• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bryce Doxzon - In Memoriam

10 posts in this topic

This is a very low res pic of Bryce, from a memorial website:

F294C57D-D764-448B-8FD0-5503F9E57260.png.b392cd7d6acbc38121d93d47585cb724.png
For those who ever attended a Baltimore Whitman show, he was a fixture. I don’t know about any of you guys, but I’m getting just a little tired of noting the passing of guys younger than me. Wait your darned turn, dammit. 

Edited by VKurtB

I had known Bryce for several decades, although I couldn't say we were close friends. Bryce's specialty was medals, especially U.S. presidential inaugural medals, of which he had a substantial collection, though to his chagrin lacking the very rare Harding and Coolidge inaugural medals.  He displayed some of his medals at coin club meetings and gave several coin club programs, including one based on his A.N.A. convention exhibit entitled "They Also Ran", which featured presidential campaign medals featuring the losing candidates.

Bryce also collected U.S. coins.  He once cherrypicked three nice BU 1934 doubled die obverse quarters (yes, the FS-101 "Redbook" variety) unattributed from a dealer's inventory!  Shortly before the pandemic, he showed my coin club a pristine 1949 mint set in its original cardboard packaging, which his father had purchased from the mint in the year of issue.

I last saw Bryce at a local coin show in July 2021.  He looked very frail and was using a cane.  I hadn't known that he was ill and was dismayed when he informed me that he had ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease).  His condition deteriorated rapidly, and I was informed last summer that he was in hospice care.

I am posting below a tribute to Bryce that the Maryland State Numismatic Association, of which he was secretary for many years, gave in its Autumn, 2021 newsletter.

Edited by Sandon

Seems like there has been several deaths around here where I live also already. Ive lost 2 really good friends in Christmas day. One one Christmas and 1 last Friday.   Its sure rough losing good friends. Yesterday was the same day my dad died four years ago at 60 years old. I really hate  to hear this about your friends also. Bryce was way to young. I didnt know him but he seemed like a very interesting person from the post you all shared. My condolences to all his family and friends. 

So many times we wait until someone has passed before we acknowledge their achievements or contributions, or even tell anyone how we feel about them. It is great that the MSNA  took the time to pay tribute to this man while he was still living. 

My condolences to his family and those who knew him.