• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do when your graded coins from NGC are lost by Fed EX

43 posts in this topic

Quit using PCGS due to wait times and a lost package. Switch to NGC and my very 1st package lost by FedEX!! Wow. Got quick times and great results on grades, was so excited and then this- just crazy- please give advice! - Thanks Jon

I'm sorry to hear that.  Perhaps ask your neighbors?

The last FedEx package I received (not from NGC) was delivered to my front step without even ringing the doorbell.  The "signature required" sticker and instructions were totally ignored.

Our Fed Ex man wont knock on the door or nothing. He just lays them on the steps and the dogs usually get them if we're not home to watch for him. My sons tux for the scholl prom got torn to shreds a couple years ago. 

On 8/26/2022 at 7:53 AM, Jon Randolph said:

Quit using PCGS due to wait times and a lost package. Switch to NGC and my very 1st package lost by FedEX!! Wow. Got quick times and great results on grades, was so excited and then this- just crazy- please give advice! - Thanks Jon

When did NGC switch to Fedex? Mine are always sent via registered mail through the post office.

Only recourse would be to file a claim with Fedex?

It sounds like you’re saying that NGC shipped your order to you via FedEx. If that’s the case, as the sender, NGC is the one to file the claim - in their case, with their private insurance carrier. You should have already been in contact with NGC about this.

I have contacted them, was told the claims department would contact me in 2 days? Crickets!! I’ve heard nothing- very disappointed so I’m going to get my attorney to seek damages I guess. Sad, can’t stand PCGS and came here- very 1st group and lost?? 

If I ever submit again I will be requesting that FedEx is not allowed to touch my coins at any time. My FedEx delivery guy thinks any house in the same zip code is close enough to throw it in the driveway and mark it as delivered.

On 9/3/2022 at 2:51 PM, AdamWL said:

If I ever submit again I will be requesting that FedEx is not allowed to touch my coins at any time. My FedEx delivery guy thinks any house in the same zip code is close enough to throw it in the driveway and mark it as delivered.

FedEx is now the default NGC shipping method. It seems Registered Mail is no longer a NGC option. Companies change hands and policies change. 

On 9/3/2022 at 5:18 PM, VKurtB said:

FedEx is now the default NGC shipping method. It seems Registered Mail is no longer a NGC option. Companies change hands and policies change. 

I read that a while back. I was/am hoping I might be able to request anything BUT FedEx if I speak to a human on the phone about it. If not, NGC will not be an option for me, which sucks because I like NGC. But FedEx's rate of marking my packages delivered without actually delivering them is just shy of 100%. I even filed a complaint through Better Business Bureau, which is the only thing that finally got a human from FedEx on the phone. I haven't tested the waters with them since then, but I don't have any faith in FedEx.

On 9/3/2022 at 6:18 PM, VKurtB said:

...correct, the NGC rep at the ANA in chicago told me the same thing...reason , the excessive delay times n slow delivery on USPS registered mail was the reason....

On 9/3/2022 at 8:23 AM, Jon Randolph said:

I have contacted them, was told the claims department would contact me in 2 days? Crickets!! I’ve heard nothing- very disappointed so I’m going to get my attorney to seek damages I guess. Sad, can’t stand PCGS and came here- very 1st group and lost?? 

So contact them again and try to be patient and civil. The fact that you’re already talking about seeking damages through an attorney, gives an indication that you’re being far from patient or understanding.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:01 AM, MarkFeld said:

So contact them again and try to be patient and civil. The fact that you’re already talking about seeking damages through an attorney, gives an indication that you’re being far from patient or understanding.

In the rare event that a return shipment cannot be located, please contact NGC Customer Service at Service@NGCcoin.com or 800-NGC-COIN (642-2646). To make a claim, FedEx will require your tracking/PRO number and completion of the online claim form. Then follow the rest of the easy 5-step process. 

Based on this from the NGC site, the onus seems to be on the customer.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Looking at the current generation of NGC submission form I see that USPS remains at option, but does not include insurance now. You may use USPS Express Mail, but you must have your own Express Mail account with USPS. I do not know the reason for this change.

On 9/4/2022 at 10:01 AM, DWLange said:

Looking at the current generation of NGC submission form I see that USPS remains at option, but does not included insurance now. You may use USPS Express Mail, but you must have your own Express Mail account with USPS. I do not know the reason for this change.

