• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Queen Elizabeth 2/King Charles III arrived today fresh from the Royal Mint
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2022 at 5:31 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Nice Bill, CIII's effigy does not seem to be as horrible as I expected.  All the same I'll be passing on this one, but I'm sure a few CIII coins will find their way into my collection.

Chucky the Turd. 

I often wondered why effigies faced right or left.

explained:

This is due to a tradition, dating back to the 17th century, to alternate the way successive monarchs are facing.

As the Royal Family says on its website: “From the time of Charles II onwards, a tradition developed of monarchs being represented on the coinage facing in the opposite direction to their immediate predecessor.

“The exception to this was in the brief reign of Edward VIII. He liked portraits of himself facing to the left, even though, according to tradition, he should have faced to the right. Designs for proposed coins for his reign show Edward VIII facing to the left.

On 11/14/2022 at 6:53 PM, VKurtB said:

Chucky the Turd. 

Quite the guy ain't he.

The last I read the possibility of CIII getting dumped from Australian banknotes was very much in play, but by law he must be on all coinage.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Grammar

Congrats, Nice coin. The Crest is beautiful, but I can't say the same for Charles. But he was never very handsome to begin with:) But then again neither was old Lizzy. Lol Thanks for posting very nice coin.

Edited by ShinyObjects

On 11/15/2022 at 6:32 AM, Zebo said:

Are you going to pick up the 2022 Memorial sovereign? It’s a busy design (reverse).

A1DDB3BD-A98E-4F80-B9F5-7EC78EE419F0.jpeg

9737C301-85DE-426C-91C5-18970CB01966.jpeg

I do love that reverse.