• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any thing you found in change purchased or otherwise obtained.
2 2

250 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2022 at 11:09 AM, EagleRJO said:

@ldhairVery nice, even though it's net graded! Is that your coin?

No. Not mine. The image belongs to Rick Snow. I do own two of the variety as well as a nice 1857 Quarter with the matching clash. 

There are also Flying Eagle Cents that show clashing from the 1857 Half Dollar and the 1857 $20 gold piece. 

Some believe the night watchman at the mint at the time was playing with the presses. Long story.

On 11/20/2022 at 12:33 PM, ldhair said:

Some believe the night watchman at the mint at the time was playing with the presses. Long story.

@ldhair Sounds like an interesting story, that maybe you want to tell one rainy day. I have heard similar rumors of things that happen at the mint during the night. :nyah:

Thank you all I will avoid certifying this coin as it would be graded harshly cleaned. I got alot of reading to do.I need to buy a few books gotta check out Sandons setts and I might want to take the ANA certificate course while its still 499.00.Learn to earn I suppose.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:01 AM, Sandon said:

Regarding the 1921-D Morgan dollar, this is an extremely common coin that you shouldn't have to buy from online from bad photos! ... Although I think that Morgan and Peace dollars are generally overpriced these days, if you must have a 1921-D right now, an average uncirculated piece (MS 62 or so) can be had for $50-$75.

I agree with Sandon to stick with reputable ANA/PNG dealers you can visit to check out coins in person, or larger reputable online dealers who post very clear pictures with the listings and that you know are going to be around down the road (like Littleton, Apmex, Pinehurst, Northeast Numismatics, etc.).  Also make sure they have a no questions return policy so you can carefully check out the coins in-hand, and return them if not completely satisfied, as pictures only tell part of the story with coins.

I would avoid eBay unless you are very comfortable with properly evaluating and accurately grading coins yourself, as there are a lot of impaired or over-graded coins and counterfeits you have to be very careful with unless it's already slabbed.  And even if you carefully check raw coins, there is still increased risk you have to be willing to accept.  And avoid sites like Etsy and others like the plague.  I have dealt with dealers like Apmex and Northeast (as well as Great Collections auctions) for quite a lot of coins without any serious issues, and if I do find something after getting a coin or I'm not completely happy with the coin they will even send me a return shipping label at their expense and exchange it with no problem.

Attached is a pic of a listing with just one dealer from a quick check who has the 1921-D in a BU grade (mint state) for a pretty reasonable price as Sandon noted.  Note the better quality of the pic with the listing, so you have a little bit of a better idea of the coin you will get.  Prices are coming down, so I have been shopping around before I buy coins, and for some more expensive coins on my "want list" I am being pretty patient and just watching prices for now.

1921-D Morgan Dollar.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/20/2022 at 12:33 PM, ldhair said:

No. Not mine. The image belongs to Rick Snow. I do own two of the variety as well as a nice 1857 Quarter with the matching clash. 

There are also Flying Eagle Cents that show clashing from the 1857 Half Dollar and the 1857 $20 gold piece.

@ldhairI was able to find some very interesting info on that 1857 Snow-8 Cent.  I don't know if it will come out legible as I can't attach a pdf.

1857 Snow-8 Cent Info.jpg

On 11/21/2022 at 8:54 AM, VKurtB said:

Simply gorgeous piece. 

Thanks VKurtB. Now I know from checking out the pcgs coin facts on 1936 double dies that this is not a true double die but I am curious as what to call the excess material copper on the outside top of 1936 date that can kind of be seen in the picture using the coin camera but show much easier under the light and the loop. I ask that because I used to own a 1909 double die but I sent it to a political campaign as a contribution so I have no pictures of it but the two coins are similar in having the extra material above and around the date. Neither one of the two varieties of 1936 double die on pcgs coin facts match this coin so it appears to be a plain 1936 coin.

On 11/22/2022 at 11:20 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Thanks VKurtB. Now I know from checking out the pcgs coin facts on 1936 double dies that this is not a true double die but I am curious as what to call the excess material copper on the outside top of 1936 date that can kind of be seen in the picture using the coin camera but show much easier under the light and the loop. I ask that because I used to own a 1909 double die but I sent it to a political campaign as a contribution so I have no pictures of it but the two coins are similar in having the extra material above and around the date. Neither one of the two varieties of 1936 double die on pcgs coin facts match this coin so it appears to be a plain 1936 coin.