When I submitted coins at Summer FUN, I was told that Registered Mail is no longer an option. Yes, Express Mail is an option, but as you said, the customer must have his own account. 

So some are confusing my frustration with blaming NGC- wrong.. I’m firmly blaming FedEx NOT NGC!! Very happy with how fast they were and the grades. My frustration is I quit PCGS to wait times and lost shipping. As stated my 1st submission to NGC is lost and these were not average coins guys. I am trying to be patient and trusting someone will contact me as promised. Thanks for all the info and input

On 9/3/2022 at 8:11 PM, zadok said:

...correct, the NGC rep at the ANA in chicago told me the same thing...reason , the excessive delay times n slow delivery on USPS registered mail was the reason....

Part of the problem may have been delays in recieving and shipping, just not sure. Last few times I sent registered USPS packages to Sarasota it took 10 to 15 days for them to post, then about the same on the way back. Irvine Ca. and Bedminster N.J. only about a week. Slow Florida registered mail has long been a slow boat.

I regret to say I do something that borders on the illogical. Much like the guy who won a multi-million dollar lottery jackpot, and tossed his winning ticket in an ordinary envelope mailed with a standard first-class stamp, I do much the same. I answer all the questions the nice lady at the post office asks me, deny the package or parcel I am sending has any value, and have had a 100% success rate. Sometimes that comes with a tracking number, a double-plus. The advice from other members here is sound. You are understandably upset. I would exercise patience. My feeling is everything will work out in the end. You are conversing with members who've been through it all and have ample experience in such matters. I wish you the best of luck!

I don't have a lot of FedEx experience, but I did buy a set of 4 tires this Summer that were shipped through them. Of course, the tires were shipped together, and I kept getting emails from FedEx, keeping me updated. Well, I met the truck that afternoon, and out came 3 tires. "Just three ?" I ask the driver......"It's the FedEx way", he says......The fourth tire was lost.......They were pretty quick to confirm it though, within a few days. Confirm that it was lost, I mean.

Edited by thebeav

On 9/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, AdamWL said:

My FedEx delivery guy thinks any house in the same zip code is close enough to throw it in the driveway and mark it as delivered.

My house is set back 200+ feet from the street. FedEx kept leaving packages behind the driveway entry wall, which could be seen by people walking by, and were stolen too often. I finally had a custom sign made saying don't leave packages here, delivery them to the front door. I now get FedEx packages left directly under this sign.

I once saw the FedEx guy leave a package under the sign. I went up to him and asked what I needed to do to get packages delivered to my front door so they don't get stolen. He smiled and waved at me and got in his truck and left without saying a word. 

They also like to deliver my packages to a house with the same number a few blocks away. One night a lady came to my door and handed me a package. She wanted to introduce herself as she said that this was the 3rd or 4th package of mine that was misdelivered to her over the last couple of weeks.

F*** FedEx! 

On 9/9/2022 at 11:08 PM, VKurtB said:

Note to NGC: you may need to rethink this FedEx decision. It’s going to cost you customers apparently. FedEx works for me, but it appears their drivers don’t provide the service people pay for in many cases. At a previous address I had to use only Post Office boxes. You’ve made a horrible decision, NGC. 

...agree, fedex has a very spotty record on delivery protocol, it has deteriorated exponentially following the pandemic, the leaving of packages at the end of ur driveway or as close to the road as possible has now become the norm even though the safe distancing no longer applies, shortcuts n as little effort as possible is the new norm...the most scary part is the not getting signatures when required, the days of drivers signing for u r now universal...i have two residences in the same city the one i normally use is virtually impossible to get accurate deliveries, the fedex drivers leave my packages next door 90% of the time, i even put up a sign with an arrow pointing to my house with the correct address at my neighbors house, result they left sticky notes saying undeliverable...i now have all packages delivered to my other residence, result left on the front steps not mailbox on porch n still no signatures requested...the most reliable here is dhl but dont believe ngc uses them....

I think lost packages is a potential issue with any delivery method. I just had my first lost package with 6 nice coins worth quite a lot lost that were sent via USPS Priority Mail. It's insured, but man what a hassle and letdown when I was dripping with anticipation of getting these coins in hand ... literally since they were raw. I told the CS rep apparently is wasn't a "Priority" getting the package to me.

