• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guessing Game, With a Difference
1 1

97 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2023 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

There already is a coin dealer trade group - the Professional Numismatist’s Guild, PNG. You have to be a dealer with over a half million in net assets to join. Do that. Leave the ANA to those who desire to push the educational mandate. 

...agree again, but u know as well as i know having their own fiefdom is not enuf they want the total empire, control from both outside n inside hence the big push to elect their members to the ANA  board so all decisions affecting money n business associations meets the dealers needs n desires...the collectors r a captive audience n have to follow n not be allowed to lead the hobby....

On 3/7/2023 at 3:07 PM, VKurtB said:

.... Think about that. Now, talk to me about how important Registry Sets are. 

For the information and edification of members who take for granted where you stand on Set Registries and Registrants, I have spent the better part of an hour* trying to find an incriminating tidbit as to where the OP stands on the issue, and found it!  

"I AM WORKING ON ONE REGISTRY SET THAT I HAVE BEEN KEEPING PRIVATE." 

For those so inclined, I direct your kind attention to the Topic:  "AU-59: MYSTERY SOLVED," and the complete post for context as recorded for posterity dated September 7, 2021.

*my bill for research hours expended will be in the mail.  🤣

The answer is ONE.  Cliff Mishler owns exactly ONE slabbed coin. Think about that. Now, talk to me about how important Registry Sets are. 

I know of a few collectors that’s all they have is Raw , Raw , Raw coins not a single slab … nothing wrong with that I worked with a fellow his great grandfather started coin collection gave it down to his grandfather then his father now him … he called me over his house one day showed me it was a huge Raw coin collection over 1,000+ coins ! Seated dimes , standing liberty quarter some with Full heads ! In Gem condition , Morgan dollars and so on nice walking Liberty halves as well just to name a few…. This stuff would sell like hot potatoes in the future when dealers are looking for fresh material to send in for grading … I myself have more Raw coins than I do slabbed coins I go both ways I’m not into registries 

On 4/13/2023 at 8:29 PM, Henri Charriere said:

For the information and edification of members who take for granted where you stand on Set Registries and Registrants, I have spent the better part of an hour* trying to find an incriminating tidbit as to where the OP stands on the issue, and found it!  

"I AM WORKING ON ONE REGISTRY SET THAT I HAVE BEEN KEEPING PRIVATE." 

For those so inclined, I direct your kind attention to the Topic:  "AU-59: MYSTERY SOLVED," and the complete post for context as recorded for posterity dated September 7, 2021.

*my bill for research hours expended will be in the mail.  🤣

And when my Registry Set is complete, it will consist of eight (8) coins. I own over 100,000 coins.

On 3/13/2023 at 3:37 PM, zadok said:

...this issue is a bit more complex than just the merits of collecting online/internet and/or going to coin shows...true, the real essence of collecting anything is the face to face interaction of looking, dealing, buying the items u collect, the camaraderie, personal interaction, reacquaintances one experiences... those days r slipping by if not disappearing, the world has changed n continues to do so, the hobby must also change or it will be left behind as we knew it...but this discussion is more than just about the hobby, it is also about the ANA, which some believe should be the face of the hobby, a roll that the ANA has abrogated voluntarily...why would it do that? priorities n influences changed as personnel running the association changed n their goals for the hobby changed...there r some basics to consider, first the ANA n its membership is a miniscule portion of the hobby, its like 2/1000% of the coin collecting community, i personally doubt that it would increase significantly if membership were free...next the goals of the ANA have changed, it started out as a collectors organization based on education n information n morphed into a controlling group that r little interested in the collectors, except that they need them, no its more of a for dealers organization n the associated businesses that the dealers need...hence, the closely knit associations between the ANA n the show promoters n the dealers that support those associations...the collectors n the education/information basis of the organization r still paid lip service but the priorities r elsewhere...vkurt questions why the board members n officers of the organization were not aware of nor participate in forums such as this one, its because they choose not to...it does not serve their purposes...back to the original issue, its not the merits of online participation versus in person participation, that is just a small part of the issue n the part that the ANA plays is deeply conflicted, its more about the collector versus the dealer n the association/show promoter versus the collector...sure the ANA could be very active on forums like this one but it does not serve their goals to do so...

