023 at 5:56 PM, dclxvi said:

I'm sorry. Not familiar with the term "woke". Can you explain it to me. How exactly does it apply to coin collecting?

Do a search for "woke" [with my user name as the author] on the forum and the explanation should become clear.

Edited by EagleRJO

I was hoping you would give me your insight since you posted it. Don't be shy. I love coin collecting and feel that political comments should stay off of the forums.

If you guys don't know who the women on the coins are maybe you should be the ones doing a search. Coins are meant to be educational. Having people of color should not scare you. These forums are for everyone, and everyone should feel included. I hope the moderators and NGC feel the same way.

On 3/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

2023 American Women, unfortunately I’ve only ever heard of one.

I am guessing the one you had heard of was Eleanor Roosevelt.  Some are pretty obscure.

On 5/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, dclxvi said:

If you guys don't know who the women on the coins are maybe you should be the ones doing a search. Coins are meant to be educational. Having people of color should not scare you. These forums are for everyone, and everyone should feel included. I hope the moderators and NGC feel the same way.

I am guessing many don't know most of them, but it's pretty easy to read up on them.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/american-women-quarters

Also, what is a moderator or NGC going to do if someone doesn't feel included?

2023 Quarters.jpg

On 5/22/2023 at 7:17 PM, dclxvi said:

They may not do anything, but I am going to ask.

I have been a regular participant on this board for quite a while, and a lurker long before that.  Discussions of coin collecting and related tangents really hasn't been about race, color, creed, gender or personal preferences.  I cant imagine how that has or would be a factor on this board where someone might not feel 'included" and you would ask a moderator or NGC to get involved.

Perhaps you are aware of a situation where people have not felt "included" that I am not aware of, or one that might even come up.  I just don't see it with this board.

On 3/24/2023 at 7:24 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

At least the Obverse is still Lauren Fraser’s design.

Fraser had already won the Washington Medal design competition and Sec of Treasury did not want to give the quarter design to her. He was also a confirmed misogynistic A-whole -- but his successor was also, despite differences in political party.

(Flanagan's quarter reverse had a family of eagles (similar to the one used on earlier platinum tokens), but Sec Treas ordered him to make something more conventional. Hence, the "hanging bat" design.)

On 5/22/2023 at 8:40 PM, dclxvi said:

Then please explain "the Mint has gone woke" comment.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, which is already explained in the links provided anyway.  So it will not be repeated here if people are unable to do a simple search indicated or read the referenced Wiki page.

On 3/24/2023 at 2:21 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

My newest proof set arrived today ...

2023 American Women

Also, the 2023 Innovation $1 coins including OH and LA from the P & D mints are hot off the presses on the way to me.  I am all up to date with the complete series including P, D, S Proof & RP coins through 2022, so time to work on 2023.

I think it's interesting that the "Underground Railroad" was picked as the innovation for OH as I would normally think of a thing for an innovation.

https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/american-innovation-dollar-coins/ohio-underground-railroad

https://www.usmint.gov/coins/coin-medal-programs/american-innovation-dollar-coins/louisiana-higgins-boat

2023 Innovation $1 Coins OH & LA P&D.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO