• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 Quarter DDO Die Crack on Obverse
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2022 at 3:52 AM, schism said:

... planchet strike through edge rim error is the terminology that was given by the coin dealer. Many of you stated the impossibility of the errors on my coin. I was given picture example of such errors, which almost identical to my coin. I guess the coin dealer was giving me false information.

Yes, you were given or have false information. That error doesn't exist. If you post the pictures of these example errors, it may help in trying to figure out how you mistakenly believed the posted coin had errors. Although at this point with how you have reacted to people just trying to help you it may be a lost cause.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:39 AM, schism said:

Come to find out, it was an error coin. Not a single person suggested that it could possibly be an error coin. Another error quarter I posted was the same reply. I coin deal dealers or a coin dealers son gave me the error info and everyone on here stated  that the guy was uneducated and didn't know what he was talking about. some even called him a liar. you people need to be reported

I think you should submit it for authentication, if you absolutely want to know the truth and cannot feel comfortable any other way.  It is an expensive lesson, but sometimes the hardest-felt lessons resonate most. :flamed:

On 10/1/2022 at 3:08 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I think you should submit it for authentication, if you absolutely want to know the truth and cannot feel comfortable any other way.  It is an expensive lesson, but sometimes the hardest-felt lessons resonate most. :flamed:

I won’t ever go this far. Given a choice of upsetting somebody with the truth, or suggesting he blow his money on submitting a coin, I’ll go with upsetting him with the truth every time. DON’T DO IT! IT’S A WASTE OF TIME AND YOUR MONEY. THE DEALER YOU SPOKE WITH IS A DOPE!

On 10/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, VKurtB said:

I won’t ever go this far. Given a choice of upsetting somebody with the truth, or suggesting he blow his money on submitting a coin, I’ll go with upsetting him with the truth every time. DON’T DO IT! IT’S A WASTE OF TIME AND YOUR MONEY. THE DEALER YOU SPOKE WITH IS A DOPE!

I agree... total wast of money.  But, the OP is adamant, so let him learn the hard way.  The easy answer is already posted.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

The way things have been going if you tell them it isn't worth sending them to a grading company to verify the errors they will think you just don't want to be proven wrong. :insane:

I've said it many times. Those who honestly believe they are right won't sit around here trying to browbeat us into confirming their perceptions. They'll ignore us and send it in. Continued argument, therefore, is strong evidence that they know their perceptions are wrong and just don't care to admit it to themselves. Either way, after a certain point there is no point in talking to them--now or in the future.

I think the OP is long gone and thinking they are otw to coin error nirvana having already submitted the coin after triumphantly declaring almost a week ago that the mint doesnt inspect every coin for the mythical "planchet strike through edge rim error" and that everyone needed to be reported for not knowing that. 😜 

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/2/2022 at 7:26 AM, EagleRJO said:

I think the OP is long gone and thinking they are otw to coin error nirvana having already submitted the coin after triumphantly declaring almost a week ago that the mint doesnt inspect every coin for the mythical "planchet strike through edge rim error" and that everyone needed to be reported for not knowing that. 😜 

I have heard others say that they would report our findings.? To whom do they report us to ? I only offer my opinion and agree or disagree with other opinions. Is there a Black List somewhere with our names on it.(shrug)

it's not that I believe I'm right. I'm new to coin collecting. I understand that most of the coins I post will most likely be damaged coins. I assumed that if someone struck the edge of the coin there would be more damage done on the other end of the strike. 

If I can just strike the right balance between being reasonable and displaying chutzpah, I can bring myself to suggest something to you no one else on this thread has.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel as a young new collector you are wading through unseen rip currents in uncharted waters. Odd coins may be interesting, but as someone new to the hobby, you leave yourself wide open to practiced predators who have an edge on you.  Will you run to this Forum each and every time you encounter a questionable explanation for a coin whose basic minting mechanisms you do not understand?

I believe it best to understand common circulation coins and the production process first before moving onto more complex examples which I myself do not know the first thing about. Why? Because like anything else in life, I view errors, i.e., mistakes, as deficits or defects. Obviously, not everyone feels the same way, but those who don't hone up on this area of the hobby, some so much so, they are recognized and acclaimed for their expertise.

Learn first, then buy.  One thing to bear in mind I learned from a fellow member: you may have something scarce, or even unique----one-of-a-kind, but absent demand no significant value attaches. One more thing, as there are no chaperones available to guide you, stick to authorized dealers or well-known, reputable firms, with a proven track record of success as reflected in numismatic resources and reviews.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing: add one "letter."

On 10/2/2022 at 7:43 AM, J P M said:

....Is there a Black List somewhere with our names on it.(shrug)

[There is, but your name is not on it.]  :roflmao:  

On 10/12/2022 at 6:08 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[There is, but your name is not on it.]  :roflmao:  

Well that makes me feel better. Quintus has a good point schism. There is a ton of things to learn and a lifetime of collecting ahead. No need to rush take whatever advice you can get. Most of the members have been there and done that so there words count.

On 10/12/2022 at 6:33 PM, schism said:

Damn it eagle rjo. you have too much time on your hands sir. Don't you have any hobbies to occupy your time. You're more of a genius than expected. You're too smart for your own good. 

Yea, I really need to pick up a hobby like maybe coin collecting other than from rolls or pocket change to occupy some of my free time, and which would be a good fit with my background which includes sorting through glass milk jugs of circulated coins with my grandfather as a kid as well as a long and ongoing career in engineering and scientific forensics. :insane:

Edited by EagleRJO