There are presently over 27,000 members of the ANA. What is the TOTAL (all time) of regular forum contributors? Far far less, I'd venture to say. In fact, the membership of the coin club in one town of about 50,000 people (Lancaster, PA)  exceeds the number of folks who contribute here. THIS, this right here, is the insignificant sliver of the hobby. So what then is the core of the hobby? Simple. It's people who read essentially nothing, don't use online forums, are completely unfocused at best, and woefully ignorant at worst. Ask any dealer who has had one of these "collections" (accumulations, really) dumped on their counter. The core of this hobby is a hot mess, just ready to be shorn like sheep by YouTube charlatans.

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/16/2023 at 12:29 PM, VKurtB said:

There are presently over 27,000 members of the ANA. What is the TOTAL (all time) of regular forum contributors? Far far less, I'd venture to say. In fact, the membership of the coin club in one town of about 50,000 people (Lancaster, PA)  exceeds the number of folks who contribute here. THIS, this right here, is the insignificant sliver of the hobby. So what then is the core of the hobby? Simple. It's people who read essentially nothing, don't use online forums, are completely unfocused at best, and woefully ignorant at worst. Ask any dealer who has had one of these "collections" (accumulations, really) dumped on their counter. The core of this hobby is a hot mess, just ready to be shorn like sheep by YouTube charlatans.

...pretty much rite on...the core of the hobby is mostly uninformed n basically low-hanging-fruit ripe for the plucking, they r the pluckees n there r may of the pluckers just waiting on ebay, etsy n at local flea markets n estate sales to do just that...i go to probably 2 local estate/consignment sales every week, occasionally finding a truffle or two, but the exhibition of "collectors" ignorance is overwhelming, i recently witnessed these individuals paying $65-$70 for one ounce statehood ingots...$0.40 each for buffalo nickels with no dates...$0.20 each for common indian cents in ag3 condition...$50-$60 for common roosevelt circ dimes per $ face...i venture to say that not one of them belong to the ANA, n they think they r getting great deals, the ANA provides sound advice n solid basic coin collecting guidelines n editorials in the Numismatist, but its only beneficial if collectors read it...the hot mess u reference is the wanders in the wilderness n im not sure there is a Moses in our hobby on the horizon for them....

Edited by zadok
grammar

On 4/16/2023 at 3:15 PM, zadok said:

...pretty much rite on...the core of the hobby is mostly uninformed n basically low-hanging-fruit ripe for the plucking, they r the pluckees n there r may of the pluckers just waiting on ebay, etsy n at local flea markets n estate sales to do just that...i go to probably 2 local estate/consignment sales every week, occasionally finding a truffle or two, but the exhibition of "collectors" ignorance is overwhelming, i recently witnessed these individuals paying $65-$70 for one ounce statehood ingots...$0.40 each for buffalo nickels with no dates...$0.20 each for common indian cents in ag3 condition...$50-$60 for common roosevelt circ dimes per $ face...i venture to say that not one of them belong to the ANA, n they think they r getting great deals, the ANA provides sound advice n solid basic coin collecting guidelines n editorials in the Numismatist, but its only beneficial if collectors read it...the hot mess u reference is the wanders in the wilderness n im not sure there is a Moses in our hobby on the horizon for them....

Rhetorical question: At what point do we have to throw up our hands in hopeless derision at what seems to be the "real" coin market - you know, the ones The Kid described to Sheriff Bart in Blazing Saddles - m-o-r-o-n-s?

On 4/16/2023 at 11:43 PM, VKurtB said:

Rhetorical question: At what point do we have to throw up our hands in hopeless derision at what seems to be the "real" coin market - you know, the ones The Kid described to Sheriff Bart in Blazing Saddles - m-o-r-o-n-s?

