• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guessing Game, With a Difference
1 1

97 posts in this topic

On 2/21/2024 at 1:01 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Blast from the Past!

🐓 :  Is this place great or what?

Q.A.:  Tell me about it.  Good natured camaraderie and jargoning.  Accommodating hosts. A Win-Win!

I was 13 in 1968. I never was even CLOSE to being a flower child. I was “Alex Keaton” before Michael J. Fox ever read the -script. I think the role was based on me. The difference was that Alex Keaton’s GIRLFRIEND attended Franklin & Marshall College. I real life, I DID! I fought my liberal professors tooth and nail for four years. Still, 6 of 8 semesters on Dean’s list. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/19/2024 at 10:58 PM, VKurtB said:

I found several, plus some unexpected purchases. But the British shillings were not up to my standards. Too low grades. I did pick up a BU 1943 Australian shilling though. 

...let me get this straight...u went all the way to berlin n bought an australian coin struck in the united states?...thats determination, was it a philly striking?....

On 2/22/2024 at 10:06 AM, zadok said:

...let me get this straight...u went all the way to berlin n bought an australian coin struck in the united states?...thats determination, was it a philly striking?....

Aw hells naw. It was a San Fran. 

I used to collect Large Cents, sold them to finance My antique tractor hobby. More fun, generally friendly people. I still check out the forums here, just to see certain egotistical people implying that collecting is not fun, but must follow their ideals. Kind of weird when people are destroying the hobby by looking down on the ones who just want to enjoy collecting. I'm starting to think you might have to be a pompous a--  to be a "true" collector....

Edited by Treeman
fix a word

On 2/26/2024 at 12:48 PM, Treeman said:

I used to collect Large Cents, sold them to finance My antique tractor hobby. More fun, generally friendly people. I still check out the forums here, just to see certain egotistical people implying that collecting is not fun, but must follow their ideals. Kind of weird when people are destroying the hobby by looking down on the ones who just want to enjoy collecting. I'm starting to think you might have to be a pompous a--  to be a "true" collector....

...hate to see the cert slabs for those babies...but as least fedex cant lose them....

"Implying that collecting is not fun"?  You've been here a lot longer than I have. I have read a great deal about certifications and raw, albums vs. Set Registries and perhaps being amused by collectors' respective areas of interest, but I would not go so far as to suggest there are those who would imply that "collecting is not fun," or adversely affecting the hobby by belittling those whose interests diverge from theirs. We might good-naturedly needle those whose obsessions are a bit over the top, but that's about the extent of it. I love old copper.  Thanks for dropping in.