• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thing you found in change purchased or otherwise obtained.
2 2

250 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

So I finished my coin roll hunt of two 50.00 dollar bags of pennies. I don't have much to report other than I found 37 1940's-1950's wheat cents with full wheat stocks and four older coins another 1929 p, a 1912 p, a 1936 p, and a 1926 d and a 1969 with a slight doubling over both the 9's in the date

On 11/29/2022 at 1:28 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Those were from the bank I paid 100 dollars for 100 dollars of cents to search I lost nothing!

Wait, what bank cause I have to check that out.  I guess they were on the way back to the mint with the various dates. But don't they all get returned with coin roll boxes or pallets?

Today was a really good day I was watching my last few auctions close on ebay and I was nervous because I really wanted this 1856 Large Cent it was just my style it had full stars one slightly damaged but fair enough because I cant afford $75,000 to buy a proof of the coin. The coin was being advertised from May 1989 from the Robert E Mathews Collection. I believe the coin is an N-16 slanting or Italic 5 variety which the red book deluxe edition only mentions slightly. I read that their were only 100 proofs and that specimens with sharp stars are in the minority so I bid $400 and I got it for $189.00. I would love to here what you have to say about this coin? My estimate while using the grading pictures and reading the text is that this coin is an au50 what does everybody think? I know I can't give extra points because of the stars because the grading guide says stars don't count in overall Grading but I really like a coin with full stars. What do you all think of this coin? 

1856n-16largecentobv.JPG

1856n-16largecentrev.JPG

On 12/2/2022 at 1:29 AM, EagleRJO said:

Wait, what bank cause I have to check that out.  I guess they were on the way back to the mint with the various dates. But don't they all get returned with coin roll boxes or pallets?

First Community Credit Union of Coos Bay Oregon. Ask your bank for coin star deposited coins in bags. 

Thanks, there are quite a number of those kiosk around, so I prolly just need to find what local bank they use.

What are the size bags for quarters and halves?

I guess you have to hope the operators are not also collectors. 😜  Maybe @Coinbufwould have an idea because I think he is in that industry.

Edited by EagleRJO

Your 1856 large cent is, indeed, the Slanted (or Italic) 5 Redbook variety.  It's almost definitely not a proof, which shouldn't have a beveled edge and weak dentils.  It should grade somewhere in the AU range, possibly as high as AU 58 by current grading standards, though not by mine.  However, the scrape on Liberty's cheek and neck could lead to an "AU Details" grade.  It is difficult to find later (post-1850 or so) dates of this type with full star centers. This one is close, though stars 2 and 3 look a bit weak.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:18 AM, Sandon said:

Your 1856 large cent is, indeed, the Slanted (or Italic) 5 Redbook variety.  It's almost definitely not a proof, which shouldn't have a beveled edge and weak dentils.  It should grade somewhere in the AU range, possibly as high as AU 58 by current grading standards, though not by mine.  However, the scrape on Liberty's cheek and neck could lead to an "AU Details" grade.  It is difficult to find later (post-1850 or so) dates of this type with full star centers. This one is close, though stars 2 and 3 look a bit weak.

I am most Grateful for your response Sandon thank you very much for your help. I will label it AU details to be on the safe side. Funny I didn't notice the scratch on the face. I have noticed a few red coins of this same variety with weak stars selling for about the same price give or take 20 dollars far higher then red book value. I never bid on the ones lacking stars regardless of how red and bright a coin is. I shoot for full stars but side with what I can afford. 

Never buy any uncertified large cent that is "red and bright" with the idea that this is its original color!  It has almost certainly been "recolored", meaning cleaned with copper cleaner, not numerically gradable, and worth much less than an uncleaned, naturally brown piece.  A copper coin with observable wear would almost never have more than faint traces of original mint color, and even most uncleaned, uncirculated large cents (and other earlier coppers) grade "BN" for "brown". Uncirculated large cents that have enough original color to qualify as "RB" (red and brown) are quite scarce and list $450-$650 for common late dates in just MS63RB.  Full red ("RD") pieces are rare and generally cost thousands--I recall that coins dated 1853 are most frequently encountered in full red--and are usually marred by black "carbon" spots.  As original mint color is perishable even in a grading service holder, I prefer the naturally "brown" pieces. (NGC will only guarantee the grade on copper coins for ten years, and PCGS won't guarantee it at all!)

