• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question - Proof Sets

8 posts in this topic

I have been researching proof coins and proof sets on the internet, but I thought I would ask the experts here the following (dumb) questions:

When you buy a proof set for the U.S. Mint, are all the coins in the set MS70 designation?

Or would the set contain a mixture of coins with MS61 to MS70 designations?

On 12/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, Seamus8 said:

I have been researching proof coins and proof sets on the internet, but I thought I would ask the experts here the following (dumb) questions:

When you buy a proof set for the U.S. Mint, are all the coins in the set MS70 designation?

They have there own category they are not MS but are called PR or PF coins and most are considered to be 60 to 70 but finding 70s is tough and not worth sending in cost wise to end up getting a 68 or 69 unless it is a rare coin.  

On 12/29/2022 at 9:48 AM, Seamus8 said:

As previously pointed out, proof coins regardless of grade are supposed to be designated as proofs (PF or PR), not as mint state (MS).  The grading of any coins is subjective and dependent on a variety of factors. Different professional graders may grade a coin differently. Even the same grader may grade a coin differently at different times! Therefore, no coin has an inherent, pre-existing grade imparted by the mint as you seem to imply.

This being said, modern proof coins are supposed to be--and usually are--carefully made, handled, and packaged, and will usually be professionally graded at the higher end of the scale.  U.S. proof coins made since the late 1970s have mostly been graded by the grading services between PF 68 and PF 70, with PF 69 being the most common grade and PF 70 being the second most common. Coins that have developed spots or unattractive toning or were nicked or scratched at the mint or were removed from the mint packaging and mishandled before being submitted will, of course, be graded lower.

In my opinion, modern proof coins and other modern collectors' issues are best enjoyed in their mint packaging and are not worth submitting to grading services as they are common even when graded "70", and the differences among pieces graded 68, 69, and 70 are hardly noticeable.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:05 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

As a PS collector ...

PS collector = Proof Set collector?? (shrug)

Edited by EagleRJO