• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie to Newbie advice for this forum...

19 posts in this topic

I agree with your descriptive. I personally found that the majority of my initial questions had already been answered at some point, or a reference to another source given to seek the answers I thought I may have needed. I now jokingly refer to the collection I inherited as "BamPaw's Hoard" especially the looser ungraded items. Fortunately there seems to be an overall discipline to his collecting. My personal interest is more one of responsibility than of a great interest in actual collecting at this point..well except at times I do find myself up a little later than usual chasing a certain Coin that I've pulled from the hoard...hmm, but that's probably how it starts. While I certainly have respect for the graded gold and silver, sometimes its the little folded envelopes of obviously not so valuable coinage that catch my attention. One in particular with a scribbled note on it...something like, "Pawn Shop, Honolulu 1939." and a few worn Hawaiian coins inside. He was in the military, stationed in Hawaii pre and post Pearl Harbor. After couple of more decades or so of service he retired out of White Sands in New Mexico. Spent a few years there as an engineer both military and civil designing and testing missile systems. Parkinson's got him finally. But that's way off topic..Currently I am sorting through an ammo box of hand rolled clad Eisenhower Dollars all seemingly clad at this point. Next will be about 3/4of an ammo box of Franklin proofs, all in plastic holders (ungraded), but some of which, although obviously proof's, have the hairline scratches indicative of cleaning...which is a curiosity, since they look in every other aspect like proofs. At first review, there seems to be mostly 1962's. But there are also a "56" and "57" NGC graded 67 to use as a reference. I've not made a decision about what's after that yet...its still a learning experience at this point. I appreciate all of the reference and advice given in this forum, its been very helpful...

On 9/27/2022 at 8:47 PM, Liam ll said:

I agree with your descriptive. I personally found that the majority of my initial questions had already been answered at some point, or a reference to another source given to seek the answers I thought I may have needed.

We are a patient group. (thumbsu I don't think we'd have a problem if a newbie asked some questions on Saints or Morgans for which there were threads....it's easy to miss things or not find them.

But most/many of the newbies are here to tell us about some coin they found that they are sure is worth hundreds or thousands of dollars and 99.99% of them are not. xD

On 9/28/2022 at 9:25 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

But most/many of the newbies are here to tell us about some coin they found that they are sure is worth hundreds or thousands of dollars and 99.99% of them are not. xD

Which I'm fine with as long as they either accept the answer or shut up and submit it. If you (general you, not specifically you) really think you have a genuine 1804 silver dollar, you will hand carry it to the grading service and pay whatever it takes to get it slabbed. If you do not do that, we know that even you don't really believe the story, and are just trying to get people to bless your preconceived notions. That's the point at which I just drop the Ignore hammer. For me, Ignore is my cue to never again waste time on that person. Everyone insufficiently_cognitive gets put on it, not because I won't read their posts, but to remind me never to give them my time. Cast not one's pearls before swine.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:26 AM, Liam ll said:

I appreciate the response and have seen what you've mentioned also. Fortunately the majority of the Saints and Morgans I have have been graded and slabbed by NGC or PCGS. I'm currently working from the bottom up in understanding this collection I'm dealing with. My intent is to liquidate the less important items in order to have some of the ungraded gold authenticated and graded. I am fairly confident that at least the majority of it will fair well. I only have one Saint to be graded, and a Liberty $20. The rest are a mix of fives. tens, maple leafs and such. There should be paperwork with it all, the initial moving has some of it out of order. The collection is pretty eclectic, a lot of commemoratives, proofs etc. to sort through. Tonight was a journey through over a thousand Eisenhower's. There were only around 30 Saints, and not quite twice that in Morgans and a few Peace. Sure is easier to scan the bar codes and have the info at hand. Enough rambling, back to Bampaw's hoard...

