• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scratches and scuffs on slabs
2 2

32 posts in this topic

As I was looking through some of my coins this morning I seen a couple of my slabs that had minor scuffs and abrasions on them. They were like that when I bought them. One actually looks pretty rough.  Looks like someone threw it in a junk drawer or let a 3 year old play with it. Very nice coin inside but the slab is very distracting trying to admire it. The other slab is not so bad. I remember someone started a thread on this a few months ago but I cant find it. I remember someone recommending a certain rubbing compound that helps remove them. I also remember I was gonna order some but it was sold out everywhere during the covid pandemic. Everytime I see that slab and the other it really bothers me. Does anyone have any recommendations to fix it? Or remember what the product was? I was thinking about trying to get it reholdered by NGC. Its already in an NGC slab. Not sure what the price is. Anyone know right off hand? I figured Id try a rubbing compound first. Couldnt hurt it anymore than it already is. The few submissions Ive made I always chose the option for the scratch resistant holder. In my opinion its well worth the extra $5.00. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Plastix works great on minor scuffs and lite scratches.   I use a dremel with a soft cloth buffing wheel, takes some time but the results are always really good.   You could use a rag or old sock and do the polishing by hand, but the dremel is much faster and easier on the arms. ;)

Deep scratches require a bit more work, start with a fine grit sandpaper, say 1000, and work to a 3000 grit sandpaper, then finish with the Plastix.   I would suggest practicing the sandpaper method on a scrap slab, one that is so bad you are need a reholder to fix it, or if you have the remains of a cracked slab.

Plastx.jpg

On 12/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, Coinbuf said:

Plastix works great on minor scuffs and lite scratches.   I use a dremel with a soft cloth buffing wheel, takes some time but the results are always really good.   You could use a rag or old sock and do the polishing by hand, but the dremel is much faster and easier on the arms. ;)

Deep scratches require a bit more work, start with a fine grit sandpaper, say 1000, and work to a 3000 grit sandpaper, then finish with the Plastix.   I would suggest practicing the sandpaper method on a scrap slab, one that is so bad you are need a reholder to fix it, or if you have the remains of a cracked slab.

Plastx.jpg

I remember now. You was the one who shared it on the other post I was looking for. That was the product. I couldnt find it last time. Ive got a dremel and some cloth wheels. Also got the sand paper already you mentioned. Ill give er a whirl. 

On 12/18/2022 at 11:30 AM, Coinbuf said:

I would suggest practicing the sandpaper method on a scrap slab, one that is so bad you are need a reholder to fix it, or if you have the remains of a cracked slab.

I couldn't recommend this enough HH, even with the Plastx. I've seen many, many polishing attempts go horribly wrong. If you don't have a scrap slab I'd do a couple of trial runs on some Lexan, old head lights, or the equivalent. Any available material that is similar. 

On 12/18/2022 at 11:12 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I couldn't recommend this enough HH, even with the Plastx. I've seen many, many polishing attempts go horribly wrong. If you don't have a scrap slab I'd do a couple of trial runs on some Lexan, old head lights, or the equivalent. Any available material that is similar. 

Ive had pretty good luck polishing up headlights but Ive never attempted a slab. The slab in question is very bad. I may try a tiny bit on the coner and if it dont go right ill eventually send it in to reholder. 

On 12/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, Hoghead515 said:

One actually looks pretty rough.  Looks like someone threw it in a junk drawer or let a 3 year old play with it. Very nice coin inside but the slab is very distracting trying to admire it. The other slab is not so bad.

Everytime I see that slab and the other it really bothers me. Does anyone have any recommendations to fix it?

I figured Id try a rubbing compound first. Couldnt hurt it anymore than it already is. The few submissions Ive made I always chose the option for the scratch resistant holder. In my opinion its well worth the extra $5.00. 

NGC Scratch-Resistant Holders Temporarily Unavailable

Posted on 11/18/2021

NGC anticipates that Scratch-Resistant Holders will be back in stock in six to nine months.

76 views 1:00pm 12/11,21

To the best of my knowledge NGC is still out of the scratch-resistant holders, with no timeline for when they'll have them back.

Playing around with a Dremel Tool on plastic slabs is a lot different than playing around on a plastic headlight.

Think of it more like playing around on plastic scratch-resistant eyeglass lenses.  Less than a satisfactory outcome can be expected, and you'll then see your "beginner's luck" handiwork instead of the prior scratches, going forward.