...rhetorical answer: u dont, its one of those situations, much like telling ur kids whats best for them, u just hope that it gets better n be there for them when they want ur advice...some but not most of the hobby core will mature over time n become true collectors with bone fide goals in mind, many will abandon the hobby after suffering losses n some will just continue to buy stuff n hope for the best...im not sure there will ever be a unified "voice" for the betterment of the hobby, forums such as this help but as u mentioned reach less than 1% of the core, the ANA n ANS make valiant attempts to educate the hobby but again memberships r lacking, the PNG as far as i can tell just give that aspect of the hobby lip service if anything at all, sadly as they probably have a more influential opportunity than the other orgs since they r the "first responders"  per se since they interact with both the core n newbies on the front lines, but as we all know their priorities r $$$s...i keep trying to draw parallels between numismatics n philately hobby-wise to demonstrate pitfalls but have had little success, the money impacts r just too dissimilar n the collector/dealer relationships r drastically different...in short i dont have a good answer...i guess we just do our individual best....

On 4/17/2023 at 6:57 AM, zadok said:

...rhetorical answer: u dont, its one of those situations, much like telling ur kids whats best for them, u just hope that it gets better n be there for them when they want ur advice...some but not most of the hobby core will mature over time n become true collectors with bone fide goals in mind, many will abandon the hobby after suffering losses n some will just continue to buy stuff n hope for the best...im not sure there will ever be a unified "voice" for the betterment of the hobby, forums such as this help but as u mentioned reach less than 1% of the core, the ANA n ANS make valiant attempts to educate the hobby but again memberships r lacking, the PNG as far as i can tell just give that aspect of the hobby lip service if anything at all, sadly as they probably have a more influential opportunity than the other orgs since they r the "first responders"  per se since they interact with both the core n newbies on the front lines, but as we all know their priorities r $$$s...i keep trying to draw parallels between numismatics n philately hobby-wise to demonstrate pitfalls but have had little success, the money impacts r just too dissimilar n the collector/dealer relationships r drastically different...in short i dont have a good answer...i guess we just do our individual best....

Had you given up on telling YOUR kids what's best for them? I never did, and he's now a married man who will turn 28 in a few weeks. He appreciates the advice and has repeatedly thanked his mother and me for that advice. The one gripe I never had about his Mom was her parenting skills. Of course, she is of an ethnicity (Greek) which honors parenting, often invasive parenting. I'm of English/German (my new wife calls me 'Hun') extraction, hardly laissez faire. There ain't a drop of French blood in me.

Edited by VKurtB

On 4/17/2023 at 10:07 PM, VKurtB said:

Had you given up on telling YOUR kids what's best for them? I never did, and he's now a married man who will turn 28 in a few weeks. He appreciates the advice and has repeatedly thanked his mother and me for that advice. The one gripe I never had about his Mom was her parenting skills. Of course, she is of an ethnicity (Greek) which honors parenting, often invasive parenting. I'm of English/German (my new wife calls me 'Hun') extraction, hardly laissez faire. There ain't a drop of French blood in me.

...all the more reason to partake of some fine french wine...of course for serious imbibing u should go with the single malt...but to answer ur question, no but they often didnt listen but i remain available for counsel (n of course checkbook in hand)...ive come to the conclusion that my children r probably smarter than me, especially in all things 21st century....

On 4/18/2023 at 9:24 AM, zadok said:

...all the more reason to partake of some fine french wine...of course for serious imbibing u should go with the single malt...but to answer ur question, no but they often didnt listen but i remain available for counsel (n of course checkbook in hand)...ive come to the conclusion that my children r probably smarter than me, especially in all things 21st century....

I do loves me some Bordeaux and Rhone reds, and, and, and some amber gifts of the earth, and still, from Scotland. I'm going back over in September.

