• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I purchased a massive collection of ancient coins along with coins from the 1700's and 1800's

11 posts in this topic

Here are a few more images. I'm going to start by separating them into ancient coins, 1700's and 1800's then countries.

Here are a few more images. If you spot anything good from my lousy pictures please let me know. I will take better images in time. I just opened up the package.

20221219_165620.jpg

20221219_165615.jpg

20221219_165611.jpg

20221219_165553.jpg

20221219_165519.jpg

Sort by country or region, then determine which references pertain to those. You seem to have a lot of pieces with labels, so that will cut research time. Once you know what you have, then you can begin to determine what they are worth. The white envelopes look a lot like dealer foreign from 2x2 boxes which often means they are worth  $1 or $5 retail.

If you bought these, you must have a rough guess about value.

Edited by RWB

I am seeing that many are worth $1-$5 as you said.

I am coming across a few good ones though.

Straits Settlements 1891&1894 10C

Plus I have a good 30 ancient silver, brass and copper coins. All of them are in the $50 and up range. I bought the lot for fun. I hope to calculate my cost out of it and trade it or sell it all to a dealer for US coins or a coin but who knows there could be a winner in here. They look very old. I would guess put away in the early 70's. I have at least 1000 coins and they are all labeled so yes it helps.

Does anyone here like ancient coins?

Let me know I will be glad to sell them or trade them for US. 

On 12/20/2022 at 3:29 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I really like that little silver ancient with the carriage and horses. I don't know what it is or how much its worth. I just like it. Looks like a very nice little hoard. Nice additions.

It's a Republic AR denarius, probably second century BCE, but I haven't looked it up. They aren't very expensive, typically $70-100. If I recall correctly, that type is fairly common and should be affordable. The coinage doesn't have a ruler because the Republic of course did not have rulers, just consuls and censors and praetors, so there's something on the obverse other than a living person's head--at least until the mid-first century BCE if memory serves. Usually the name of the magistrate in charge of coinage is in the legend, I think; memory slips me as to whether that was a consul, praetor, aedile, etc.

Edited by JKK