• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Found some nice, professional coin slabs on Amazon
1 1

16 posts in this topic

On 1/7/2023 at 6:08 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Why, because they are proof UCAM but not good enough for TPG grading and because I like them that way. 😊

OGP gone?

The original coin holders are always best, unless the holder is damaged or you absolutely MUST have the coin in some company's expensive packaging.

Why do I advocate this? Every exposure of a modern collector coin to the air greatly increases the potential for surface contamination - dust, spots, metal loci. It also increases the likelihood of abrasion, finger prints, moisture, and on an on. The US Mint's handling and packaging systems are much more sophisticated than any TPGs, including positive, filtered airflow, localized ionization, strict objective examination, etc., and the ability to discard any coin that fails.

For aftermarket slabs I prefer the PCCB brand which seem a bit more robust, while still being easy-open and matching the NGC slabs in the collection.  As long as you are not in a rush these generally come from overseas, so it takes a little while to get them, but I think it's worth it due to the quality. 

Except for the Presidential and Innovation dollars which I keep in capsule binders, I pretty much leave the modern US mint coins in the OGP.

Storage - PCCB Brand 01.jpg

Storage - PCCB Brand 02.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 1/7/2023 at 2:54 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Found these on Amazon and slabbed up a few of my PROOF coins. They are excellent quality and very professional looking with the tabs around the coin. Good seal too. They are also the same size as NGC slabs.

IMG-6253.thumb.jpg.64e5f467f5c85dbb118d2d0ea32c4488.jpgIMG-6244.thumb.jpg.75526abc740d94847b8a1850f846c07d.jpg

IMG-6249.jpg

IMG-6248.jpg

IMG-6247.jpg

IMG-6246.jpg

IMG-6245.jpg

IMG-6252.jpg

IMG-6251.jpg

Oh wow I Love that Idea. Thanks for the heads up EagleRJO! I would like to have my 2000 Canadian commemorative quarters and my 2000 wide AM cents in one of those new cases for safe keeping. Do they sell capsules to? Made from the same material that can be put in a Lincoln cent folder about 19mm in size I think. I would love some 19mm capsules made of acrylic glass fragile but well worth it but I can't find those anywhere!  

On 1/7/2023 at 9:09 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I still have all the ogp. 

I literally can’t imagine anyone preferring a “sort of” slab to the Original Government Packaging. It completely boggles my mind. I regularly buy missed products in OGP, but NEVER WOULD I EVER buy one in any slab, top tier OR basement slab. It literally REMOVES desirability of the piece for me. I know some guys who get it ALL slabbed by one of the Big 2, and tha’s one way to go, but THIS???? I can’t dig it. 

Edited by VKurtB

Gosh VkurtB be sure to let me know you don’t like the idea!

The two Ike proofs I have were scratched when I got them (cheap), the commemorative coins were hazy from improper storage before I got them. This way I can still look at them rather than boxed up in some clamshell that will never see daylight. True if I wanted to buck up and have a TPG slab, I could, but this way I can enjoy them and save about $40 apiece.

The vast majority of my collection is NGC slabs. But loose stuff that has no large value , why not? See my stuff 

https://www.ngccoin.com/profile/484776/coins/

OK VkurtB,EagleRJO, Bsshog, RWB, Coinbuf

I reconsidered what you all said about OGP, and decided you all were right, so I very carefully re-encapsulated the commemoratives by blowing canned air on them to insure no dust and reconfigured the ORIGINAL MINT PACKAGING as suggested.

IMG-6288.jpg

IMG-6291.jpg

IMG-6290.jpg

IMG-6289.jpg

On 1/18/2023 at 2:16 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

OK VkurtB,EagleRJO, Bsshog, RWB, Coinbuf

I reconsidered what you all said about OGP, and decided you all were right, so I very carefully re-encapsulated the commemoratives by blowing canned air on them to insure no dust and reconfigured the ORIGINAL MINT PACKAGING as suggested.

IMG-6288.jpg

IMG-6291.jpg

IMG-6290.jpg

IMG-6289.jpg

Yes Bill I like them better in the Original Mint Case