It needs to be okay that a nice coin is all it is. It’s really NOT all about errors, you know. 

On 11/20/2022 at 7:12 PM, EagleRJO said:

I agree with Sandon to stick with reputable ANA/PNG dealers you can visit to check out coins in person, or larger reputable online dealers who post very clear pictures with the listings and that you know are going to be around down the road (like Littleton, Apmex, Pinehurst, Northeast Numismatics, etc.).  Also make sure they have a no questions return policy so you can carefully check out the coins in-hand, and return them if not completely satisfied, as pictures only tell part of the story with coins.

I would avoid eBay unless you are very comfortable with properly evaluating and accurately grading coins yourself, as there are a lot of impaired or over-graded coins and counterfeits you have to be very careful with unless it's already slabbed.  And even if you carefully check raw coins, there is still increased risk you have to be willing to accept.  And avoid sites like Etsy and others like the plague.  I have dealt with dealers like Apmex and Northeast (as well as Great Collections auctions) for quite a lot of coins without any serious issues, and if I do find something after getting a coin or I'm not completely happy with the coin they will even send me a return shipping label at their expense and exchange it with no problem.

Attached is a pic of a listing with just one dealer from a quick check who has the 1921-D in a BU grade (mint state) for a pretty reasonable price as Sandon noted.  Note the better quality of the pic with the listing, so you have a little bit of a better idea of the coin you will get.  Prices are coming down, so I have been shopping around before I buy coins, and for some more expensive coins on my "want list" I am being pretty patient and just watching prices for now.

1921-D Morgan Dollar.jpg

That's How I feel about the 1856 flying eagle cent I like to check prices and shop around however I'm in Oregon and have not ran into any shops that have an 1856 flying eagle cent where as when I lived in Vermont their were two shops that had one each in stock. Thanks for the list of reputable dealers. And nice coin pic of a 1921 D Morgan silver dollar. I don't notice prices going down on Morgan's however the prices have risen alot more slowly from the mid 1990's to now. I remember in the 1990's when a Morgan silver dollar in ms60 and lower grades would go for about 15-25 dollars. I have noticed a price increase for the same coins to range from 35-65 dollars 1921's included. One coin I purchased that I just had to have I paid 50.00 dollars for because I fear the price will go up it is the 1879s and I could only afford it in approximately an AU50  

On 11/22/2022 at 12:20 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

... I used to own a 1909 double die but I sent it to a political campaign as a contribution

Interesting campaign contribution.  Are you sure they didn't just spend it! :insane: 

On 11/22/2022 at 1:03 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I don't notice prices going down on Morgan's however the prices have risen alot more slowly from the mid 1990's to now.

Prices for these are definitely coming down recently.  I have been watching them like a hawk to plug holes in a complete Morgan collection I have been working on to finally finish that.  NGC and PCG$ guide prices are also coming down.  With the anticipated economic downturn that's likely to continue.

Understood about not always finding what you are looking for at your LCSs, as I have been running into the same issue plugging holes, and also in general, due to local COL pushing those prices up for me.  As long as they are reputable, expected to be around down the road, and have no questions returns. Plus I'm not an advocate of driving across several state lines to buy a $75 coin that you can't get locally. ;)

On 11/22/2022 at 1:30 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Here is a pic of the 1879s that I bought but I failed to see the scratches on the left wing of the reverse and that hurts the grade.

Just having some scratches doesn't mean it's a total loss in my book, unless you really wanted to to have an MS grade for that coin.  I don't get hung up on high MS grades in slab coffins as some do, and have many coins with indications of being circulated, as that is mostly the ultimate intent of coins in the first place.  I actually like the way some of the raw XF or AU coins I have look compared to other ones that are slabbed mint state coins.  To each his own.

On 11/22/2022 at 10:51 AM, EagleRJO said:

Interesting campaign contribution.  Are you sure they didn't just spend it! :insane: 

Prices for these are definitely coming down recently.  I have been watching them like a hawk to plug holes in a complete Morgan collection I have been working on to finally finish that.  NGC and PCG$ guide prices are also coming down.  With the anticipated economic downturn that's likely to continue.

