• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mercury Dimes. Care to post your favorites?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2022 at 7:10 PM, physics-fan3.14 said:

I'll be honest, Larry.... I don't really care to post any coins on this forum right now. Sorry. 

I know you're trying. But there isn't much point in trying until the cancer is removed. 

I understand. The cancer must go.

On 11/17/2022 at 8:06 PM, RWB said:

1572355589_J1981comp.thumb.jpg.6dbaf2f7249734e95fcefa5af4390be6.jpg

Attempt to polish soft die resulted in severe degradation of detail. same thing happened to quarter and half dollar.

I've waited very patiently all these years for you to refute, definitively, that you are not just a writer, but a collector as well, and this is the casualty with which you choose to make your long-awaited debut?  ;)

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing

On 11/20/2022 at 8:24 PM, RWB said:

The thread title is: "Mercury Dimes. Care to post your favorites?" It doesn't say one must own the coin. on the J-1981 pattern, I could possibly "own" one digit of the date.... :)

Would it be fair to say once this coin has been "minted," though it may still be on the premises, any damage suffered, whether caused by a mint employee or not, is still characterized as post-mint damage?

On 11/20/2022 at 10:42 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Would it be fair to say once this coin has been "minted," though it may still be on the premises, any damage suffered, whether caused by a mint employee or not, is still characterized as post-mint damage?

Most 1916 pattern pieces have wear and or damage from internal experimentation or circulation. Condition should always be mentioned, but might have limited effect on price.