On 4/18/2023 at 10:54 AM, VKurtB said:

I do loves me some Bordeaux and Rhone reds, and, and, and some amber gifts of the earth, and still, from Scotland. I'm going back over in September.

...my youngest daughter lives there now n brings me 7 amber gifts per visit home....

Cliff Mishler's collection sounds fascinating! I'll take a guess and say around 15% of his U.S. high-grade coins are slabbed. It's low but not zero, as you hinted. I can't wait to hear the answer after your grocery run! You could also use a coin flip generator to make the decision. Good luck! And let us know how it turned out.

Edited by Dewanyagen

The answer is ONE.  Cliff Mishler owns exactly ONE slabbed coin. Think about that....

It appears the newly-joined newbie (Note the Hand!) above, has provided an up-to-the minute census on Cliff Mishler's slabbed holdings that ought to give you pause!  🤣

I have 650 raw coins and 57 graded coins most of which I sent in for grading. I use my registry for mostly my own selected graded raw coins. I see the grading process as an educated reasonable consensus on the condition of the coin within one numerical grade up or down. Some may see it firmly in grade some may see it as a slider while others weak thus the spread. Grading and encapsulation simplifies the sale or the transaction for a coin since an educated reputable and reasonable starting point has been established prior due to the grading. I do both.   

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 3/8/2023 at 2:35 PM, VKurtB said:

SLABS ARE NOT PROTECTIVE, PERIOD! Let’s stop that pernicious myth (lie)  right here and right now!

Slabs are not hermetically sealed but they are protective from dust, abrasion, damage, moisture (within reason) as well as handling marks, grease, oils or any other direct surface contaminants. Once again VKURT you are WRONGO!

On 10/13/2023 at 3:01 AM, powermad5000 said:

.... Collecting began not long after coins were minted.... 

[And, "the idea of money is older than the idea of counterfeit money, but older perhaps, by no more than a few minutes."  🤣

A word about "shyster"... which was coined by Gerald Cohen a Manhattan newspaper editor in  1843-1844 who formed the word from the vulgar German word, Schiesse (= excrement) hence "scheisser" became "shyster." While shylock maintains an anti-semitic slant, no such taint is associated with shyster.

Finally, a coin exhibiting patina is referred to as being "patinated."]

Submitted for the general membership's approval in good faith.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:06 PM, VKurtB said:

I got to talk at length with Cliff Mishler who has a VERY extensive collection, across MANY genres. Of course his exonumia is raw, and he does have an extensive collection of “sample slabs”. But guess, either by raw number or by percentage, how many of his U.S. high grade coins are slabbed. Hint: the number is low, but NOT zero. And the sample slabs don’t count. I’m going to get groceries. If there are a few guesses, I’ll give the answer then. 

I've always loved these types of games. Participated in many quests. I thought about building a career even on this. Now I’ve grown a little and started reading about no deposit finland, I found no deposit bonus finland for this. Now everything is electronic, so it is very convenient. I don’t know how people used to live without the Internet. Although people had more communication than now. Nowadays absolutely everyone plays games on computers on the Internet. Previously, everyone went out and walked. This is the only negative in my opinion.

Edited by davidturner

On 2/18/2024 at 6:15 AM, davidturner said:

I've always loved these types of games. Participated in many quests. I thought about building a career even on this. Now everything is electronic, so it is very convenient. I don’t know how people used to live without the Internet. Although people had more communication than now. Nowadays absolutely everyone plays games on computers on the Internet. Previously, everyone went out and walked. This is the only negative in my opinion.

I have not a single game on any of my electronic devices. None. 

I am going to use the 27,000 ANA member figure given earlier upthread, as my point of departure for the following facts and figures, as Rod Serling would say, "submitted for your approval."

While figures regarding the top two TPGS are not exactly broadcast to the four winds, they can be found. Herewith, the latest as of this post's date.

NGC has 30,000 members who own 280,000 sets on its registry comprising some 1.6 million coins. 