Understood about not always finding what you are looking for at your LCSs, as I have been running into the same issue plugging holes, and also in general, due to local COL pushing those prices up for me.  As long as they are reputable, expected to be around down the road, and have no questions returns. Plus I'm not an advocate of driving across several state lines to buy a $75 coin that you can't get locally. ;)

It was certified in a case from pcgs so unless they broke it out of the case to spend it I don't think so. I hope your right about prices going down because my dad and I have most of the P and O mint marks and we are trying to finish that in about au50 across the board. We lack 1894 because its so rare but their are a few cheaper coins that we lack such as 1887 O. Are their any 1894 P coins available in AU50 for about 1200 dollars or so? So are you saying you have most of the Morgans even the Carson City coins because that would be rare? We have like 2 g4 carson city coins but they were 90 dollars a piece and I was apposed to buying them I think one AU coin would have been a better investment.

On 11/22/2022 at 9:24 AM, VKurtB said:

It needs to be okay that a nice coin is all it is. It’s really NOT all about errors, you know. 

Are their any reputable coin dealers that sell unsearched uncirculated wheat cents by the 25.00 dollar face value box for about 1000 dollars because I'm interested in all the errors because they look nice in the book. I just rerolled all the 1940's and 1950's except for a few examples if they were not error coins but they were spotless and I used gloves. I especially like the filled dates like the copper filled 9's in the date. The real nice ones are the 1942-d bu coins and the 1959-d wheat cent reverse bu error coins.

I have been working on a complete circulation Morgan set with all years and marks in a target XF to BU grade for a while, and I'm only missing a handful of mostly more expensive early CC or later S marks I have been shopping around for in a slightly lower grade.  You prolly can get an 1894 (P) in AU-50 for around your target price if you can be patient.  And I also prefer quality over quantity.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:01 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

Are their any reputable coin dealers that sell unsearched uncirculated wheat cents by the 25.00 dollar face value box for about 1000 dollars because I'm interested in all the errors because they look nice in the book. I just rerolled all the 1940's and 1950's except for a few examples if they were not error coins but they were spotless and I used gloves. I especially like the filled dates like the copper filled 9's in the date. The real nice ones are the 1942-d bu coins and the 1959-d wheat cent reverse bu error coins.

There is virtually no such thing as unsearched anything. Usually, it’s a bald-faced lie. 

Unsearched coin rolls for sale virtually means that nobody has looked thru the roll since the flim-lam artist put that roll together using older style paper wrappers with bait coins on the ends and total garbage in between.

Classic bait end coins include a date on one end and a mark on the other end when combined together would be rare, but of course there is no such coin in the roll.  It's funny watching these tubers going thru "unsearched" rolls they paid a premium for and coming up craps. (:

On 11/22/2022 at 12:53 PM, EagleRJO said:

Unsearched coin rolls for sale virtually means that nobody has looked thru the roll since the flim-lam artist put that roll together using older style paper wrappers with bait coins on the ends and total garbage in between.

Classic bait end coins include a date on one end and a mark on the other end when combined together would be rare, but of course there is no such coin in the roll.  It's funny watching these tubers going thru "unsearched" rolls they paid a premium for and coming up craps. (:

That didn't happen in my case I will admit their were alot of 1940's and 1950's but all unc and a few 1920's no 1930's but alot of error coins. I like error coins as long as they are unc but I was hoping for a 1955 double die obverse but it didn't happen. I got alot of filled 9's bie mark errors one 1959 d wheat back and a few crack skull die errors.I just want a second chance.

On 11/22/2022 at 2:22 PM, EagleRJO said:

Idk, sounds like a loss.  I get a thrill from searching thru face value bank rolls and finding errors and unusual things, even if they aren't worth that much.  To each his own.

Ain't that the truth I have had a hard time getting rolls though. The credit union says they will do it but then never call me back for a pick up I better call them back today. Do you search the Nickle rolls for the 1940's silver ones?

On 11/22/2022 at 2:53 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

their is a problem with that 1959-d wheat reverse it only weighs about 2.7 grams which I think 2.99-3.1 grams is the right weight for a genuine coin. Score the bank saved the coins from coinstar for me in bags going to pick them up now.

so got em back on the coin hunt!

On 11/22/2022 at 6:56 PM, pigeonman333rd said:

I just found a destroyed 2002-d which looks like a wide am cent what do you think?

PICT0051.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

I don't think it matters one way or the other. Only 1998,99, and 2000 WAM's are the collectable dates