• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Bullion (ASE's) vs Proof DCAM

25 posts in this topic

I don't even think most ASE's at 70 are pulling all that much money. The newer issues like Rev Prf and Enhanced coins have drawn values away from the regular one's. I only have about a dozen slabbed with the majority at 69 and a couple at 70. Values are not much higher from the 69"s. With all the newer modern bullion the mint is kicking out, I think they're leaving the classic ASE's in the past. 

I don't really understand the Silver Eagle market but this might be a good time to cash out on some dates. They seem to be bringing much more than just the silver value. I don't know this will last for long.

I built my set one coin at a time from the mint. I quit in 2017 because of all the games the mint played. 

The MS70 Silver Eagles with no special label seem to be going for several hundred in general ATM looking at some bid results from Great Collections and eBay, which historically seems to be at a good price.  As the grade goes down to MS69 and lower prices drop like a rock, and bullion prices for silver are down considerably at about $22 per ounce when it looks like it should be in the high $20's to low $30's per ounce.

I would look at each year and label ASE you are considering selling and the specific bid results on sites like the two referenced, as well as the historical bullion prices, to make those decisions.

Silver 2 Yr Spot.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I am no expert on the ASE market at all.  I don't know the premiums that you have spent on your coins, so it is impossible to be to say whether selling your bullion is a wise "business decision."  However, I think you need to ask yourself, "Do I love the coins?"  If you love the ASE series, then enjoy it and don't worry about the unrealized gains/losses.  If you don't enjoy the series, cash them out and use the capital for a series that you love.  Good luck.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:30 PM, LDH Coins & Memorabilia said:

Hello coin guru's, hope all are doing well :) I'm little disappointed in the bullion market and thinking about dumping some ASE's to get other stuff. What are your thoughts about bullion prices and DCAM prices ? Does older DCAM years hold value better ? Thanx for your input :) 

I have a complete set of ungraded ASE's and I would not sell any at $21.95 today. Graded MS 70 or a proof will get you more money but raw coins will only get what a dealer can afford to pay. I will keep what I have they look nice.   

When you said BULLION you said it all.. that is what they are bullion.  not much better than spot when you try to dump them......  I like @JPM also have complete sets of ASE's un graded  MS are in a really nice Dansco and the proofs are still in OGP

On 3/15/2023 at 10:57 AM, zadok said:

...i dont consider either to be bullion plays...too many better avenues to buy bullion than to mess with either of these areas....

ASE are bullion coins, and below MS70 without special labels don't carry much of a premium and in general follow bullion spot prices from bid results on the referenced sites.

On 3/15/2023 at 10:07 AM, JT2 said:

When you said BULLION you said it all.. that is what they are bullion.  not much better than spot when you try to dump them......  I like @JPM also have complete sets of ASE's un graded  MS are in a really nice Dansco and the proofs are still in OGP

Ditto, in every respect. 

On 3/15/2023 at 11:07 AM, JT2 said:

....  I like @JPM also have complete sets of ASE's un graded  MS are in a really nice Dansco and the proofs are still in OGP

Ditto, except I like the Littleton albums for ASE's which have a book like binder spline with a label so you can see what it is on a bookshelf.

1986-2014 Silver Eagle Album - Littleton Small.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 3/15/2023 at 11:14 AM, EagleRJO said:

ASE are bullion coins, and below MS70 without special labels don't carry much of a premium and in general follow bullion spot prices from bid results on the referenced sites.

...yes but there r much better buys for bullion than ASE, especially as refer in lower grades....

On 3/15/2023 at 4:34 PM, zadok said:

...yes but there r much better buys for bullion than ASE, especially as refer in lower grades....

Depends on what you consider to be better.  For Bullion I occasionally purchase both bars and coins, with the coins having more of a premium and a little higher spread.  However, the coins are much nicer, and in the case of ASE's a collectible item with things like the Littleton albums noted above.

On 3/15/2023 at 6:16 PM, EagleRJO said:

Depends on what you consider to be better.  For Bullion I occasionally purchase both bars and coins, with the coins having more of a premium and a little higher spread.  However, the coins are much nicer, and in the case of ASE's a collectible item with things like the Littleton albums noted above.

...thats the good part bout this hobby/activity u can mix n match as u choose, bullion/collectible or collectible/bullion, best of both worlds...but once u phase in the collectibility part its sort of not bullion anymore but sometimes u can get the collectible for no premium so it can be both...i personally when buying bullion go for the no premium route, pure bullion usually in 100 ounce increments, at spot or very close to it....

Edited by zadok

On 3/15/2023 at 7:58 PM, zadok said:

i personally when buying bullion go for the no premium route, pure bullion usually in 100 ounce increments, at spot or very close to it....

I usually do pretty much the same with a 1 ounce or 100g gold bar and multiples of 10 ounce silver bars, and then each year add a gold bullion coin and silver ASE since I like the way those look.

Many thanks to all for the input. I started collecting ASE's as my first coins but I should have bailed out a few years ago. It is like musical chairs dealing with the mint LOL. I have some bullion bars but unfortunaly got into ASE's. I done chasing the yearly "ghost" ! I will go back to silver bars instead of ASE's. Thanx again !

Finding a good year ASE can be fun. I found this DCAM in a antique shop. I was able to pick it up for half price I was lucky. This one goes up and down in price like a thermometer in March

2017 S DCAM.jpg

I just started collecting coins so I figured I would play it safe and start by collecting graded eagles but the prices are all over the place with all the different labels, so now I'm working on a franklin whittman which is so much fun.

On 3/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, Edneckk said:

I just started collecting coins so I figured I would play it safe and start by collecting graded eagles but the prices are all over the place with all the different labels, so now I'm working on a franklin whittman which is so much fun.

No need to buy ASE's graded as they are only bullion coins.  Just buy them raw in mint state (BU raw grade) from a reputable bullion dealer like Apmex, JD Bullion or Littleton for a little over spot plus a dealer mark-up, which is somewhat more for older ones based on demand.  Keep in mind that spot prices for silver have been volatile, but appear to be at a relative low historically per the chart posted above.

Apmex 2022 BU Grade Silver Eagle

Ampex 1986 BU Grade Silver Eagle - First Year Issued

Then you can put them in albums, like the ones referenced above, or your own holders like capsules or after market slabs.

Direct-Fit Silver Eagle Coin Capsule

NGC Style Silver Eagle Coin Slab

Edited by EagleRJO

This is where the TPG "games" that many have cited come into play.  It is CLEARLY marketing when you are talking about all these grades and enhanced descriptions.  The price goes PARABOLIC when you go from 69 to 70...or when DCAM is added.....or for a limited edition like an Enhanced or Reverse Proof issue.

Now having said that.....it's one thing to make a big purchase of these as a so-called "investment" (how many times do we say that even the most conservative coins are NOT investments !!??) but another if you are just buying 1 or 2 because you "like the coins."

What do I mean by that ?  Well, I've paid up for some 70's and 69's for special coins I like such as the Augustus Saint-Gaudens National Park Foundation coins.  I'd love to buy one of the gold coins replicating some of the patterns he created while designing the Double Eagle and Eagle coins in 1905-07.  But gold 'aint cheap. xD

The high cost of anything in gold leads to the problem with the silver producs:  they are WAY overpriced because they ARE affordable to many more people.  Alot of the keyboard stay-at-home folks we picked up in 2020-22 can't spend $2,500 on an actual or replica Double Eagle.....but they CAN pay $75 or $150 or $250 for 1 ounce of silver struck with unique obverse and reverses.

Edited by GoldFinger1969