PCGS has 43,000 members who own 166,000 sets comprising some 2.6 million coins. 

The top Blue Whale appears to be an NGC member few heard of:  "XIXIXI."  He owns 395 competitive sets with an impressive total score of 27, 286, 886.

The U.S. has the lion's share of sets on the NGC registry:  213,936.  The smallest number of sets, just 1 each, is shared by two locations: Equatorial African States and South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands, off Antarctica.

I do not have an accurate estimate of the number of regular Chat Board members but have noted that the figure fluctuates throughout the day and night, over a number of time zones with "guests" (formerly "lurkers,"?) predominating.

Members are free to draw their own conclusions.  🐓 

On 10/12/2023 at 11:30 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Slabs are not hermetically sealed but they are protective from dust, abrasion, damage, moisture (within reason) as well as handling marks, grease, oils or any other direct surface contaminants. Once again VKURT you are WRONGO!

The truth is "The Truth," lies somewhere in between. When you consider all the instances where milk spots and so-called carbon spots have developed in OGH, SDB as well as TPGS encapsulations, not to mention all manner of toning, you come to the realization that PMD may be abated but there is no environment or circumstance, within reason, that provides perfect preservation.  I recall a discussion regarding, for lack of knowledge of the formal term used, a TPGS' "warrant of habitability." Encapsulations are not Final Resting Places.  A diamond may be "forever," but slabbed coins aren't. We have members whose coins have inexplicably undergone changes in color, luster and overall eye appeal, while encapsulated in climate-controlled conditions which, in many cases, is the very reason(s) they chose to acquire the piece in the first place. It is analogous to water-resistant vs. water-proof. I have never heard another member insist on slabbing for no other reason than protection.  They make do with what coin collectors have since caveman days: flips, air-tites, albums -- oh, and pallets.  The stone coins are on their own.   🤣

On 2/19/2024 at 8:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The truth is "The Truth," lies somewhere in between. When you consider all the instances where milk spots and so-called carbon spots have developed in OGH, SDB as well as TPGS encapsulations, not to mention all manner of toning, you come to the realization that PMD may be abated but there is no environment or circumstance, within reason, that provides perfect preservation.  I recall a discussion regarding, for lack of knowledge of the formal term used, a TPGS' "warrant of habitability." Encapsulations are not Final Resting Places.  A diamond may be "forever," but slabbed coins aren't. We have members whose coins have inexplicably undergone changes in color, luster and overall eye appeal, while encapsulated in climate-controlled conditions which, in many cases, is the very reason(s) they chose to acquire the piece in the first place. It is analogous to water-resistant vs. water-proof. I have never heard another member insist on slabbing for no other reason than protection.  They make do with what coin collectors have since caveman days: flips, air-tites, albums -- oh, and pallets.  The stone coins are on their own.   🤣

image.thumb.jpg.006fe7fa446933f487f2b57fc78f8712.jpgThe Island of Yap really doesn’t have much of a problem with illegally exported coins. Weighing baggage can take care of it. As for slabs being about “preservation”, please. Spare me. There are superior methods to preserve coins, compared with ANY third party grading service’s slab. One is pictured above. Way cheaper too. Why is it superior? UNLIKE any TPGS slab, the two halves of the capsule are more chemically inert than (especially) the soft inner holder in any slab. Now if I were suggesting an AirTite holder with the foam adapter, then THAT would not be superior. You have to eliminate ANYTHING soft. You need actual perfect fitting capsules. That means … INVENTORY. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/19/2024 at 9:39 PM, VKurtB said:

image.thumb.jpg.006fe7fa446933f487f2b57fc78f8712.jpgThe Island of Yap really doesn’t have much of a problem with illegally exported coins. Weighing baggage can take care of it. As for slabs being about “preservation”, please. Spare me. There are superior methods to preserve coins, compared with ANY third party grading service’s slab. One is pictured above. Way cheaper too. Why is it superior? UNLIKE any TPGS slab, the two halves of the capsule are more chemically inert than (especially) the soft inner holder in any slab. Now if I were suggesting an AirTite holder with the foam adapter, then THAT would not be superior. You have to eliminate ANYTHING soft. You need actual perfect fitting capsules. That means … INVENTORY. Put on your big boy pants and deal with it. 

