• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGCX
1 1

250 posts in this topic

On 11/17/2022 at 11:35 AM, EagleRJO said:

For a while I assume they will just mark labels with both grading systems, or maybe that will just be an option.

NGCX and the 10 point grading scale look like they are going to be completely separate things from NGC and Sheldon for now. Possibly for the foreseeable future/forever. As Kurt said, this seems more targeted towards AE and bullion collectors, those who just want to dabble, and card/comic collectors, I doubt it will have much impact on collectors of classic coinage or people who like the way the system is now. I think everyone will be able to continue to collect and have coins graded as they have been traditionally, if they want, that's not going anywhere from what I've seen. 

Wow, you guys are fast. I realized "assuming" wasn't really the right way to put it as soon as I posted that, so changed it to a "maybe" immediately ... too late, already quoted in stone. 😜 

If it will just be a separate companion system more used for say bullion coins, without a push to switch to that, then really no big deal.

[Except maybe they will grade VKurtB's coins with the new system just to torture him, and charge extra to also add the 70 basis grade. That should go over well. (:]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/17/2022 at 1:05 PM, gmarguli said:

This is what happens when your company gets bought out by a Wall Street firm that can crunch numbers, but hasn't a clue about the actual business. 

I thought CU/PCGS got bought out by private equity.  Did NGC change ownership recently ?

On 11/17/2022 at 1:49 PM, gmarguli said:

Yes, CCG was purchased by Blackstone. 

I'm surprised.....BX has hundreds of billions in assets, mostly alternative assets.  CCG/NGC isn't going to move the needle for them.

I wonder if this was a to-be-regretted NFT move.

You know, I've never seen that SS Republic label from NGC (or one from PCGS, either).  Maybe it was featured in forums in the early-2000's but I wasn't on them or reading them at that time.  Ditto any SSCA labels.

Looks pretty good....I like blue and has a picture of the ship.  Wonder if SSCA had a special one.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

It's a marketing thing.  If it grabs some people into our neck of the woods, good !!  

If 300,000 people buy these NGCX lottery tickets....and 10,000 become full-time collectors....and 3-5 become regular posters here at the NGC Forums....not bad, IMO.

Oh goodie, goodie!!! [sarcasm] More ignoramuses for us to re-educate after their miseducation by NGCX participation. 

On 11/17/2022 at 1:34 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

It's a marketing thing.  If it grabs some people into our neck of the woods, good !!  

If 300,000 people buy these NGCX lottery tickets....and 10,000 become full-time collectors....and 3-5 become regular posters here at the NGC Forums....not bad, IMO.

Bringing new people in is not a bad thing but I doubt many will cross over into more traditional collecting, 3% sounds about right. 

This could turn out to be a good business decision for BX, short term money maker then flip CCG. (shrug)

On 11/17/2022 at 2:03 PM, VKurtB said:

Oh goodie, goodie!!! [sarcasm] More ignoramuses for us to re-educate after their miseducation by NGCX participation. 

They could be up-to-speed pretty soon.  I knew nothing of this hobby for the most part but was drawn in by the 2009 UHR Saint.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:03 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

This could turn out to be a good business decision for BX, short term money maker then flip CCG. (shrug)

But I don't think it moves the needle for them.  I think CU/PCGS was bought for about $750 MM and the buyers were much smaller than BX.  

OTOH....it clearly is in the realm of "alternative assets" so in that sense it is up their ally and there aren't many TPGs to purchase.

On 11/17/2022 at 1:11 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

They could be up-to-speed pretty soon.  I knew nothing of this hobby for the most part but was drawn in by the 2009 UHR Saint.

Really? That was the thing, huh? Okay. Not terribly typical though. You are quite the unicorn. 

On 11/17/2022 at 2:29 PM, VKurtB said:

Really? That was the thing, huh? Okay. Not terribly typical though. You are quite the unicorn. 

It's funny...when I had the $$$ to pursue this hobby, I didn't have the time....when I had the time, I didn't have the $$$ !! xD

On 11/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

It's funny...when I had the $$$ to pursue this hobby, I didn't have the time....when I had the time, I didn't have the $$$ !! xD

An age old story. I still wouldn’t have the $$$ to do this hobby “right”, nor have I ever. What I lack in funds, I make up for MOSTLY in study and staying involved. That, and heapin’ handfuls of sheer orneriness. That’s what got me through my health crises, too. I don’t ever give up or give in. I fight like a wounded animal. 

...so both pcgs n ngc were purchased by consortiums/corporations, so cacg will be privately owned...wonder which will be able to swivel the fastest to accommodate an ever changing hobby?....

On 11/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, zadok said:

...so both pcgs n ngc were purchased by consortiums/corporations, so cacg will be privately owned...wonder which will be able to swivel the fastest to accommodate an ever changing hobby?....

Excuse me. AFK. My cat just CACked on the rug. 

On 11/17/2022 at 2:29 PM, VKurtB said:

A few of my investment contacts and circle bought the 2009 UHR direct from the Mint....their posts were on our emails and forum posts....I checked it out....led me to learning about the Original Saint-Gaudens Saints and UHR/HR's.(thumbsu

On 11/17/2022 at 2:37 PM, VKurtB said:

What I lack in funds, I make up for MOSTLY in study and staying involved. 

Ditto.....it'd be great to buy more stuff regularly, but reading up about it...keeping notes and files (i.e., Hoards, Highest Prices and Coin Descriptions, etc.) is somewhat satisfying.

On 11/17/2022 at 11:13 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

But I don't think it moves the needle for them.  I think CU/PCGS was bought for about $750 MM and the buyers were much smaller than BX.  

And they did second round financing a little while later valuing the company at $5+ billion.

On 11/17/2022 at 1:40 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

A few of my investment contacts and circle bought the 2009 UHR direct from the Mint....their posts were on our emails and forum posts....I checked it out....led me to learning about the Original Saint-Gaudens Saints and UHR/HR's.(thumbsu

Well, congratulations on that. You’re a United States Mint Numismatic Division success story. That was the idea behind doing the 09 UHR. “So YOU’RE the one?” /kidding

On 11/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

The 2009 UHR caught my eye... until I considered the specs and quickly realized due to the design enhancement it would differ from the traditional Saint.