• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thing you found in change purchased or otherwise obtained.
2 2

250 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2022 at 6:56 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I just found a destroyed 2002-d which looks like a wide am cent what do you think?

PICT0051.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

I don't think it matters one way or the other. Only 1998,99, and 2000 WAM's are the collectable dates

So here's an interesting coin that I can't find any PCGS coin facts on and I think its a double die obverse but I can't find proof of what kind of DDO it is if it is a DDO. Does anybody know if this is a DDO coin? And is this a cleaned coin or can you tell by the pictures if it has been cleaned? My guess is that it is an extra fine 40 but I don't know.

1858ddo1.JPG

1858ddo2.JPG

1858ddo3.JPG

1858ddo4.JPG

1858ddo5.JPG

The 1858 Small Letters Flying Eagle cent appears to feature common strike doubling from a die that was loose in the press and is not a doubled die.  Note how the secondary image is much shallower than the primary image. On a doubled die both images are about the same depth.  Based on the photos, it has obviously been "cleaned" or polished based upon the overly bright and shiny surface.  Its approximate grade would be Extremely Fine Details.

On 11/24/2022 at 3:21 PM, Sandon said:

The 1858 Small Letters Flying Eagle cent appears to feature common strike doubling from a die that was loose in the press and is not a doubled die.  Note how the secondary image is much shallower than the primary image. On a doubled die both images are about the same depth.  Based on the photos, it has obviously been "cleaned" or polished based upon the overly bright and shiny surface.  Its approximate grade would be Extremely Fine Details.

Thank You Sandon I will avoid buying it if it has been cleaned. Few that was close I almost bought it. I have my Eye on another coin for alot less money so I am glad to be relieved of this coin. 

Here's a coin that I found in change on September 14th 2016 from the Swanton Vermont Chittenden Bank. I believed once that it was a brass cent but now after more coin roll hunting I believe it's a 1983 cent minted on a 1979 copper planchet. The 1983 cent weighs 2.94 grams and the 1979 cent I found weighs 2.99 grams. Here are a few pictures let me know what you think? 

DSC_0052 (2).JPG

DSC_0053 (2) - Copy.JPG

1979cent2.99g.JPG

1983bronzecent.JPG

On 11/24/2022 at 7:40 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Thank You Sandon I will avoid buying it if it has been cleaned. Few that was close I almost bought it. I have my Eye on another coin for alot less money so I am glad to be relieved of this coin. 

Here is a picture of a coin that I had my eye on when I was bidding on the cleaned coin. I purchased this 1858 small letters cent for $31.50. What do you think did I get a good deal or did I make a mistake purchasing this one?

1858sdobv1.JPG

1858smdrev.JPG

The 1858 small letters Flying Eagle cent you purchased has extensive corrosion, pitting and surface roughness, probably from being buried in the ground.  I don't think it's even worth the "Good" money you paid for it. To me it's a $5 or so "junk box" item that is worse than the one that was cleaned.

I once again implore you to spend your money on books about coins and your time on learning about them by looking at them (not just photos) and speaking to experienced collectors and dealers before doing any more coin buying!

FYI, this photo shows what original, unimpaired surfaces look like on a lightly circulated copper-nickel (Flying Eagle or 1859-64 Indian) cent.

1591921354_1859IndiancentPCGSobv..thumb.jpg.a1f9bde31f9cc1cc8807ab6bcbead2e2.jpg

So I finished my coin roll hunt of two 50.00 dollar bags of pennies. I don't have much to report other than I found 37 1940's-1950's wheat cents with full wheat stocks and four older coins another 1929 p, a 1912 p, a 1936 p, and a 1926 d and a 1969 with a slight doubling over both the 9's in the date   

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

PICT0067 - Copy (2).jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

So I finished my coin roll hunt of two 50.00 dollar bags of pennies. I don't have much to report other than I found 37 1940's-1950's wheat cents with full wheat stocks and four older coins another 1929 p, a 1912 p, a 1936 p, and a 1926 d and a 1969 with a slight doubling over both the 9's in the date   

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

PICT0067 - Copy (2).jpg

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

Been studyinv some of the links you guys are providing and I think the 69s is something doubleddie.com calls worthless mechanical doubling and not real doubling  www.doubleddie looks like a goid site  to read.

On 11/28/2022 at 1:49 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

So I finished my coin roll hunt of two 50.00 dollar bags of pennies ... I don't have much to report ,,.

That's not surprising as those 5k bags of cents you can buy for around $150 to $200 have undoubtedly already been cherry picked, and there are really just leftovers remaining that are then sold off.

On 11/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, EagleRJO said:

That's not surprising as those 5k bags of cents you can buy for around $150 to $200 have undoubtedly already been cherry picked, and there are really just leftovers remaining that are then sold off.

Those were from the bank I paid 100 dollars for 100 dollars of cents to search I lost nothing!

Your latest 1858 small letters Flying Eagle cent appears to have uncirculated details, but the streaking and glossiness on the obverse don't look right.  The coin may have been "cleaned" or may not be genuine.  I'd have to see the actual coin (not photos) at different angles to get a better idea.  

On 11/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, Sandon said:

The 1858 small letters Flying Eagle cent you purchased has extensive corrosion, pitting and surface roughness, probably from being buried in the ground.  I don't think it's even worth the "Good" money you paid for it. To me it's a $5 or so "junk box" item that is worse than the one that was cleaned.

