• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does different coin grading companies do all types of coin grading?

16 posts in this topic

I have seen different post about different grading services. People use different companies for different reasons. I want to use NGC for all my coins. Are there certain coins/types that they may not grade? Maybe the easiest way

to ask is does NGC specialize in certain areas? 

On 1/23/2023 at 12:29 AM, lcourtney123 said:

I have seen different post about different grading services. People use different companies for different reasons. I want to use NGC for all my coins. Are there certain coins/types that they may not grade? Maybe the easiest way

I'l leave it to the experts to chime in who actually submit, but I think the graders pretty much grade all kinds of coins for the most part.  If a smaller TPG doesn't do a niche -- like world coins, for example -- I think they have that on the forms you fill out to submit.

As for which companies to use for specific coins.....PCGS has the repuation of being more valuable for domestic U.S. coins, while NGC has the same reputation with foreign/world coins.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

I have Morgans (2) 1882 mint error (1) 1900 (2) 1922 Peace dollars w/errors. Many 50 cents pieces with errors. Lots and lots. Having to choose and with me being, I would say very new its so much information. It is hard to decide! I have proof and business strikes of all sorts. Pennies, dimes, nickels, quarters. I have always collected but never been into the grading and history of it all. It is pretty amazing.

NGC and PCGS are the two largest and most reputable grading companies. ANACS is also good for error coins, but not as well known as NGC.

I wouldn't submit a coin for grading unless there is a specific reason for having that done, like it is a more valuable coin that is being sold.

Since you are newer to the hobby I would recommend checking out this topic on collector resources ...

Welcome Forum.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Welcome. There are some very knowledgeable members here. Posting a good photo obverse and reverse, one coin at a time will help you decide. Not all errors will be acknowledged by the grading company's.   

Your best bet is to stick with one of the top two TPGs NGC and PCGS if the coin is worth slabbing...  Pretty much take what people call "ERRORS"  with a gain of salt and sand.  most are not.  most are just damaged coins.  However if you are looking for some of those fringe variety attributions on a slab you should send it to ANACS they will attribute almost any obscure variety. 

On 1/23/2023 at 12:29 AM, lcourtney123 said:

Are there certain coins/types that they may not grade? Maybe the easiest way

Go to the NGC home page (ngccoin.com) and put your cursor on the "Submit" tab.  Review the first three topics, "How to Submit", "Coins We Grade & Policies", and "Services & Fees". 

Grading services are really for coins worth at least several hundred dollars each! Less valuable coins can be enjoyed in albums and hard plastic coin holders, or, for government issued sets, in their original packaging.  Unless you have sufficient knowledge to determine which, if any, of your coins are likely to have such values, you will likely spend more in grading and processing fees and shipping costs than the coins are worth!  If you want to make this determination, I strongly recommend that you acquire and study the print and online resources in my "Resources for New Collectors" topic to which @EagleRJOhas already provided a link.

On 1/23/2023 at 3:26 AM, l.cutler said:

Welcome! Best bet would be to post pictures of some of the coins you want to submit, and the folks here would be glad to help you out.

Thanks for the encouragement. I posted my first today.

On 1/23/2023 at 4:26 PM, VKurtB said:

Uh oh. “… with lots of errors…” is a HUUUUUGE red flag. I’ll bet they’re not. 

Your surely right! I am going to put the effort in learning properly.

On 1/23/2023 at 7:51 AM, RWB said:

One of NGC's most significant advantages was that it had a real, live Research Director - David W. Lange. NGC was the ONLY authentication and grading company that devoted resources to this critical subject - objective knowledge.

Unfortunately, Mr. Lange is gone.

I seen that about Mr. Lange and sorry for everyone's loss 

Lcourtney, glad you are trying to educate yourself by taking online courses.  It shows dedication and can only improve your grading skills.

With regards to TPG submissions....go slow.  You don't want to pay for grading coins which turn out to be not that valuable; it's a waste of $$$.  The value of your coins should be conservatively graded...remember, if they are common coins like Morgans and if they are circulated and/or heavily "dinged" they're not going to be worth much more than the silver value of the coins.  No need to have those graded.

Hello and welcome!

Without photos to ascertain what you actually have, it is hard to be able to give you good advice. I submit all of my coins to NGC. The only coins they will not grade are coins that have been plated or altered, counterfeit coins, or those that cannot be determined to be genuine. NGC has ways to submit any coin from ancients to mint errors to varieties, proofs, business strikes, special mint strikes and just about anything in between. Mint errors and varieties have an extra fee on top of the grading fee to establish if it is a mint error or a variety and this fee is charged whether or not the coin returns with that attribution.

That said, with your admission to being new at the hobby, I would strongly advise to get familiar with what you are thinking about submitting as having "alot" of coins to submit will cost you in the thousands of dollars. Also as you are new to the hobby, I am sure most of what you are claiming to be mint errors most likely are not. Error Morgan and Peace dollars are not very common for either series. Morgan dollars have a substantial amount of varieties classed under what are known as VAM's. One of the most widely used resources to investigate these is a book called The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars by Leroy C. Van Allen and A. George Mallis. It contains most varieties known except a few that were discovered since the book was published. You can research other US varieties on the main NGC page under the Resources tab and go down to Variety Plus in the dropdown menu. I also recommend that from the main NGC page you type the words "mint error" into the search box and read the three part article they published on what mint errors are recognized.

Mostly, I recommend being you are new to the hobby to get price guides (or use the NGC price guide), and also a book like the NGC Red Book that provides an explanation of the condition of the coin as it correlates to the grade. You need to determine whether or not a coin has sufficient value to submit as the grading fees are very expensive and it is not worth submitting a coin that even though may be in excellent condition is worth less than the holder that it gets put into.

Both NGC and PCGS are the top two grading services and are very similar in fees and grading points. ANACS are also well respected but are less popular than NGC or PCGS. You may see ICG coins but I do not trust the grading points as they are in the holder. I have experimented with cracking their coins out of their holders and submitting them to NGC and they always grade lesser than ICG claims.

Please try to take the time to research the value of the coins you are thinking of submitting before you do before it costs you alot of money to only be disappointed when the box returns and you open it only to find what you thought to be rare and valuable is not.

Good luck!