• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin Club
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Sounds like a good opportunity for you. Give you a chance to talk to some other collectors face to face and get to see some coins in hand that maybe you don’t get to see very often. Hope it works out for you.

On 1/5/2023 at 4:44 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I finally found a local coin club that I never knew existed. They are having a coin show in the next county over from me. I seen pictures from the last one they had. Prob wasnt but 4 dealers.

I live in the NYC Metro area and even some of the coin shows around here that are weekly/monthly are very small -- like 5-12 dealers.  Waste of time -- MAYBE 1 or 2 deal in coins (the rest stamps or sports cards).  I've driven 2 hours round-trip to these shows and spent 5 minutes at the show itself. xD

It's the quarterly shows that attract from a much wider regional dealership that are in a nicer hotel (instead of a VFW Hall) that will get you up to 20-40 dealers and be worth it.  Ditto the Big Regionals like the Bay State or Whitman Baltimore or the nationals like FUN/Long Beach/ANA.

I think with the internet/Ebay/HA/GC....folks no longer have to hit all the LCS's and small coin shows like they did 20-30 years ago.  They can save time and $$$ by shopping/bidding online and just goto a larger coin show to satisfy their hunger or find a special coin.

On 1/6/2023 at 12:22 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I live in the NYC Metro area and even some of the coin shows around here that are weekly/monthly are very small -- like 5-12 dealers.  Waste of time -- MAYBE 1 or 2 deal in coins (the rest stamps or sports cards).  I've driven 2 hours round-trip to these shows and spent 5 minutes at the show itself. xD

It's the quarterly shows that attract from a much wider regional dealership that are in a nicer hotel (instead of a VFW Hall) that will get you up to 20-40 dealers and be worth it.  Ditto the Big Regionals like the Bay State or Whitman Baltimore or the nationals like FUN/Long Beach/ANA.

I think with the internet/Ebay/HA/GC....folks no longer have to hit all the LCS's and small coin shows like they did 20-30 years ago.  They can save time and $$$ by shopping/bidding online and just goto a larger coin show to satisfy their hunger or find a special coin.

Good thing about this one is its just a 10 minute drive. I dont have any plans Saturday so it be perfect for me. We had to go over and get groceries to so it wont be out of the way. I wont be able to buy anything also. I dont have a check coming this week where we was off 2 weeks.  Id just hoping to look around and meet some local collectors. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/6/2023 at 12:06 AM, Hoghead515 said:

Good thing about this one is its just a 10 minute drive. I dont have any plans Saturday so it be perfect for me. We had to go over and get groceries to so it wont be out of the way. I wont be able to buy anything also. I dont have a check coming this week where we was off 2 weeks.  Id just hoping to look around and meet some local collectors. 

Probably good that you're going with no money. Let's you get a feel for the place, the type of dealers there and prices and varieties of coins they have. Also, you won't have that "I should buy something" urge. 

The only local coin show I ever went to is included in the link below, back in 1991 or 1992.  Approximately same number of dealers at the time as described in the link.  I went once or twice.  (Website claims 35+ but only 19 identified as attending this month.)

For me now, it's not worth going, as I already know they will have nothing for sale I currently collect that I also want to buy.  I'm also not paying to park and not about to take the local public transport either.

For everyone else, I agree it's worth trying once.

Monthly Greater Atlanta Coin Shows (atlcoin.com)

I have also considered attending a meeting at the largest coin club in the metro area but never have.  Could do it now but just haven't gotten around to it.

Some of these shows just have the most popular coins, often bullion or quasi-bullion.  If you are into more exotic or rare coins like Flying Cents or Gold Dollars or whatnot, the smaller shows have very little there.  You will find tons of Morgans and some with gold coins including Saints and Liberty DEs.

Remember, it takes time for them to pack up stuff and put it into cases.  They can tell what sells or gets inquiries and if they bring a case of a certain coins and they NEVER get asked about the stuff in it, they're not gonna keep bringing it.

Usually, it's low-to-moderately priced stuff.  Althought at the monthly Parsippany/Garden State Coin Show I saw a guy who had 2 beautiful coins -- I think both were MCMVII High Relief Saints -- and I recall they were pricey but can't remember if they were raw or certified.  But I recall that they belonged to a client or client's family that FOUND them somewhere in their farmhouse in Nebraska or something like that....in other words, long-lost coins.

Damn, I wish I had taken pics :( (maybe I did ?  Gotta go back at least 4 years in my phone to see) or remembered who it was.  Maybe if I go out to the show again I can find the dealer.

On 1/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I finally found a local coin club that I never knew existed. They are having a coin show in the next county over from me. I seen pictures from the last one they had. Prob wasnt but 4 dealers. lol  We live in a small area. Anyways they are having a show this weekend. Im gonna go over and check it out. Im very excited. Gonna get to go to my first show even if it is only a crowd of 20 people.  I may see if they will let me join their club. Dont know what all is required. Never been in a club before. Lumii_20230105_163255606.thumb.jpg.b29f12203cf5942cdc3d98a5af58aa60.jpg

Here is a list shows across the US.

www.coinshows-usa.com

Edited by rrantique
link

On 1/6/2023 at 7:33 AM, Zebo said:

Always good to be a member of a club. You will pick up something from it. How far are you from Nashville or Pittsburgh. Two good shows later this year.