IMG_0659.jpeg

Nice coins, Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you. Good luck 

Some notable exceptions:  I have an 1804 silver dollar in splendid condition. Not a mark on it. But it is doubly thick and weighs 2 ozs.  I have a St. Gaudens $20-dollar gold piece, but member RWB said the statute on the top of the Capitol building is facing the wrong way (not to mention it, too, is 2 oz of .999 silver.)  Last but not least, I have an 1857 Flying Eagle Cent in Mint State condition, beautiful antique finish with not a blemish on it anywhere, front or back, but its diameter is a little off: it measures exactly 3".  To the eternal consternation of card-carrying numismatists on this Forum, I refer to them as my small collection of authorized, legitimate counterfeits.  I have Fugio Cents, Continental dollars and a copper coin inscribed with a curious message:  the width of this coin equals the width of the copper skin on the "Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World."  That, my friend, is the official, formal name of Lady Liberty in New York harbor.  [I decline, dear reader, to get into a debate with you as to whether she stands within New York's waters or New Jersey's.]  Happy collecting!

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing: typos, etc.

That is an interesting collection of the counterfeits. I am hard pressed not to believe there's a few counterfeits in this pile.There is also a multitude foreign coinage in various states and wraps, rolls of older small U.S. coinage. it has been and will continue to be  an education. 

On 9/29/2022 at 2:26 AM, Liam ll said:

I appreciate the response and have seen what you've mentioned also. Fortunately the majority of the Saints and Morgans I have have been graded and slabbed by NGC or PCGS. I'm currently working from the bottom up in understanding this collection I'm dealing with. My intent is to liquidate the less important items in order to have some of the ungraded gold authenticated and graded. I am fairly confident that at least the majority of it will fair well. I only have one Saint to be graded, and a Liberty $20. The rest are a mix of fives. tens, maple leafs and such. There should be paperwork with it all, the initial moving has some of it out of order. The collection is pretty eclectic, a lot of commemoratives, proofs etc. to sort through. Tonight was a journey through over a thousand Eisenhower's. There were only around 30 Saints, and not quite twice that in Morgans and a few Peace. Sure is easier to scan the bar codes and have the info at hand. Enough rambling, back to Bampaw's hoard...

Looks like a WONDERFUL collection, congratulations ! (thumbsu

Can I ask how you came to acquire it ?

Here's a fun one this is a double headed penny a friend of mine found in change but it's not real it has cut marks along the rim and weighs an off weight. When my friend found out it wasn't real he offered it to me for a dollar and I couldn't resist. I just find it impressive that anyone could pull off a stunt like this. I posted the third pic so people can see the crack its on the right hand side and just under the rim. I know it's fake but who in their right mind would take the time to do precision work like this and then just throw it back into change? 

20221026_135126_HDR.jpg

20221026_135134_HDR.jpg

20221026_135303_HDR.jpg

@pigeonman333rd--Your "two headed" 1963 cent is what is known as a "magician's coin", as such pieces have been used to create illusions by magicians (or, in this case, to cheat someone who called "tails" on a wager).  I have a similar cent that has two reverses. You can see a seam running down the center of the edge where the two halves were joined together.

Please place your posts as either new topics or replies to related topics, instead of intruding into someone else's unrelated topic as you have done here and elsewhere!  (Your addition of an example of a "BIE" cent to my topic on these, however, was an example of an appropriate reply.)

Hey some one already told me go to the newbie page to post so I did. At least I thought this was the newbie page. If this is not the newbie page where do I post my latest coin finds or things I have recently purchased because this is just getting confusing. 

On 10/27/2022 at 5:36 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

Hey some one already told me go to the newbie page to post so I did. At least I thought this was the newbie page. If this is not the newbie page where do I post my latest coin finds or things I have recently purchased because this is just getting confusing. 

You are on the right page you just have to make a new topic. Just click the green box on the top right of the main page and make a new thread.

On 10/27/2022 at 4:36 AM, pigeonman333rd said:

It's easy. Just start your own new thread. 

Here we are again.., just reread all of this post...seriously have to say that I am far more "educated" regarding all of this than I was when first posting this...with a nod and sense of appreciation to those patient enough to guide me in the right directions...but...Pigeonman333rd...I don't have any idea about the questions you've posted in the threads I started, what I do notice is that the pics you post are on the same background, same scale etc., your first being of the Morgan you purchased for your father after working a second job to purchase it. I simply don't understand how someone who has been on this forum for as long as you have,  2018, has to ask the questions you have asked...You know to weigh a coin for authenticity...I didn't know that on my first post. you actually have a scale... I still don't....I call wildly_fanciful_statement...prove me wrong and I will let everyone know I was wrong...But until then...step away with the hustle.