I just realized I have not experienced any delivery debacle because I live in New York, a crowded city. [So, "what's the sto-ry Mau-ry?] Well, delivery here is an interactive, collective effort. A sticker advising the recipient to re-schedule the delivery--or pick the parcel up at a local office, is usually a last resort where creative thinking has failed. Delivery services have options: informing you the package was left with a neighbor, or, if a business, the business next door, and advising you accordingly, in a brief note.

YEAH, BUT WEREN'T YOU THE SAME GUY WHOSE OVERSEAS PACKAGE WAS DETAINED AT EWR?

I am.  But that is not germane to this comment. That was a kidnapping for ransom. Rightly or wrongly, I paid it, CBP was gratified--and FedEx promptly billed me $33. I did not ask them to itemize.

The best suggestion I can make is, using a bold black marker, make a sign and tape it to your door--(No, pencil will not do)--explaining briefly, to whom or to what business, you wish to have the package directed: Next door, Up a flight, Across the street, etc., and leave your name and number.

For argument's sake, let's say FedEx has lowered their hiring requirements and I [Q.A.] am a FedEx delivery man. Put yourself in my shoes. No one answers my knock or bell. I need a signature. What do you want me to do? A sign taped to your door or house will let me know.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Die polishing, Grammar, spelling, punctuation.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

I just realized I have not experienced any delivery debacle because I live in New York, a crowded city. [So, "what's the sto-ry Mau-ry?] Well, delivery here is an interactive, collective effort. A sticker advising the recipient to re-schedule the delivery--or pick the parcel up at a local office, is usually a last resort where creative thinking has failed. Delivery services have options: informing you the package was left with a neighbor, or, if a business, the business next door, and advising you accordingly, in a brief note.

I am.  But that is not germane to this comment. That was a kidnapping for ransom. Rightly or wrongly, I paid it, CBP was gratified--and FedEx promptly billed me $33. I did not ask them to itemize.

The best suggestion I can make is, using a bold black marker, make a sign and tape it to your door--(No, pencil will not do)--explaining briefly, to whom or to what business, you wish to have the package directed: Next door, Up a flight, Across the street, etc., and leave your name and number.

For argument's sake, let's say FedEx has lowered their hiring requirements and I [Q.A.] am a FedEx delivery man. Put yourself in my shoes. No one answers my knock or bell. I need a signature. What do you want me to do? A sign taped to your door or house will let me know.

But that doesn't help if they never go to your door.  As many have said, packages get left at the end of the driveway or mailbox, especially if you live in a rural area.  At my house, I hear them just toss it on the steps, with no effort to ring the doorbell, even if the signature is required.

Not everybody lives in an urban area or with nearby neighbors.

On 9/10/2022 at 10:32 AM, Quintus Arrius said:

...the point is...signature required means just that a required signature n not from ur neighbor, ur signature....

I live in the absolute optimal situation for proper FedEx service - a virtually crime-free small town in a single family home that is just 25 feet off a very lightly traveled street. The FedEx (or UPS or USPS) stops the truck in the street, hops out, and brings packages right to my front door and rings the doorbell. (Unless I’m already sitting on the front porch.) And my neighbors are all friends and we look out for one another. You know, Mayberry style Conservative nirvana. And the fastest Internet I’ve ever had anywhere I’ve ever lived. 

Edited by VKurtB

As I said before, FedEx will mark a package delivered without ever even entering my neighborhood. Same zip code is good enough for them.

My brother who lives in a different town 45 minutes away says random unmarked vehicles go through their circle drive and chuck the boxes about 12+ feet onto the front porch and then speed away.... FedEx packages lol

I would actually prefer that to the service (Or complete lack thereof) that I get from FedEx.

I think the bottom line in all of this is NGC should recognize a customer who has a lost shipment issue and needs help. They should be bending over backwards to help out because NGC specifies that Fedex is the only service they will use to ship. 

I have no idea why they would institute such a policy unless they get a discount on the shipping fees, thus making money by using one shipping service. The company I retired from outside of Philadelphia got shipping and freight discounts on anything coming in or going out, including Fedxex.

They should allow the customer to pick whichever shipping service one prefers. After all, the customer IS the one paying for the shipping. Their policy essentially says if a return shipment gets lost, the customer is on his own. This is a horrible policy period. I for one will not submit anymore coins to NGC until this is corrected. Granted I am not a major customer, but I have always been loyal to NGC on all coins for TGP.