• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-1 Silver vs Kienast-386
1 1

21 posts in this topic

I don't know the answer other than they probably switched reference books at some point in time, going from the Bruce book to the Kienast book. 

I've also see these labeled as 5 Mark, Medallic 5 Mark, and Medal. So it seems that they aren't consistent on that either. 

On 2/15/2023 at 5:11 PM, gmarguli said:

I don't know the answer other than they probably switched reference books at some point in time, going from the Bruce book to the Kienast book. 

I've also see these labeled as 5 Mark, Medallic 5 Mark, and Medal. So it seems that they aren't consistent on that either. 

If you’re looking for consistency, you’re in the wrong hobby. NGC often can’t even spell “PIEDFORT”.

I not that familiar with these, but I do know the currency at the time in Germany was the Mark designated with an "M".  So it seems the first one posted is a medal and the second one posted is currency, likely with distinctly different reverses.

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/karl-goetz-medals-keinast/sc-379/silver/

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/germany-weimar-republic-5-mark-x-84-1927-cuid-1178922-duid-1320236

On 2/15/2023 at 7:43 PM, EagleRJO said:

I not that familiar with these, but I do know the currency at the time in Germany was the Mark designated with an "M".  So it seems the first one posted is a medal and the second one posted is currency, likely with distinctly different reverses.

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/karl-goetz-medals-keinast/sc-379/silver/

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/germany-weimar-republic-5-mark-x-84-1927-cuid-1178922-duid-1320236

The reverse is the same on both.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:01 AM, RWB said:

The piece has a 5 mark denomination on the reverse. Therefore, it is a coin and not a medal.

There is no denomination on the reverse. 

On 2/16/2023 at 5:21 PM, gmarguli said:

There is no denomination on the reverse. 

Funf Reichmark. OK...I see my mistake. I looked at incorrectly labeled pieces. The coins are 5 marks and the medals have a different rev inscription. Otherwise coin and medal are nearly identical.

672277511_Medal.thumb.jpg.76ddc3abfa09b1d39f897b4515ca5baa.jpg

526763124_5mk.jpg.596996be019b2da69aa5e4685f85e91f.jpg

Edited by RWB

the 2 in my original post are the exact same on the back, which is different than the enlarged one that RWB just posted.  

Kienast-386 is first and X-1 is the second one

NGC5871524-013_REV.jpg

NGC2839351-004_REV.thumb.JPG.d1b8d3af8e89b57df25ecac1338a9e0e.JPG

Edited by JamieinMN

I don't get it ?  Is one silver and the other not. They look the same but one is a coin and one is a medal. Or they just call it whatever they want to.

Edited by J P M

Kienast-386 / X-1 has the medal reverse. However, the Bruce (X) book calls them 5 Mark, but pictures the medal.

Kienast-387 / Schaaf-327xxx has the 5 mark reverse.

I suspect these are greatly misidentified when being sold. I've sold dozens of them and never noticed the difference. 

On 2/15/2023 at 4:39 PM, VKurtB said:

If you’re looking for consistency, you’re in the wrong hobby. NGC often can’t even spell “PIEDFORT”.

I think you mean Piéfort.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:51 PM, gmarguli said:

I think you mean Piéfort.

Not according to the British, no. My piedfort coins are British, not French. The Spink catalogs spell it “piedfort”. 

On 2/20/2023 at 9:00 AM, VKurtB said:

Not according to the British, no. My piedfort coins are British, not French. The Spink catalogs spell it “piedfort”. 

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

At least we can agree on how it is pronounced. :devil:

I'm confused.  I don't understand how you can have the X-1 currency coin that does not have the denomination on that coin.  Was it misidentified by NGC as someone else suggested?  Or perhaps I am just stuck with the mindset of how US coins are done.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/21/2023 at 6:28 PM, EagleRJO said:

perhaps I am just stuck with the mindset of how US coins are done.

It’s a frequently found malady.