• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitted - MS68.5 vs mine. & off topic updated
1 1

163 posts in this topic

About these coins it was said the 1885 Morgan was an end coin from a 20 yr old roll. Some questions about that. Where did this roll come from? Was it an older style grey colored paper with crimped ends that would leave most of one side exposed? And was the 1886 Morgan from the other end?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/4/2022 at 7:32 AM, EagleRJO said:

About these coins it was said the 1885 Morgan was an end coin from a 20 yr old roll. Some questions about that. Whete did this roll come from? Was it an older style grey colored paper with crimped ends that would leave most of one side exposed? And was the 1886 Morgan from the other end?

A twenty year old paper roll is not very old if you think about it...2002 I have older rolls than that in my desk draw.

On 11/4/2022 at 7:27 AM, EagleRJO said:

Yea, but he did trash everybody who thought it was a no/details grade due to issues, so a wash.

Yes, but in cases such as this  (a newly-minted member who spoke up for the first time six days later) we are constrained to recognize the faux pas for what it is,  beginner's exuberance and as such must apply, "Q's exemption," which provides, in pertinent part, "give the new guy a break, or risk alienating him for the duration." The OP's got a lot of spunk and I, for one, am not about to write him off. I would like to think the Chat Board is a place of second chances. IMNSHO.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

....But I also want to give credit where credit is due, the op did come back and update with the results.   Few ever do so.

This is key and speaks volumes as to character.  Very untroll-like behavior.

I realize many people see the kind of posts done by our OP as a sign of enthusiasm, and they don’t want to tamp that down. I sympathize but utterly disagree. They stem from an Internet over exuberance that newly minted would-be numismatists have a reasonable expectation that their coins compare favorably to the finest known specimens.  All that encourages is more of the same irrational exuberance. Truth and reality are cold instructors, but eminently necessary. Why? So that ANA Education Directors don’t have to spend every other month writing, “No, you don’t have what you think you have” articles. They need to do REAL education pieces, and the exuberance needs to be fed heavy diets of realism. This hobby is not some “get rich quick”  treasure hunter’s wet dream. That’s on the History Channel on Tuesday nights. 

Edited by VKurtB

🐓:  So much for your contrived "Q's exemption"!

Q.A.:  I daresay nothing escapes the notice and withering scrutiny of this chat board mainstay.  :roflmao: 

On 11/4/2022 at 9:07 PM, VKurtB said:

This hobby is not some “get rich quick”  treasure hunter’s wet dream. That’s on the History Channel on Tuesday nights. 

I will admit that as I contiue with this hobby I am starting to "treasure hunt" more for valuable coins that I am collecting, like certain VAM's for Morgans (e.g. "spitting" or "happy feather" eagles) and older half dollars (e.g. "ulgy 3's" and toned ones), as well as continuing to look for errors or varieties with pocket change and rolls, which I have been doing for a while.

I even have coin mats with most of the very rare errors or varieties printed on them for certain change or roll coins. But of course I have never "hit the jackpot" by finding a very rare and valuable coin, and that is not an expectation or primary reason for collecting the coins. I think the "problem" is with click-bait get rich quick vids. Most have no clue or are misleading, and are just trying to make money by maximizing views.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/4/2022 at 10:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

.... "hit the jackpot" ....

🐓:  Somebody say jackpot? And don't even think of trying to pull a disappearing act on me, Q.  The whole world is watching...

Q.A.:  Not at all. I got you Eagle, and everybody else covered. From A... to z.  (thumbsu

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Minor die polishing

On 11/4/2022 at 7:59 AM, J P M said:

A twenty year old paper roll is not very old if you think about it...2002 I have older rolls than that in my desk draw.

I wonder whether you, or any other member, has been "honored" with a non-paper, plastic sleeve roll whose internal pressure against the ends visibly guarantees the integrity of its contents.  If paper leaves a chemical signature, I'd be curious to know what, if anything,  this elastic plastic does to coins.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

I will admit that as I contiue with this hobby I am starting to "treasure hunt" more for valuable coins that I am collecting, like certain VAM's for Morgans (e.g. "spitting" or "happy feather" eagles) and older half dollars (e.g. "ulgy 3's" and toned ones), as well as continuing to look for errors or varieties with pocket change and rolls, which I have been doing for a while.

I even have coin mats with most of the very rare errors or varieties printed on them for certain change or roll coins. But of course I have never "hit the jackpot" by finding a very rare and valuable coin, and that is not an expectation or primary reason for collecting the coins. I think the "problem" is with click-bait get rich quick vids. Most have no clue or are misleading, and are just trying to make money by maximizing views.

I also look through my change for varieties and things. Im not expecting to get rich. I mostly do it for fun and for a pass time. Ive been at it a few years and Ive only found 1 true DDO cent. Its nothing valuable and special but still a fun find. Good coin flip coin. Also found a couple spitting eagle quarters. Found another die clash on a 1966 quarter thats pretty cool. Still nothing valuable. Just some fun coins for coin flips. I enjoy looking through my change. I pretty much know Im not gonna strike it rich. I laugh everytime I see those videos pop up. I actually completely quit clicking on them because most Ive seen is garbage. 

I most certainly agree that the Morgan of the OP has been artificially toned. It is grainy, no sheen, and questionable IMHO. The dime, well many people (including myself) have been fooled into a 42/1. There are machine doubling dimes that look like candidates. I know, I have one.

IMG-5903.jpg

IMG-5904.jpg

IMG-5907.JPG

IMG-5905.JPG

On 10/28/2022 at 3:30 AM, Harry’s Collection said:

I feel there seem more variations of the 1942/1 - D to be discovered.  After all it want till 1975 it was officially recognized. So TPG WERE wrong for decades & so I’m trying to prove my point is a new one A future update on that.

I don't think Harry ever updated this on the dime or the outcome with the challange to the NGC determination that the 1885 toning is questionable, or answered the questions posed about the rolls where the 1885 and 1886 came from.

Edited by EagleRJO