• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this coin worth resubmitting for a regrade?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

I can understand financially why you want to resubmit this coin, however looking at the photos (objectively) taken by NGC on the cert verification page I do not think that NGC will certify this as 5FS.   It seems to me that there are some issues with the 4th and 5th steps under the 2nd pillar, but I can only judge from the photos where you have the coin in hand.

Yours is an exquisite coin with a more than respectable grade. [None of my 🐓 graded that high.]  The steps appear to be intact as viewed from my perch, but my opinion, alas, does not count. I only have 50 years of collector experience.  :roflmao:

FWIW:  If the attribution sought translates into that humongous a dollar figure, it is quite understandable why our hosts would be finicky and picky as to whom they award the highly-coveted 5FS designation to.  [In order for me to make a definitive finding, I would have to whip out the Great 30-power Lense at least one member has quite vocally prohibited me from using.]

On 9/12/2022 at 12:58 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Yours is an exquisite coin with a more than respectable grade. [None of my 🐓 graded that high.]  The steps appear to be intact as viewed from my perch, but my opinion, alas, does not count. I only have 50 years of collector experience.  :roflmao:

FWIW:  If the attribution sought translates into that humongous a dollar figure, it is quite understandable why our hosts would be finicky and picky as to whom they award the highly-coveted 5FS designation to.  [In order for me to make a definitive finding, I would have to whip out the Great 30-power Lense at least one member has quite vocally prohibited me from using.]

Thanks for the assessment. I am definitely going to send it in for a regrade and hopefully get the 5fs. I will post an update when I get it back 

On 9/12/2022 at 3:07 PM, MatthewDM11 said:

Thanks for the assessment. I am definitely going to send it in for a regrade and hopefully get the 5fs. I will post an update when I get it back 

Ask them to tell you why it’s not a 5FS if it’s not. That should be very educational. 

I see that this slab is a -001 serial number, which means it MIGHT HAVE BEEN sent in solo. I can’t stress enough how bad an idea that is most of the time. The fixed costs of sending in a single coin are amazing. 

Edited by VKurtB

Another option is to bring it to a good local coin dealer familiar with those coins if there is one around you and have them look at the coin in hand to give you some feedback as having a coin in hand is worth a thousand pictures. ;)

On 9/13/2022 at 10:44 AM, MarkFeld said:

In other words, the prospect of a significant increase in value can cloud our objectivity about whether a coin deserved better. 

Reminds me of a recent thread on the CAC forum, you may recall it.   A member there was firmly convinced that his comm coin would get a gold bean, most who replied thought perhaps green but few or none saw it as a gold.   Turns out it received no bean at all.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:24 PM, VKurtB said:

Ask them to tell you why it’s not a 5FS if it’s not. That should be very educational.  

I don't know that they do that. When the High Court renders an opinion, that's it. There are no news conferences or late nite talk show appearances.  Just the decision seemingly engraved in stone.  🤔 

[For some time now, I have been seeing members trying to assist other members who post their coins with "helpful" feedback re "full steps," the latest being, "some small merging going on," and a reference to the "2nd pillar."

Gentleman, though I be woefully deficient in this specific area of knowledge, ol' Quintus, departing from my usual frivolity, has a valid and truly helpful suggestion to make: "Coin Week," in its Sept. 14, 2022 issue, focuses its attention on the "United States 1943-S Jefferson Nickel." For those inclined to broaden their knowledge on the various steps, a photo highlighting this phenomenon is provided, dividing the steps in 4 sections and assigning the formal terms used to refer to the Plinth, Stylobate, Steps and Foundation, with a note indicating the phenomenon is dependent on die condition, striking pressure and incidental contact with other coins. I believe this single source should enable interested members to proceed with confidence in describing exactly what it is they see by utilizing the precise numismatic terminology.

Gratuitous comment: never let it be said Q.A. has never made a useful numismatic contribution, in furtherance of the hobby.]  :golfclap:

On 9/16/2022 at 12:35 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[For some time now, I have been seeing members trying to assist other members who post their coins with "helpful" feedback re "full steps," the latest being, "some small merging going on," and a reference to the "2nd pillar."

Gentleman, though I be woefully deficient in this specific area of knowledge, ol' Quintus, departing from my usual frivolity, has a valid and truly helpful suggestion to make: "Coin Week," in its Sept. 14, 2022 issue, focuses its attention on the "United States 1943-S Jefferson Nickel." For those inclined to broaden their knowledge on the various steps, a photo highlighting this phenomenon is provided, dividing the steps in 4 sections and assigning the formal terms used to refer to the Plinth, Stylobate, Steps and Foundation, with a note indicating the phenomenon is dependent on die condition, striking pressure and incidental contact with other coins. I believe this single source should enable interested members to proceed with confidence in describing exactly what it is they see by utilizing the precise numismatic terminology.

Gratuitous comment: never let it be said Q.A. has never made a useful numismatic contribution, in furtherance of the hobby.]  :golfclap:

...helpful....

On 9/13/2022 at 1:44 PM, MarkFeld said:

My guess is that if a full steps example traded on par with a non full steps example, this thread wouldn't have been started. In other words, the prospect of a significant increase in value can cloud our objectivity about whether a coin deserved better. 

Your guess is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but. 🤔 

On 9/12/2022 at 4:07 PM, MatthewDM11 said:

[I am sorry you made a "commitment" to post an update when you get your submission back. I have been hounding a fellow member regarding an assertion he made for the past two years. There was a guy elsewhere who said he couldn't wait to get his back so he could throw it in our faces, but I am not allowed to talk about it. I will, however, hold you accountable.]   :baiting: :roflmao:

On 9/23/2022 at 6:57 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

[I am sorry you made a "commitment" to post an update when you get your submission back. I have been hounding a fellow member regarding an assertion he made for the past two years. There was a guy elsewhere who said he couldn't wait to get his back so he could throw it in our faces, but I am not allowed to talk about it. I will, however, hold you accountable.]   :baiting: :roflmao:

Hahaha I sent it in last week. NGC received it but it isn’t in my submission list yet. I will definitely give an update when I get it back.

On 9/23/2022 at 10:15 PM, MatthewDM11 said:

Hahaha I sent it in last week. NGC received it but it isn’t in my submission list yet. I will definitely give an update when I get it back.

You're a good sport!  I wish you luck!

Gentlemen, see my post dated September 16, 2022, upstairs, for a reference to a Coin World article which is arguably the last word on steptology:

"UNITED STATES 1943-S  JEFFERSON NICKEL, September 14, 2022."