• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1996 Quarter DDO Die Crack on Obverse
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Is this error coin worth more than 25c. I had a coin dealer take a look at this but I need another s opinion. from what I understand, the gauges are mint made errors.

Spoiler

CM220924-141501011.jpg

CM220924-141858017.jpg

CM220924-141827016.jpg

CM220924-142000018.jpg

CM220924-142309022.jpg

CM220924-142317023.jpg

Edited by schism
Wanted my most recent post separate from my last post.

I’m sure you mean gouges, not gauges.

I hope the coin dealer did not tell you they are an error, if he did I would not deal with him anymore. Those gouges are clearly damage that happened after the coin left the mint. Value 25 cents.

I only see common damage that happened to the coin while in circulation.   In your last picture I am guessing that you are trying to show the circular ring just inside the rim of the coin.   That is damage from a coin counting machine not any type of error and is fairly commonly mistaken as an error by many.   As already mentioned I would be cautious of this "dealer" who gave you advice on this coin.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to take better pics. so the gouges (yes I meant gouges), I'll try and give you the same explanation that I got from the coin dealer. I assumed the egde was damage. From what Ii was told, if someone or something post mint caused the edges, there would be damage somewhere in the other end of the edge or within that proximity. The error was caused by the what indents the reeds. Because if you observe the entire edge you'd see smoothing of the edge and a few other oddities on the edge meaning, whatever indents the reeds in the coin. I was given the the name of what puts those reeds ok on coins. Sorry forgot what the guys said that was called. I'm a total newb so I do apologize for the ignorance. The explanation made sense. Of course I'm a newb so It made a little sense. I'll send a few more quality pics. I'd like some feed back on the doubling and the die crack. Thanks again

On 9/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, schism said:

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to take better pics. so the gouges (yes I meant gouges), I'll try and give you the same explanation that I got from the coin dealer. I assumed the egde was damage. From what Ii was told, if someone or something post mint caused the edges, there would be damage somewhere in the other end of the edge or within that proximity. The error was caused by the what indents the reeds. Because if you observe the entire edge you'd see smoothing of the edge and a few other oddities on the edge meaning, whatever indents the reeds in the coin. I was given the the name of what puts those reeds ok on coins. Sorry forgot what the guys said that was called. I'm a total newb so I do apologize for the ignorance. The explanation made sense. Of course I'm a newb so It made a little sense. I'll send a few more quality pics. I'd like some feed back on the doubling and the die crack. Thanks again

Sorry, but there is no doubling or die cracks.  As has been said previously by knowledgeable collectors, the gouges are contact marks from circulation wear and damage, not errors.  NO NEED for more pics.  

Die cracks are raised on the surface of a coin, not recessed. 

The edge dents are damage, nothing more

Reeding is formed by the collar during striking. When the reeded edge of one coin hits another coin, it can leave a contact mark.  I don't see any marks like this on your coin. Regardless, they are considered damage, not errors

IN GOD WE TRUST is not doubled, it is due to die wear and not an error

Hope this helps

Right side of the obv does look like coin wrapper marks as Coinbuf noted, and the left side looks like vertical hits on the raised rim. The raised rim is there to protect the rest of the coin from wear and hits like the ones that coin appears to have taken. The heavier hit has a bulge on the obv at 8 o'clock with a matching indentation on the rev rim at 10 o'clock. I don't see any die cracks which are raised as Hoop noted, and even if present are considered part of the minting process as dies get damaged or polished and are not errors. Also looks like someone may have tried to clean up or polish the coin as there are random small marks all over the obv and rev, but maybe that is just really bad pics.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/25/2022 at 12:42 PM, schism said:

I see multiple types of damage on this coin but no sign of any sort of mint error. It’s a damaged quarter, full stop. 

On 9/25/2022 at 1:42 PM, schism said:

I was given the name of what puts those reeds ok on coins. Sorry forgot what the guys said that was called.

Collar or collar die, but it doesn't press on one side of the coin. It's like a donut which the blank presses up against all around the inside of the donut when a coin is struck. The US Mint has some good info and vids on how they make coins here ... Production Process | U.S. Mint (usmint.gov)

On 9/25/2022 at 5:16 PM, J P M said:

Sorry to say that dealer was pulling your leg.

Idk about that, since why would a dealer be punking a potential customer who will eventually find out the real deal with a coin. Wanting to be right is just human nature and the OP may have just misheard what they wanted to hear, but I guess it's possible the dealer has no idea what they are talking about.

Perhaps I should have said the dealer was incorrect ;) But I have had a dealer treat me like I had two heads. I wanted to buy 20 random date  ASE's and I was taking up there time looking at them with a loupe. My wife was with me and she saw things I missed because I was looking at coins. She was BS and said he was very rude and we would never buy there again. Needless to say that dealer missed out on a lot of Morgan and Nickels sales. So ya dealers can be rude at times.

Edited by J P M

I would not buy a coin from this dealer.  He seems like he is either uneducated in coins, or trying to take you for a ride... none are very good options.  This is a damaged quarter, nothing more.

Dealers can be rude, and you do not have to spend money with rude dealers.  You will have to decide if their material is worth their hassle.  99.99999% of the time, you can get what you need from another dealer.

I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the dealer as I have a feeling that @schism may have just misheard what they were being told being convinced the coin had errors worth something. I have gone down that rabbit hole in the past roll hunting quarters. Let's see what they say now that some good info and descriptions have been provided.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/25/2022 at 11:34 PM, EagleRJO said:

I guess it's possible the dealer has no idea what they are talking about.

It’s more than possible; it’s downright LIKELY. 

I am going to take the under on this one that additional details of what the dealer was saying will not be forthcoming even though proper terminology and descriptions for what was observed on the coin were provided, or the story is going to change to fit the narrative.

Edited by EagleRJO

like I stated, I'm a newb to coin collecting. I was under the assumption that questions are encouraged by newcomers. My lack of proper terminology is obviously due to the fact that new to coin collecting. I little help would be nice. planchet strike through edge rim error is the terminology that was given by the coin dealer. Many of you stated the impossibility of the errors on my coin. I was given picture example of such errors, which almost identical to my coin. I guess the coin dealer was giving me false information. 

I can not say if there is a error on this coin . I can say I don't think it left the mint looking like it does now. Someone or something has damaged it.

On 9/27/2022 at 4:01 AM, schism said:

to all that replied to my post: Can you please tell me what the error on this 1991 quarter?

A completely mangled coin, not an error, and please start a new thread for each individual coin. (thumbsu

What leads you believe that this is an error?

You guys post the same thing to newbies. Don't get me wrong, not everyone finds an error coin. I recently posted a pic of a strike through wheat cent. every reply was the same thing. Come to find out, it was an error coin. Not a single person suggested that it could possibly be an error coin. Another error quarter I posted was the same reply. I coin deal dealers or a coin dealers son gave me the error info and everyone on here stated  that the guy was uneducated and didn't know what he was talking about. some even called him a liar. you people need to be reported

On 9/20/2022 at 8:09 PM, DWLange said:

I believe that will qualify as "No FG" at NGC. Bear in mind, however, that such minor die states carry very little premium value.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:25 AM, schism said:

Explain why it isn't. 

Because it can't occur during the minting process.

A coin isn't an error because you CAN'T explain how the damage occurred.  A coin is an error because you CAN explain how it occurred during the minting process.  The simple answer to anyone who knows the minting process is that these are obviously damaged. 

People giving you answers are very knowledgeable of the minting process. Some have decades of collecting experience.  When all of these experienced collectors tell you the same thing, do you think they are just blowing smoke at you or messing with the new guy?  No, they are giving you factual info from years of experience to help you.

Sorry to sound rude, but the damage on both your coins should be obvious to even a new collector who has spent a minimal amount of time researching the minting process

Go to www.doubleddie.com and look at the tabs explaining how coins and dies are made. 

Or you can keep insinuating that multiple members on this site are messing with you and giving you inaccurate info, which is ABSOLUTELY false and a good way to end up on ignore lists 

Or, if you don't like the answers you're getting, work with your local coin dealer, or find another site that will give you the answers you want to hear.

Edited by Oldhoopster

On 9/27/2022 at 7:39 AM, schism said:

You guys post the same thing to newbies. Don't get me wrong, not everyone finds an error coin. I recently posted a pic of a strike through wheat cent. every reply was the same thing. Come to find out, it was an error coin. Not a single person suggested that it could possibly be an error coin. Another error quarter I posted was the same reply. I coin deal dealers or a coin dealers son gave me the error info and everyone on here stated  that the guy was uneducated and didn't know what he was talking about. some even called him a liar. you people need to be reported

The reason nobody suggested a strike through is that is because the 1948-D wheat cent you posted is just damaged and not a strike through.   But as you know more than anyone else I suggest that you submit your errors to NGC for authentication, that way you can throw some egg on our collective faces.   Otherwise you're just taking up bandwidth spewing nonsense, it will be an expensive lesson that you obviously need.

I'll assume that @schism is seriously attempting to obtain information about how to identify and attribute mint errors.  The website "www.error-ref.com" appears to have a comprehensive listing of various types of errors and die varieties, with photos.  @Oldhoopster has previously mentioned "www.doubleddie.com", which is authored by John Wexler, a recognized expert, although this site concentrates on die varieties and errors, not striking errors.  I recommend that @schism as a new collector also learn about U.S. coins more generally. To that end I recommend he refer to the books and online resources mentioned in the following post that I made on this forum: 

And ....... the under pays out. :insane:

It was only a matter of time before this thread went sideways with everyone berating what the "dealer" was saying about errors the coin supposedly had, and as expected the description of the "errors" by the "dealer" changed yet again to being the mythical "planchet strike through edge rim error", which naturally doesn't exist except in eBay listings that are trying to rip people off. You just can't make this stuff up. 😜 

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/27/2022 at 3:01 AM, schism said:

to all that replied to my post: Can you please tell me what the error on this 1991 quarter?

s-l400.jpg

No error at all. Not a planchet error, or anything else other than damage after it left the mint.