On 12/19/2022 at 1:17 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

NGC Scratch-Resistant Holders Temporarily Unavailable

Posted on 11/18/2021

NGC anticipates that Scratch-Resistant Holders will be back in stock in six to nine months.

76 views 1:00pm 12/11,21

To the best of my knowledge NGC is still out of the scratch-resistant holders, with no timeline for when they'll have them back.

Playing around with a Dremel Tool on plastic slabs is a lot different than playing around on a plastic headlight.

Think of it more like playing around on plastic scratch-resistant eyeglass lenses.  Less than a satisfactory outcome can be expected, and you'll then see your "beginner's luck" handiwork instead of the prior scratches, going forward.

Yea it dont take much to melt plastic even with a cloth wheel. Just a second or two and it will melt. Ive had quite a bit of experience with them on other things. First go at slabs. The slab in question is so bad it wont hurt nothing if I did mess it up. Now the other slab aint bad at all. Im not gonna expirment on it any. Just a couple little spots on it is scuffed a little. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Ill update it again once the plastx and 3000 grit paper comes in and Im able to finish it. Ill add pics of the obverse and reverse. Note I had to wet the surface and the paper where it was so fine to keep the plastic cleaned out of the grit. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 12/22/2022 at 7:21 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Coin was alot nicer than I thought it was. It may even qualify for a, "FULL SPLIT BEAK" sticker from MAC. :roflmao:

Then it will be worth Eleventybillion dollars!

On 12/18/2022 at 10:53 AM, Hoghead515 said:

As I was looking through some of my coins this morning I seen a couple of my slabs that had minor scuffs and abrasions on them. They were like that when I bought them. One actually looks pretty rough.  Looks like someone threw it in a junk drawer or let a 3 year old play with it. Very nice coin inside but the slab is very distracting trying to admire it. The other slab is not so bad. I remember someone started a thread on this a few months ago but I cant find it. I remember someone recommending a certain rubbing compound that helps remove them. I also remember I was gonna order some but it was sold out everywhere during the covid pandemic. Everytime I see that slab and the other it really bothers me. Does anyone have any recommendations to fix it? Or remember what the product was? I was thinking about trying to get it reholdered by NGC. Its already in an NGC slab. Not sure what the price is. Anyone know right off hand? I figured Id try a rubbing compound first. Couldnt hurt it anymore than it already is. The few submissions Ive made I always chose the option for the scratch resistant holder. In my opinion its well worth the extra $5.00. 

I think a reholder automatically gets a scratch resistant holder

Looks great HH! (thumbsu

I've got a few slabs that are scratched up but I'm going to live with them awhile longer, I'm still debating whether or not to go in on restoring them or just having them replaced. Depends on if I'm looking for a project or not, for now I'll wait.

You made it look easy though, so I might give it a go in the future. I like. :golfclap:

On 1/1/2023 at 7:38 PM, Hoghead515 said:

It was scratched up so badly I had to. Very deep scratches. It was the only way to take them out. Its very smooth now. A very fine sandpaper works great on plastic. It still didnt take out a couple of the deeper scuffs but they are off to the side where they dont bother me. I couldve if I wanted to spend some more time on it but its good enough for me.  I dont know what the previous owner did to it but it was bad. Looks like it had  been run over. lol

Oh, okay.  I didn't realize the scratches were deep. Were they worse then these?

S20200106_006.jpg.8531d786278241e251d55706e75ea177.jpg

On 1/1/2023 at 8:06 PM, tj96 said:

Oh, okay.  I didn't realize the scratches were deep. Were they worse then these?

S20200106_006.jpg.8531d786278241e251d55706e75ea177.jpg

They were pretty deep. They looked a whole lot like that. Couldnt get a very good pic of them with this crappy phone. I had to sand off a pretty good layer to get below them. They were to deep to buff away. 

On 1/1/2023 at 5:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Wanted to updae the results on my scratched slab. Finally got my finer sand paper in. First hit it with 1000 grit. Then 2000. Then 4000 and last 8000. Then I buffed it by hand with some Plastix. Im very pleased with the results. I couldve spent more time and done a much better job but Im happy enough with the results now. The coin will stay in my collection so its good enough for me. Here is the results I got. Couldnt hardly see the coin before. 

Great job!  It may not have saved you a ton of money on the reholder itself, but shipping costs are very high not to mention the risk of loss.   That looks like a winner from here!