• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 D Double Die ONLY 100 IN EXISTENCE
3 3

69 posts in this topic

I want to see his skills in a slab if he has more skills than ye whom he informs.

I have opinion without authority, I shoot my foot aiming at the thread.

I regret that my text caused your unease, that is not what I wanted.—Craig.

On 11/6/2022 at 2:33 PM, Oldhoopster said:

So you're just going to bounce in, make an inflammatory statement, provide no substantiation, and then refuse to support your statement when called out.  I guess that's all we need to know about the credibility of your comments.  Thanks. 

Yes, you call me out. 
Not a great way to make an appearance, I agree.

Who posts seriously after three denials and more?

I have to earn credibility in matters numismatic and financial.

It is hard to be credible when when I write something absurd.

I wouldn’t want to be disliked by you, OH, in particular, I enjoy your posts in other forums.

On 11/7/2022 at 5:13 PM, zadok said:

...easy to tell the diff, crows r a bit bigger n have feathers....

numismatically speaking i dont recall seeing a coin with either portrayed?...maybe a rook somewhere?....

On 11/2/2022 at 10:30 PM, Me4it said:

I’ll send it in

Time out! Time out! Please don't do that on our account! Submitting solves nothing! I don't understand how this, got to that! Submission is an act of last resort. [If I win the Powerball tonite, don't expect me to cover your losses!  You were forewarned!]  🤔 

On 11/6/2022 at 6:44 AM, Ray Tatum said:

Thread reeks of envy, I hope that it gets the grade that you deserve. Good luck.

If someone states something that a bunch of people -- most of whom do not know one another and haven't met at all or many times and thus have no coordinated benefit to all taking 1 side of a debate -- "reek of envy"......couldn't it just be that they are RIGHT ?????  (thumbsu

On 11/6/2022 at 3:15 PM, Ray Tatum said:

I want to see his skills in a slab if he has more skills than ye whom he informs. I have opinion without authority, I shoot my foot aiming at the thread. I regret that my text caused your unease, that is not what I wanted.—Craig.

Craig, what do you want to bet that not only does the coin NOT get the designation OR grade he seeks....but that he never posts again here and/or doesn't post with the TPG grade he receives ?  xD

On 11/6/2022 at 9:57 PM, VKurtB said:

There is a HUGE phalanx of newbies out there with hubris and confidence faaaar in excess of their experience’s ability to cover it. They’re swarming here like locusts. 

Yes, I'm waiting for one to show up here offering me authentic MS-65 Saints at $1,200 a pop. xD

On 11/7/2022 at 10:52 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If someone states something that a bunch of people -- most of whom do not know one another and haven't met at all or many times and thus have no coordinated benefit to all taking 1 side of a debate -- "reek of envy"......couldn't it just be that they are RIGHT ?????  (thumbsu

[sarcasm] Oh no, “Finger”, the LAST possible scenario on ANY message board is that people with six decades of experience in numismatics are right. What are you? Some kind of radical, or what? It’s far better to scour pictures on the internet and convince yourself, “Hey, mine looks like that’n, only BETTER!” Don’t you know that’s the new true way?

/insert massive eye roll here

On 11/8/2022 at 6:21 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

Whatever happened to the good old days when a doubled-die coin, like the 1955, set the standard by which all other pretenders to the throne were judged?

Standards erode. You of all people should know that. 

On 11/8/2022 at 9:00 AM, VKurtB said:

Standards erode. You of all people should know that. 

FWIW... talking about standards, I spotted an ad with the grade, FDC-66. I feel this can only be a direct response to undeniable collector demand.

On 11/8/2022 at 5:27 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

FWIW... talking about standards, I spotted an ad with the grade, FDC-66. I feel this can only be a direct response to undeniable collector demand.

French grading?

On 11/8/2022 at 7:58 PM, VKurtB said:

French grading?

As a matter of fact, yes! It was jarring and made me think back to the time I ordered an FDC [65-70] raw, hoping it would be a 66, but it was adjudged to be a 64+.  Would they have accepted a return? Indubitably! But international returns are never routine and entail risk. I kept it.

On 11/8/2022 at 7:58 PM, VKurtB said:

French grading?