Im bout 300 miles from Nashville. And Pittsburg bout 6  or 8 hours

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/6/2023 at 11:17 AM, World Colonial said:

The only local coin show I ever went to is included in the link below, back in 1991 or 1992.  Approximately same number of dealers at the time as described in the link.  I went once or twice.  (Website claims 35+ but only 19 identified as attending this month.)

For me now, it's not worth going, as I already know they will have nothing for sale I currently collect that I also want to buy.  I'm also not paying to park and not about to take the local public transport either.

For everyone else, I agree it's worth trying once.

Monthly Greater Atlanta Coin Shows (atlcoin.com)

I have also considered attending a meeting at the largest coin club in the metro area but never have.  Could do it now but just haven't gotten around to it.

Good thing bout this one its free attendance. All kinds free parking also. 

On 1/6/2023 at 11:35 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Some of these shows just have the most popular coins, often bullion or quasi-bullion.  If you are into more exotic or rare coins like Flying Cents or Gold Dollars or whatnot, the smaller shows have very little there.  You will find tons of Morgans and some with gold coins including Saints and Liberty DEs.

Dealers market to their customer base.  No reason to expect anything else.  One dealer on the PCGS forum once (or a few times) mentioned that 80% of the collector base doesn't spend more than $300 on a single coin.  I think that's a good estimate, as it's consistent with the budget section at large regional and national shows or at least was in 2020 (last one I attended).

On 1/6/2023 at 11:35 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Remember, it takes time for them to pack up stuff and put it into cases.  They can tell what sells or gets inquiries and if they bring a case of a certain coins and they NEVER get asked about the stuff in it, they're not gonna keep bringing it.

It's more than that.  It's that they almost certainly don't ever have customers for the majority of US type, like the gold dollar example but probably would have one for the FE cent.  It's either too expensive for their customers or they have no interest in it.  Even more so for world and ancient, as the typical collector wouldn't even recognize these coins.

My primary dealers in ATL back in the late 70's were probably typical.  Neither generally had coins valued maybe over $100 and it was all US, except for "junk bin" stuff. 

If I wanted to see a wider variety of US type, had to go to World Numismatics.  I don't remember all the specifics, but they had coins like Bust dollars and a 1795 FH half, though only circulated ("original" looking) coins.  The owner did tell me once he had a customer who spent $300/week which was big money for a collector at the time, so he could probably find most US coinage if someone wanted it.  He didn't sell any non-US.

Of the 19 dealers on the list from my last post, I'd guess Larry Jackson (a PNG dealer) is the only one who offers a wide variety, but still US only. 

Back in 2004 or so, I took a trip to Helen, GA (a tourist town) and there was a coin shop there that carried expensive stuff.  I thought it very unusual for a place like that.  One I remember was a "gem looking" seated dollar (proof I think).  I don't know if he is around anymore.

Id say they probably wont have very many expensive coins at this one. Our area is considered below poverty. Thats why I was suprised to see them have a coin show around here in the first place.  It may be more for fun than anything. Probably be selling common indian nickels and things like that if they are selling some.Im hoping to make some new friends. I dont have any friends around close that collects. Be nice to meet some in driving distance.  Grayson is just 15 miles from me. If I get to for sure go I will update this thread and let everyone know how it goes. And what type and condition coins are being sold. 

On 1/7/2023 at 4:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I got these 2 BU quarters for less than their silver content. $4.25 each. Bought them for my quarter album. He was a really good guy. Him and I think it was his wife with him. Very nice people. He lives fairly close also. I plan on giving him more business. Hope he comes on here and chats with us some. He had some great prices on his stuff. 

That's a really nice 1946 for melt.  I don't collect the series but could be persuaded to take it up at that price.

On 1/6/2023 at 6:33 AM, Zebo said:

Always good to be a member of a club. You will pick up something from it. How far are you from Nashville or Pittsburgh. Two good shows later this year.

Nashville has all the potential to compete with the best shows in the country. Late October. A four day show. Heavy international component. 

On 1/7/2023 at 2:48 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Well I had a pretty good time at the show. There was only 5 dealers but it was fun talking to them. One is an NGC member. Said he may come on here and talk to us once in a while. He had the table I had the most interest in. No one brought any certified coins. Only seen one on display. A three legged buffalo. One dealer had all kinds of foreign coins. I ended up getting an 1899 farthing off him for my Whitman. Then off the other seller I got an old copy of the first year red book and a couple raw Washingtons for my raw collection. The old lady bought her a hobo nickel. 

...did the guy on her nickel look like her husband?....

On 1/7/2023 at 8:43 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Modern piece?

Im not sure how old it is. Its carved on a real nickel. Ive seen the same artist work on other nickels on Ebay. I like his and another artist on there pretty good. Some of them are quite impressive. His initals on the back is SB.

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/7/2023 at 7:23 PM, World Colonial said:

That's a really nice 1946 for melt.  I don't collect the series but could be persuaded to take it up at that price.

He had several very nice BU quarters for that price. Wish I had more money. Id bought several for my album collection.