• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Finally got my 1921 D Morgan Dollar
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I got it as a raw coin, and comparing it to Photograde, it appears to be MS 61-63? Also quite a few die breaks indicating maybe a VAM variety, But after searching through 1921 D on Vam World, I can see some markers but doesn't seem to match known varieties. Any help with the grade or the VAM determination?

IMG-0020 (1).JPG

IMG-0022 (1).JPG

IMG-0021 (1).JPG

IMG-0019 (1).JPG

IMG-0018 (1).JPG

IMG-0023 (1).JPG

IMG-6382.jpg

IMG-6381.jpg

IMG-0023 (1).JPG

IMG-6382 (1).jpg

IMG-6381 (1).jpg

Same problem I ran in to on my 22' Peace Dollar. Soo many vams! Best thing is just look for the prominent die markers and start narrowing down from there. The 21's had tons of die cracks so that may not be the best way to find the right vam. 

Thanks Sandon. I wasn’t going to send it in, but wanted some idea of grade and variety. I did see the hairlines and of course the seller posted a fuzzy picture. But no problem I was just wanting one of each Morgan mint for the set. It only cost me $40 so no big deal. Thanks for looking. You too Bsshog!

VAM-1AE2 is not listed in the NGC variety plus section for a 1921 D, so I don't know how widely recognized it is. I agree with Sandon and believe the coin to have been cleaned. As far as details I would say if submitted the coin would return as AU Details - Cleaned as I can see wear on the hair and the top of the cap on the obverse and parts of the ribbon and eagles breast feathers on the reverse.

On 2/19/2023 at 3:10 PM, powermad5000 said:

You can use this as a reference as for details.

I would use the PCG$ CoinFacts for specific certified comparison coins, which has 1921-D PO1 thru 1921-D MS67+ for comparison (see the following link).  NGC doesn't have a comparable reference of I would link that.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1921-d-1/images/7298

Also, even if NGC VarietyPlus doesn't have the VAM-1AE2, that is the one that matches spot on.  It's not a special variety so it probably doesn't matter if submitted to NGC for grading, which I wouldn't recommend doing as the coin's NGC value is only $40 for a AU, and slightly less for an XF.