...more or less...the paris mint issues Fleur De Coin sets, similar to our proof sets...first issued in 1964, its a valid grading term, usually indicating coins that would grade 68-70 on our standards....

On 11/8/2022 at 8:56 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

As a matter of fact, yes! It was jarring and made me think back to the time I ordered an FDC [65-70] raw, hoping it would be a 66, but it was adjudged to be a 64+.  Would they have accepted a return? Indubitably! But international returns are never routine and entail risk. I kept it.

So wait. YOU bought a French fleur-de-coin (65-70) that ended up graded 64+, and I bought an XF across the counter at Chard’s of Blackpool, England, which is in  MS65 NGC plastic today? Wow. It’s not just here where opinions go wacky, is it?

On 11/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, VKurtB said:

So wait. YOU bought a French fleur-de-coin (65-70) that ended up graded 64+, and I bought an XF across the counter at Chard’s of Blackpool, England, which is in  MS65 NGC plastic today? Wow. It’s not just here where opinions go wacky, is it?

Dem's the luck of the draw. I declined to return it and, observing Q.A.'s inviolate Rule #1, refused to crack it out and resubmit it. As the sprightly, "Oh"----a legend in his own time once observed, education can be costly. It comes with the territory...

On 11/9/2022 at 1:16 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Dem's the luck of the draw. I declined to return it and, observing Q.A.'s inviolate Rule #1, refused to crack it out and resubmit it. As the sprightly, "Oh"----a legend in his own time once observed, education can be costly. It comes with the territory...

On 11/2/2022 at 11:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

Not shelf doubling, that ghost like look on these copper plated zinc core cents is from the outer copper layer as the coin is struck the copper stretches and bunches up.    It is just a striking issue with the zinc cents, often seen with some sliver of the silver zinc showing because the outer copper layer actually splits.    In this case the copper layer did not split but the effect is the same, errorref.com has a section on this and has some examples of the effect on a broadstruck coin which shows the split effect and the zinc showing through really well.

There are in fact 4 listed DDO's for the 1995-D, however only DDO-003 (FS-103) is significant and of value, I do not see the op coin as matching to DDO-003, and even if it does the coin looks to be in AU condition so I doubt it has much value.

If the op actually submits this coin (which I doubt) I do not expect to see any updates when the coin comes back.   Seems to be the MO of late, start a thread that the op has some major rarity and solicit offers for that said coin before it gets sent off for grading.   Smells like a scam just like the last one of these in this thread Same MO, notice when I asked that op for some proof he disappeared.

@Coinbufthanks for the info and description. I don't collect cents other than what I encounter in change or (lately) parking lots. But it is always interesting to learn about other coins, and this "ghost doubling" which seems to be particular to cents.

There doesn't seem to be universal agreement on what to call this, so maybe just include it in the category of Machine Doubling along with shelf doubling, with something that gives the appearance of doubling but from a different cause during the striking, and not the preparation of the dies [as would be the case with doubled dies, RPM, etc.]

@Me4itdid you submit the coin for grading? There is a word for people who try to offer coins for sale that they think is a major error on a coin with a high grade without any proof of that, and even after they have been told by very experienced people that it is not what they think without submitting it to a TPG ... Scam Artist.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/11/2022 at 7:37 AM, EagleRJO said:

@Coinbufthanks for the info and description. I don't collect cents other than what I encounter in change or (lately) parking lots. But it is always interesting to learn about other coins, and this "ghost doubling" which seems to be particular to cents.

There doesn't seem to be universal agreement on what to call this, so maybe just include it in the category of Machine Doubling along with shelf doubling, with something that gives the appearance of doubling but from a different cause during the striking and not the preparation of the dies.

@Me4itdid you submit the coin for grading? There is a word for people who try to offer coins for sale that they think is a major error on a coin with a high grade without any proof of that, and even after they have been told by very experienced people that it is not what they think without submitting it to a TPG ... Scam Artist.

This condition properly belongs in the "split plate doubling" category, which is a form of strike doubling.   I find that terminology can be confusing to for some collectors to understand (especially new collectors) for coins like this where the copper plating did not actually split.   So, while I often use the ghost doubling term it is not the proper term and I should probably get out of the habit of using it to avoid confusion.