• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGCX
1 1

250 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2022 at 8:35 PM, zadok said:

...i for one will not submit coins under the 10 point option...stupid idea....

Q.A.:  I believe the jury has returned with a verdict.

🐓:  It has, sir, as enshrined and set forth in pertinent part, above.

Q.A.:  Thank you, Oh Great One, for expressing our thoughts  succinctly and accurately.  (thumbsu

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Usual die polishing.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:07 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Weren't comics and baseball cards already graded on a 10-point scale ? 

That's why NGC is doing this. They apparently think that this will induce card and comic book collectors to become collectors of modern coins.

The descriptions for the grading points between the two grading scales are not identical (on purpose?), obviously there has to be a variation at some point due to there being one less grading point on the 10 point scale but if you're going to say a 10 is the same as a 70 and a 9.9 is the same as a 69 then I would think that the upper grades would've been more similarly described. An example of a few of the descriptions below.

MS 64 = Average or better strike with several obvious marks or hairlines and other miniscule imperfections.

9.4 = A well struck coin with moderate marks or hairlines. 

MS 63 = Slightly weak or average strike with moderate abrasions and hairlines of varying sizes.

9.3 = A coin with a good strike, but several obvious marks or hairlines and other miniscule imperfections.

My interpretation of the two scales is that they are supposed to be identical, or very close, except that there is no grading point for FR (Fair) in the 10 point system.?

WOW this is awesome.... Really doesn't matter to me . Nothing that late in life ever gets slabbed by me...........  If it is only worth face value why put it in a slab unless these are for  the "AMWAY" coins  you know Nui islands and the maeshal island...... etc...

On 11/17/2022 at 7:28 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

CGC is trying to streamline grades across all collectibles which would have certain benefits, I get it. They are going to need a lot of people to get on board with this for it become mainstream, the end customers, competitors, ANA, etc.. It will be interesting to see everyone's reaction, or lack there of, in the next six months or so. Maybe it just exists along side everything else, but that would just be a slow death for this new venture. I would think that everyone would need to get on board with this for it to succeed, or there would need to be such an overwhelming positive response and demand for this that it will force everyone else to accept it. (shrug)

I wish they had announced this on Monday so we could have had Kurt get the ANA's board of directors reaction to this. xD

It sounds like this is basically for people who want their American Eagle coins graded. If this removes those pieces from the queue for getting “regular” coins graded, well … lemonade from lemons. 

On 11/17/2022 at 10:24 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

It looks like CCG is putting together "packs" of coins to be sold starting in Jan 2023. I can't wait for the NGCX board game to come out, and then the TV series. :eyeroll:

image.thumb.png.ed4a24abb4ecc83fa342db98734589a7.png

Wait, wait, wait, wait. RANDOMIZATION?!?!? “I’m getting a bad feeling about this.” Are they now saying the “quiet part” out loud?

Edited by VKurtB

For a while will they just mark labels with both grading systems, or maybe that will just be an option.

[Possible revenue generator for dual grading as an option for those who still want to see the 70 grade?]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/17/2022 at 10:35 AM, EagleRJO said:

For a while I assume they will just mark labels with both grading systems, or maybe that will just be an option.

Nope, I’d never assume that at all.