On 12/2/2022 at 10:34 AM, Sandon said:

Never buy any uncertified large cent that is "red and bright" with the idea that this is its original color!  It has almost certainly been "recolored", meaning cleaned with copper cleaner, not numerically gradable, and worth much less than an uncleaned, naturally brown piece.  A copper coin with observable wear would almost never have more than faint traces of original mint color, and even most uncleaned, uncirculated large cents (and other earlier coppers) grade "BN" for "brown". Uncirculated large cents that have enough original color to qualify as "RB" (red and brown) are quite scarce and list $450-$650 for common late dates in just MS63RB.  Full red ("RD") pieces are rare and generally cost thousands--I recall that coins dated 1853 are most frequently encountered in full red--and are usually marred by black "carbon" spots.  As original mint color is perishable even in a grading service holder, I prefer the naturally "brown" pieces. (NGC will only guarantee the grade on copper coins for ten years, and PCGS won't guarantee it at all!)

This post has been deleted due to request that it be deleted.

Edited by pigeonman333rd
deleting this post because of request by Veteran Numismatist to do so.

@pigeonman333rd--You also posted your question about the 1965 cent on my "Resources for New Collectors" topic.  That topic is for references to books, other publications and websites that would be of value to newer collectors, not for questions about specific coins.  I'd appreciate it if you'd delete that post.  You should post your questions here or under your own new or at least someone else's pertinent topic that invites posts about additional coins.

Based on its strike and what I can see of its surfaces, your 1965 cent came from a 1965 Special Mint Set.  The mint issued these sets dated 1965, 66, and 67 in lieu of both proof and uncirculated coin ("mint") sets. Special Mint Set coins tend to be more strongly struck than circulation issues, were specially handled to avoid abrasions, and, having been struck from polished dies, are usually at least somewhat prooflike (but also sometimes have a flatter or matte finish) but are not proofs. These sets were struck at the San Francisco mint (then designated an assay office) without a mint mark. (Mint marks were not used on any U.S. coins dated 1965, 66, or 67.) The mint reported sales of 2,360,000 1965 dated Special Mint Sets, and the whole set (cent through half dollar) in its original packaging has a current retail value of $12 to $14 per Coin World. Your cent is worth a dollar or two.  (If it's not from a Special Mint Set, it's just an ordinary uncirculated 1965 cent likely worth even less.)  It was at best worth the bag of chips!

Regarding the West Point mint facility, no coins were struck there prior to 1980, when Lincoln cents for circulation were struck there without mint marks to supplement Philadelphia's production.  They are indistinguishable from those actually struck in Philadelphia.  The West Point facility also struck American Arts commemorative gold medallions from 1980-84 without mint marks.  The first use of the "W" mint mark was on the 1984 Olympic commemorative $10 gold pieces. Since then, the facility (now designated an official U.S. mint) has struck collectors' issues of various coins with the "W" mint mark and most of the standard issue precious metal bullion coins without a mint mark. 

Source:  A Guide Book of United States Coins, Expanded Deluxe Edition (a.k.a. "Mega Red") (7th ed. 2021), at pp. 98 (West Point facility), 1283-84, 1290 (Special Mint Sets).

On 11/30/2022 at 11:43 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

1857ms63obv.JPG

1857ms63rev.JPG

This coin was a waist of money pictures are deceiving it appears to be a shinny bright coin but is brown with luster Yuck! I like my cleaned raw coin much better shiny and nice and my corroded coins much better they have Character this one just looks ugly I added it to the registry but it's an embarrassment for such a high price. The only part that shines is the eagle the rest of the coin looks flat brown like a coffee stain so disappointing. Maybe in 25 years I will get what I paid for it or maybe I will get lucky and it will turn Patina green.   