I once again implore you to spend your money on books about coins and your time on learning about them by looking at them (not just photos) and speaking to experienced collectors and dealers before doing any more coin buying!

FYI, this photo shows what original, unimpaired surfaces look like on a lightly circulated copper-nickel (Flying Eagle or 1859-64 Indian) cent.

1591921354_1859IndiancentPCGSobv..thumb.jpg.a1f9bde31f9cc1cc8807ab6bcbead2e2.jpg

I am starting to believe I care more about strike type then I do over all condition of the coin but I like a full strike and don't mind a scratch or two or corrosion or paint and debris don't get me wrong an original surface of a coin is best but I would rather have a corroded coin with detail then I would have a cleaned coin or a coin that lacks detail but hasn't been cleaned even though its more original. In my I don't think I own any flying eagles that don't either have corrosion or have been cleaned. Here's a pic of something I have had for a long time and it's fake but I would never get rid of it because it's become an heirloom piece of brass.   

fake1856obv.JPG

fake1856rev.JPG

On 11/29/2022 at 3:57 PM, Sandon said:

Your latest 1858 small letters Flying Eagle cent appears to have uncirculated details, but the streaking and glossiness on the obverse don't look right.  The coin may have been "cleaned" or may not be genuine.  I'd have to see the actual coin (not photos) at different angles to get a better idea.  

I avoided that coin thanks to the experts here Thank You Very Much Sandon!

On 11/28/2022 at 12:02 PM, NewGuy1 said:

Been studyinv some of the links you guys are providing and I think the 69s is something doubleddie.com calls worthless mechanical doubling and not real doubling  www.doubleddie looks like a goid site  to read.

That was an interesting article on the different types of useless doubling thanks NewGuy1!

Here's a coin I bought for it's reverse mechanical doubling. I really cant stand how brown this coin is it looks a little better in the flash of the camera as it lightens up in the image where as in real life its as brown as coffee with cream plaid even very ugly. I really dislike how its missing breast feathers but it was cheap so its probably cleaned. I really like the reverse of this coin because of the mechanical doubling around the bow and wreath though. What do you all think was it worth 20 dollars?  

1858ddobv.JPG

1858ddrev.JPG

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0058 - Copy.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

PICT0071.jpg

PICT0072 - Copy (2).jpg

PICT0072 - Copy.jpg

PICT0072.jpg

On 11/29/2022 at 9:20 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I really can't stand how brown this coin is it looks a little better in the flash of the camera as it lightens up in the image whereas in real life it's as brown as coffee with cream plaid even very ugly.

Actually, this one looks pretty nice and original to me. Unimpaired circulated copper-nickel cents range in color from beige to fairly dark brown.  It's no wonder you're attracted to the cleaned ones!

I also have a bronze 1856 small letters cent from bank of Shanghai two of them but then again they are fake sold as antique collectable they left out the fake part but I love them. I will take pics when I can I have 1856,,1857,and 1858 small dates but their not real just really old fakes. 

On 11/30/2022 at 3:34 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

I also have a bronze 1856 small letters cent from bank of Shanghai two of them but then again they are fake sold as antique collectable they left out the fake part but I love them. I will take pics when I can I have 1856,,1857,and 1858 small dates but their not real just really old fakes. 

I shouldn't say bank of Shanghai because that was just the return address on the package and that could just be a cover.i will post pics later

@pigeonman333rd

There is a thing called Long acre doubling that seems to be common on Indians and flying eagles. Im not going to pretend I understand the details, but it sounds like understanding something about it would be very helpful for someone with your interests. 

Also, I think its best to buy coins that you likeand want to study  don't waste your time and money because you think it may something others think are important.  But that's just my opinion and whatever you chose to do will be the right thing for you so feel free the skip over anything I have to say. Im just some old collector who's found a good site that helping me learn more

On 11/30/2022 at 8:17 AM, NewGuy1 said:

@pigeonman333rd

There is a thing called Long acre doubling that seems to be common on Indians and flying eagles. Im not going to pretend I understand the details, but it sounds like understanding something about it would be very helpful for someone with your interests. 

Also, I think its best to buy coins that you likeand want to study  don't waste your time and money because you think it may something others think are important.  But that's just my opinion and whatever you chose to do will be the right thing for you so feel free the skip over anything I have to say. Im just some old collector who's found a good site that helping me learn more

Keep up the Good Work brother! Welcome to NGC

On 11/30/2022 at 4:16 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Keep up the Good Work brother! Welcome to NGC. I took your advice and bought me a brand new flying eagle cent well new to me and it shines a little bit but it's in the mail I hope they don't lose it before it gets to me.

1857ms63obv.JPG

1857ms63rev.JPG

If you look closely at the reverse their is a green spot that worries me but I probably will hold on to this one it cost me 999.00 dollars but its original for now until that patina eats it alive but I hope not. At least it's not cleaned right Boss!

Here's a pic of two fakes an 1857 an 1856 and an 1858 small letters cent. I thought the 1857 was a small date but its not the 1856 is a small date and the 1858 I think that's genuine so I still need the 1857 small date in fake and the 1858 small date in fake sorry for the mix up their I thought I had them all in fake.

1856fake.JPG

1857fake.JPG

1858small.JPG