• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1995 D Double Die ONLY 100 IN EXISTENCE
3 3

69 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2022 at 1:40 PM, Coinbuf said:

This condition properly belongs in the "split plate doubling" category, which is a form of strike doubling.   I find that terminology can be confusing to for some collectors to understand (especially new collectors) for coins like this where the copper plating did not actually split.   So, while I often use the ghost doubling term it is not the proper term and I should probably get out of the habit of using it to avoid confusion.

I have often found throughout my professional career dealing with some very complicated issues, and trying to convey information to others, that using less technically correct observational or descriptive terms is much more useful, as long as I am aware of the more technically correct terms and understand those. ;)

On 11/8/2022 at 7:58 PM, VKurtB said:

French grading?

I found the source! The latest catalog on French Modern Coins (Modernes 44) from cgb.fr Numismatique Paris.

Turning casually to the section on 20 FRANCS OR, I noticed immediately each listing had a stock number followed by the standard French grade, SUP (Superbe) SPL (Splendide) and FDC (Fleur de Coin) and a specific number within the grade range. Following that entry further, are boxed pictogrammes denoting PCGS, NGC, ANACS and GENI, the precise grade repeated, and the price in Euros.  I do not believe I have seen these in previous recent catalogs. [There is even a listing for a frappe medaille with the caption, FAUX DE 20 FRANCS OR COQ. [Emphasis mine.]

Unfortunately, I found nothing that would be useful for an upgrade, although I am not officially looking. doh!  :roflmao:

On 11/11/2022 at 3:07 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Unfortunately, I found

nothing that would be useful for an upgrade, although I am not officially looking. doh! 

I thought that was Ricky's call! (:

Btw, I have never seen anything on the French coin grading system. 70 max like in the US?

On 11/11/2022 at 4:27 PM, EagleRJO said:

Btw, I have never seen anything on the French coin grading system. 70 max like in the US?

I think so.  There was this TPG set to enter the market in France back in 2018 called GENI.  Super cool little holder if you ask me.  But I'm not sure if it was vaporware or still active.  The website still shows en construction and all the images are similar types of pics.

https://numismag.com/en/2018/02/14/challenger-francais-monde-grading-numismatique/grading-monnaie-geni-numismag-1/

* Oh wait, no.  It's a different scale.  There's an "F 99" on one of these listed for sale on eBay.  258 current listings (including the false flag keywords).  Curious to know if they're still going or if this is just leftovers.

Edited by Crawtomatic

On 11/11/2022 at 6:00 PM, Crawtomatic said:

think so.  There was this TPG set to enter the market in France back in 2018 called GENI.  Super cool little holder if you ask me.

I did find the following website for GENI, but it is only (c) 2018 on the homepage so it doesn't look like it's still operating ...

https://www.numiscorner.com/products/grading-geni-2

I"m not really a fan of plastic slab coffins in general, but the proposed GENI slabs, like the attached, with the info/grade on the edge is pretty unusual.

Grading-Monnaie-Geni-Numismag-3.jpg

On 11/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, EagleRJO said:

I did find the following website for GENI, but it is only (c) 2018 on the homepage so it doesn't look like it's still operating ...

https://www.numiscorner.com/products/grading-geni-2

I"m not really a fan of plastic slab coffins in general, but the proposed GENI slabs, like the attached, with the info/grade on the edge is pretty unusual.

Grading-Monnaie-Geni-Numismag-3.jpg

Hmm. A COBwebsite?

On 11/11/2022 at 6:32 PM, VKurtB said:

Hmm. A COBwebsite?

That would be akin to characterizing any TPGS with a similar pejorative appellation.  MA-SHOPS, a consortium of coin concerns (as you know) is a highly-regarded concern overseas and cgb.fr is but a boutique in their portfolio.  Besides, the full-color, high-quality catalog I just received is the very latest.

On 11/11/2022 at 6:00 PM, Crawtomatic said:

I think so.  There was this TPG set to enter the market in France back in 2018 called GENI.  Super cool little holder if you ask me.  But I'm not sure if it was vaporware or still active.  The website still shows en construction and all the images are similar types of pics.

https://numismag.com/en/2018/02/14/challenger-francais-monde-grading-numismatique/grading-monnaie-geni-numismag-1/

* Oh wait, no.  It's a different scale.  There's an "F 99" on one of these listed for sale on eBay.  258 current listings (including the false flag keywords).  Curious to know if they're still going or if this is just leftovers.

GENI would not be included if it were not current.  I was tempted to acquire one for the novelty, but sanity prevailed.  It was bad enough I had to choose between PCGS and NGC and wound up accepting both for their respective Set Registries.  A GENI, I am sorry to say, would necessitate a cross-grade.  For those of you who don't know, World Gold Coins encapsulated in diverse holders are not (and may not ever be) universally accepted, interchangeably on Set Registries owing to extant laws on miscegenation.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:27 PM, EagleRJO said:

Unbeknownst to all but the world coin collector, France, the United States, England, Germany, Italy and Spain each have their own grading standard. And the euro is the common currency used.

To answer your question:

B (beau) G-06 to F-14;  TB (Tres beau) F-15 to VF-39;   TTB (Tres tres Beau) XF-40 to AU-54;   SUP (Superbe) AU-55 to MS-62;   SPL (Splendide) MS-63 & MS-64;  FDC (Fleur de Coin) MS-65 to MS-70;  BE (Belle Epreuve) PROOF.  There is also a BU (Brillant Universal) Brilliant Uncirculated, but it is not clear why it follows PROOF on the Table of Grading Standards. PROOF is PROOF. It is not further distinguished.

Take another look at FDC, above.  You sure you want to collect gold roosters? Imagine ordering an FDC like I did, submitting it for a cross-grade, and having it presented in a lovely slab bestowed with the  label MS-64+.

[Note:  You're lucky, Eagle. If you'd've asked Oldhoop this question, he'd've directed you politely to go look it up yourself!]   :makepoint:  doh!  :roflmao: