• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 Penny Lip Error?

24 posts in this topic

I was looking at my coins and noticed a strange lip on a new 2022 penny. Has anyone seen anything like this? I call it the busted lip penny. Lol.

A added the lip one and a normal one. 

Thanks!

Screenshot_20230218_004814.jpg

Screenshot_20230218_004840.jpg

I appreciate everyone that was respectful and offered their expertise on what it is and it is not... but your response was unnecessary and did not add anything constructive to this thread. This is just blatant mean criticism in a NEWBIE thread.

Do better.

On 2/18/2023 at 1:08 PM, JNelson27 said:

I appreciate everyone that was respectful and offered their expertise on what it is and it is not... but your response was unnecessary and did not add anything constructive to this thread. This is just blatant mean criticism in a NEWBIE thread.

Do better.

I don't see it as mean. Just honest truth. 

On 2/18/2023 at 6:17 PM, ldhair said:

I don't see it as mean. Just honest truth. 

I loves me some honest truth. This requirement that everyone be “constructive” and “positive” is just silliness. Some things just don’t lend themselves to positivity, and one of those is the way some people interact with coins. 

On 2/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, bsshog40 said:

If I can't see it with the naked eye, it ain't worth wondering about. What a waste of time!!

Completely agree.  I have a scope and only use it to verify what I am seeing with no or little magnification, or to look for specific die markers when evaluating a coin.

On 2/18/2023 at 2:08 PM, JNelson27 said:

...but your response was unnecessary and did not add anything constructive to this thread. This is just blatant mean criticism in a NEWBIE thread.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, and were provided straight forward answers, so maybe you could elaborate.

On 2/18/2023 at 8:04 PM, JNelson27 said:

Yikes! What a group. My comment was only for bsshog40... and I thought his response was quoted. Anyway, bye.

I agree that the anomaly is a minor defect of some sort and if the OP wants to delve into it further that's cool. My opinion is that it is as previously mentioned, a die chip, blister, PMD, etc..  Nothing wrong with educating one's self in what is a worthwhile defect and a common occurrence, which this example is.

This a great place to learn if your willing to listen, just saying. I'm in MI and hope to be at the next show in Grandville, I should make the K'zoo show too, depending on my travel schedule for work, hope to see you at one of them. (thumbsu 

Small die chips are pretty common on coins. They usually happen alot when the die starts getting worn out. And it seems with the modern coins they run them until they are worn pretty bad.  If you start roll hunting you will start finding severalof them.  Seems like I find more on modern dimes than I do anything for some reason.  Coins with machine doubling are very common also due mostly to worn dies.  Seems the quality control at the mint isnt the greatest these days. 

On 2/18/2023 at 7:49 PM, JNelson27 said:

Where was I not listening? I didn't argue with anyone. I just noted that I thought a particular response was rude. That's all.

I was merely saying how I feel about these minor anomalies on coins. They are a waste of time to me. They have no value and basically no collectors who will pay extra for them. There are PLENTY of threads on this forum asking about minor things on coins. You probably could have answered your own question by looking at older threads. If you took me as being mean and rude, then so be it. If you like looking for things like that, then go for it. But don't expect me to worry about your feelings. I'm not a comfort dog! 

And ALWAYS pace yourself and take breaks, if you’re at a biggish show. It is easy to get overwhelmed. If you see a dealer who has material you like, but is already busy, write down the booth number and circle back. 

On 2/18/2023 at 9:28 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Small die chips ... Coins with machine doubling ... happens alot when the die starts getting worn out. And it seems with the modern coins they run them until they are worn pretty bad ... Seems the quality control at the mint isnt the greatest these days. 

Seems like the mint is getting every coin possible out of a pair of dies, just like the old days.  Makes for a little more interesting roll hunting, even if they are not worth a premium.  And I like a cost conscious government that works for us. :preach:

On 2/18/2023 at 8:04 PM, JNelson27 said:

Yikes! What a group. My comment was only for bsshog40... and I thought his response was quoted. Anyway, bye.

It's all good.  You can tag them using @name or quote them if it's intended for an individual.  However, it is a post in an open forum, so if you only want a particular individual to see a post then send them a PM.

Btw, welcome to the forum, and since you are newer I would recommend checking out the following thread posted by Sandon ... https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/#comment-9817530

Welcome Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/18/2023 at 7:04 PM, JNelson27 said:

With all due respect, making a post on this forum allows everyone to read it. If you wanted to ask a specific person a question, you should PM them. The people on here are extremely knowledgeable. Please do not mistake their opinions as being rude when they are only being straightforward and honest in their assessment. In your shoes, I would appreciate them sharing their knowledge with you on a volunteer basis. Collecting is a forever learning experience as no one person knows all and there is always something new to learn.

My question was not for a particular person... my response was. I have never argued anyone on their expertise or responses that add to my knowledge. I was merely pointing out that I thought a particular person's response was rude.

Anyway, for the sake of everyone's time... I'll ask that this thread NOT continue unless it's to discuss the coin in question. Not that there is anything else about it to discuss really.