• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTG 1837 Bust Dime

19 posts in this topic

I would give this 1837 Capped Bust dime a grade in the AU range (AU 50-55, most likely grade AU 53). The coin appears to be retoning after having been dipped or lightly cleaned, which could result in a grading service description of "AU details, cleaned".  I'd need to examine the coin itself to form a better opinion as to whether it would be regarded as "cleaned". Assuming that the coin is unimpaired, the current retail list value would be between $450 and $750, depending on the exact grade and which price guide one uses.  I've identified the die variety as JR-3, a later die state with die cracks around the rim, through the "7", and part of the way through the bust.

On 2/6/2023 at 8:58 AM, RWB said:

The other "AUs" are really EF but given a higher priced name.

How terribly British of you!

On 2/6/2023 at 8:58 AM, RWB said:

the "Lariat" trim package on your Ford 150 truck.

Do they still offer that package on the aluminum F-150’s or is it just “the sissy package” on the electric one?

I do like the extent of that die crack. Nice piece. Under present grading, she may make somewhere in the 58-62 range. I wouldn’t, but the powers that be certainly might. 

Id say xf 45 to AU50. I enjoy these guess the grades. Lovely piece. With that die crack Id name it "Wounded Liberty." lol Just kidding. Everyone knows how I feel about those kind of names. That is a very nice die crack. Maybe "Wounded 7" would fit better. For those who dont get it Im being sarcastic. Couldnt resist. All jokes aside that is a very lovely dime. Ive got one on my wish list. Ive always wanted to add one to my collection. Very nice @ldhair

Edited by Hoghead515

Great looking bust dime, I'm going to go with AU58.   There is some rub, and some incomplete striking, which give the appearance of a lower AU grade to me.   I have no idea on the value, I only have a single example of a bust dime myself, an old ANACS AU55 and I don't follow the pricing at all.

For photos of some examples of this same die variety (JR-3) graded mint state, go to 1837 10C JR-3 Capped Bust (Regular Strike) Capped Bust Dime - PCGS CoinFacts. The one graded MS 65 shows the same die cracks in a slightly earlier state.  The coin posted here definitely has light high point wear when compared to them.

On 2/7/2023 at 6:12 AM, ldhair said:

Sorry. I messed up. I thought PCGS gave this a 55 but I was wrong. 

It actually came back in a bag as Altered Surfaces back in 2006.

AU55 was what I graded it. I did not mean for this to be a trick thread. 

I would guess PCGS would give it an AU Details if sent back in.

Or maybe MS65? As for altered surfaces, the fact that the toning doesn’t survive the 7 and the crack is troubling. I’ll bet that was their thinking. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/10/2023 at 11:07 PM, Walkerfan said:

AU 55 sounds right.  

Surfaces DO look fooled with albeit semi-attractive.  

The problem with a crack is everyone has to touch it and rub it that is why the tone is missing around it. Kinda like putting a wet paint sign up there will always be fingerprints on the paint.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:32 AM, J P M said:

The problem with a crack is everyone has to touch it and rub it that is why the tone is missing around it. Kinda like putting a wet paint sign up there will always be fingerprints on the paint.

I don't think that is the reason. 

I believe that it was harshly cleaned or improperly dipped.