Another heart breaker but I should have guessed they would lose interest! My niece banded together with all my relatives that I gave copper satin cent 2009 sets to and they sold them rather then taking my advice and passing them down generations till they were genuine antiques and then letting family sell them you know like investing in the future of America. Instead she sold them for 14.99 plus shipping and they bought cars. What a shame about 3600 coins lost to time. The worst part is my sister messaged me live to say thank you you didn't have to do that for my girls but she she said we honestly have had enough of running to the post office and she sent about 50 setts back to me instead of giving them to her youngest that I gave proof setts of the same year to because she was born that year and she actually has an interest in coins she was wining man what a shame.  

Maybe when I go to Vermont I will give them directly to Maddi the youngest she has allot more sense then the oldest. A few guys and a girl with a new car was not what I expected but a gift is a gift and I honor that thank you. I don't think I will ever sell the nice ones unless they turn brown then I am not partial and not for cheap either those are rare. 

On 12/5/2022 at 5:12 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Another heart breaker but I should have guessed they would lose interest! My niece banded together with all my relatives that I gave copper satin cent 2009 sets to and they sold them rather then taking my advice and passing them down generations till they were genuine antiques and then letting family sell them you know like investing in the future of America. Instead she sold them for 14.99 plus shipping and they bought cars. What a shame about 3600 coins lost to time. The worst part is my sister messaged me live to say thank you you didn't have to do that for my girls but she she said we honestly have had enough of running to the post office and she sent about 50 setts back to me instead of giving them to her youngest that I gave proof setts of the same year to because she was born that year and she actually has an interest in coins she was wining man what a shame.  

“Setts”? What kind? Massachu?

I should say it was only a few thousand enough to put a down payment on a few cars they pay payments still but their only 16,18 and 21 they will mess it up get repossessed or something part time jobs don't cut it now a days you got to have two full time one part time high paying few hours a week just to make it and with High School and college they will mess up.

I hope the operation goes well, and everything works out with good outcomes. Funny thing is I am posting this reply on my laptop from a hospital room bed waiting to go into surgery myself for some blocked circulation in my leg. ;)

So I won last nights Auction some bidder went one dollar bid crazy for the last15 seconds the bid was 83 dollars and ended up 134.00 I lucked out my max bid was 200 dollars. Its an 1852 large cent with a cud mark obverse so it's an imperfect coin but I love those stars and the reason I'm spending the bank said I needed to use my card I hadn't used in over a year I was mostly paying cash for everything. I need to spend for my credit to go up! Ain't she pretty? My guess is she's an extra fine to an AU50.

1852attributed.JPG

1852obv.JPG

1852rev.JPG

On 12/6/2022 at 8:27 AM, EagleRJO said:

I hope the operation goes well, and everything works out with good outcomes. Funny thing is I am posting this reply on my laptop from a hospital room bed waiting to go into surgery myself for some blocked circulation in my leg. ;)

God Bless You My Friend In The Name Of The Father In The Name of The Son In the Name Of Jesus Christ Amen.

On 12/7/2022 at 7:51 AM, J P M said:

Nice clock Bill.

The entire design of the clock just SCREAMS mid-60’s. Nice period piece. 

On 12/2/2022 at 1:29 AM, EagleRJO said:

First Community Credit Union. Happy Hunting its Sunday so no new coins today. I hope you are recovering well! 

So the only thing I got to report is that I found two rolls to buy both not rare but I need them to go with all the fakes so I have some genuine examples rather then just a book of unc detail fakes of the same year's 1942-D and 1944-D unc rolls more then likely au 55 coins but I will find out soon enough I will be starting the red book here shortly as I can't seem to find the program I was looking for on ana.