• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Gasparo's 1977 dollar

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone...

I am trying to find out about a " FRANK GASPARRO 1977 DOLLAR COIN, it was the first design... before the "SUSAN B ANTHONY" It was minted, but the mint decided not to use this design. I have one coin, but I cannot find the TOTAL MINTAGE, really... I am having trouble finding any information on the coin at all. Can anyone help me please?

Thank you!!   

gasparro 1977 dollar.jpg

gasparro 1977 front.jpg

• Administrator

Hello,

This design was struck as a pattern in 1977. However, none were actually released. This is likely some sort of copy or tribute coin. 

Paul

I believe it is a Daniel Carr (Moonlight Mint) original tribute piece. I collect his stuff and would buy it. 

Hello Kurt!

thanks for the info, I am sending it to be graded tomorrow, but absolutely I am interested in selling. Would you like to wait for the grade? Or do you have an offer now?

no pressure my friend, just asking if you are interested. 

from what I have read, these coins WERE minted. But it is unknown as to how many even exist. It sounds like a gem to me, but I really do not have any backstory to it 

do you have any insight Kurt?

william 

This piece will not be recognized as a pattern, since none were released.  It does not matter how many were minted, they were all presumed destroyed. Your piece is a copy of that pattern, and if graded at all, will be labeled as such. It does not have the word "COPY" on it, in accordance with the Hobby Protection Act, so it might be considered illegal.

Hello

On 11/1/2022 at 1:54 AM, Just Bob said:

This piece will not be recognized as a pattern, since none were released.  It does not matter how many were minted, they were all presumed destroyed. Your piece is a copy of that pattern, and if graded at all, will be labeled as such. It does not have the word "COPY" on it, in accordance with the Hobby Protection Act, so it might be considered illegal.

Ok, well there is No COPY PRINT ON IT,  let me know what you want to do

thanks for the info, I am sending it to be graded tomorrow, but absolutely I am interested in selling. Would you like to wait for the grade? Or do you have an offer now?

from what I have read, these coins WERE minted. But it is unknown as to how many even exist. It sounds like a gem to me, but I really do not have any backstory to it 

william 

An administrator for NGC's parent company already told you that it is not a real coin and could not identify it as a legitimate collectible.  The U.S. mint never released any small dollar coins with Gasparro's design!  It's highly unlikely that NGC or any other reputable grading service would encapsulate or grade it. You may wish to clarify this before spending your money to submit it!

Edited by Sandon

On 11/1/2022 at 11:39 AM, Sandon said:

An administrator for NGC's parent company already told you that it is not a real coin and could not identify it as a legitimate collectible.  The U.S. mint never released any small dollar coins with Gasparro's design!  It's highly unlikely that NGC or any other reputable grading service would encapsulate or grade it. You may wish to clarify this before spending your money to submit it!

I do not think he is not going to actually send it for grading, heck I'm not even convinced that he has this coin at all, just fishing for a buyer.   Smells like a scam.

i 100 percent DO HAVE this COIN, and I will send it for grading

this is no SCAM my friend

william 

Hello Kurt!

william 

On 11/1/2022 at 12:23 PM, w_p_g said:

i 100 percent DO HAVE this COIN, and I will send it for grading

this is no SCAM my friend

So as you claim to have the coin how about you take a photo of that coin on top of today's newspaper with the date of the newspaper showing.

It might not be a Carr piece, but that other fellow who did small dollar prototypes. He was striking the 2014 tribute Brasher Doubloons at Chicago. He did things “denominated” ONE CONCEPT. 

Edited by VKurtB