The coin pictured above reminds me of the 1-kilo Kookaburra I had.  Point well taken.  Curious, did you manage to find the coin you were looking for in Germany?

On 2/19/2024 at 9:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

The coin pictured above reminds me of the 1-kilo Kookaburra I had.  Point well taken.  Curious, did you manage to find the coin you were looking for in Germany?

I found several, plus some unexpected purchases. But the British shillings were not up to my standards. Too low grades. I did pick up a BU 1943 Australian shilling though. 

On 3/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, Sandon said:

Many older collectors like Mr. Mishler and, to some extent, me are resistant to having their coins third-party graded and conducting their coin collecting activities online....

My 450 or so certified coins now largely reside in my largest safe deposit box, a 10 by 10 box that's so heavy that I need a hand truck to move it from the vault!  I'm able to lift other safe deposit boxes that contain many more coins....

(I'm amazed that no one else on these forums has noted this problem with certified holders.) ....

I had the pleasure of viewing your list of custom sets -- I was left totally in awe, nay, intimidated by what I saw --and am, accordingly, delighted to inform you that you are not resistant, by any means, to having your coins third-party graded. (It's a good thing I was seated as I would have broken my broken leg if I weren't!)  :roflmao:

It is time to trade-in that hand truck for an industrial strength forklift.  🤣

And lastly, I suspect most members  only wish they had your problem vis-a-vis the gross aggregate tonnage of metal an accumulation of encapsulations pose.  My 🐓 registry sets, 8 here, 16 over there, the entire extent of my holdings, are manageable.  Your custom sets are nothing less than stunning.  :golfclap:

On 2/19/2024 at 9:06 PM, Henri Charriere said:

You know what the coin is, right? It’s the 2023 King Charles Coronation silver “Britannia” 1 ounce, 2 pounds sterling coin. It was acquired at Coinex 2023 last October in London. My stock portfolio’s increases could allow yet another trip across the pond, but my wife’s impending surgeries will not. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/9/2023 at 10:21 AM, VKurtB said:

And yet one of THE MOST attended talks at the ANA show was EXACTLY ON THAT  - what and how to collect. And I’m NEVER going to stop. This kum bay yah, do your own thing stuff is idiotic. There are standards. If you CHOOSE to ignore basic standards, it is YOU who leave behind befuddled heirs who will be struggling to not get taken. 

Began to wonder if the ANA had released a video on this subject, so typed into YouTube:

ANA What and how to collect coins?

The ANA descriptor below the lesson contains your words almost verbatim:

This informal class will help you decide what to collect and how to store your collection.

On 2/21/2024 at 12:32 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

Began to wonder if the ANA had released a video on this subject, so typed into YouTube:

ANA What and how to collect coins?

The ANA descriptor below the lesson contains your words almost verbatim:

This informal class will help you decide what to collect and how to store your collection.

Amazing, huh? It’s not all “do your own thing”, “whatever floats your boat”, or “kum bah yah”. If I believe something is right or useful, it’s not ONLY my RIGHT to promote doing things my way, it is closer to a sacred obligation. 

On 2/21/2024 at 1:49 PM, VKurtB said:

Amazing, huh? It’s not all “do your own thing”, “whatever floats your boat”, or “kum bah yah”. If I believe something is right or useful, it’s not ONLY my RIGHT to promote doing things my way, it is closer to a sacred obligation. 

Blast from the Past!

🐓 :  Is this place great or what?

Q.A.:  Tell me about it.  Good natured camaraderie and jargoning.  Accommodating hosts. A Win-Win!