• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parking Lot Coins
2 2

43 posts in this topic

On 8/15/2022 at 6:43 PM, EagleRJO said:

Nice! Are those your actual finds? You def have some "ugly" winners. 😉

Yes, I own a vending machine company so I see a few "oddities" now and then like the confetti nickel.   But most of those I actually did find on the ground, the dime is the weak link so far, that one looks much too good for the set.   I'm still on the hunt for a "better" dime and of course the half and dollar, just a fun set to keep the juices flowing. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

... the dime is the weak link so far, that one looks much too good for the set.

Yea, I think you need to "improve" on the dime in the set. :grin:

Btw, I posted all small date or error pennies worth thousands ... you guys just haven't realized it yet. :whistle:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/16/2022 at 8:32 PM, EagleRJO said:

I think you have either the "bad" or "ugly" parking lot dime winner so far. ^^

Well, I guess the idea isn't as original as I initially thought.  But I wasn't on the board then, and I came up with the short set idea and super catchy set name of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly". Now where is that pat yourself on the back emoji. :grin:

People forget, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I for one, think it's a great idea, old, and new. I hope the dime makes the final cut :wink:

On 8/16/2022 at 11:51 PM, EagleRJO said:

I think that's a good candidate for a finalist in the "Bad" Nickel category. :grin:

Looks like we may have to select a 3-person panel of "Parking Lot Coin Experts" to judge these.  I vote for Coinbuf to be one since he has the OG parking lot set, and CoinJockey73 since all he collects are parking lot coins [duck ... totally kidding]. ;)

I certainly appreciate the nod, but I'm in no way qualified to judge anything. And i take zero offense in saying i collect parking lot coins, i do! But I've also found some sweet stuff, too! Life is full of these highs and lows. Very few creamy middles. Enjoy the day, everyone! 

Edited by CoinJockey73

On 8/15/2022 at 11:19 PM, Coinbuf said:

Yes, I own a vending machine company so I see a few "oddities" now and then like the confetti nickel.   But most of those I actually did find on the ground, the dime is the weak link so far, that one looks much too good for the set.   I'm still on the hunt for a "better" dime and of course the half and dollar, just a fun set to keep the juices flowing. 

I can easily replace that dime for you, if you'd like. It'll be clad though, sorry. Just pm me your address and I'll drop one in the mail. It may take a day or two to find the right one, but I'll get one out to you. Have a nice day :bigsmile:

On 8/17/2022 at 4:33 AM, CoinJockey73 said:

Pics 1 & 2 i thought, meh, I've seen worse, then pic 3. You're in! 

Yea, pic 3 sealed the deal for me too. ^^

And I so want to scoop the attached road rash coin from eBay to be a finalist in the $1 "BAD" category. :whatthe:  Then again, it would get disqualified for not having been found it in a parking lot. :insane:

Parking Lot Coin - $1 Coin BAD Winner.jpg

Okay, here is my next 3-coin addition to the road rashed "Good, Bad and Ugly" Parking Lot Coin Set with 1964(P), 2014-P and 1916(P) DDO nickels ... 

I am still working on dimes and quarters (have one or 2 "winners") but have not found ANY half dollar or dollar coins.  I think those are gonna be tough and take some time.

Parking Lot Coin Set 02 Nickels - Road Rash Good Bad Ugly 1964(P) 2014-P 1916(P) DDO.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/25/2022 at 3:08 PM, EagleRJO said:

Okay, here is my next 3-coin addition to the road rashed "Good, Bad and Ugly" Parking Lot Coin Set with 1964(P), 2014-P and 1916(P) DDO ... 

I am still working on dimes and quarters but have not found ANY half dollar or dollar coins.  I think those are gonna be tough and take some time.

Parking Lot Coin Set 02 Nickels - Road Rash Good Bad Ugly 1964(P) 2014-P 1916(P) DDO.jpg

What's the date on the one all the way to the right? You have quite a few parking lot nickels in your neighborhood! 

On 8/25/2022 at 6:06 PM, CoinJockey73 said:

What's the date on the one all the way to the right?

1916 from under the scope, no visible mint mark I could see.

On 8/25/2022 at 7:51 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Found these while jogging

Man, why can't I find quarters like that? Some ppl have all the luck! 😉

On 8/25/2022 at 9:53 PM, EagleRJO said:

1916 from under the scope, no visible mint mark I could see.

The Indian is facing the wrong way.  :whatthe:

On 8/26/2022 at 12:02 AM, Just Bob said:

The Indian is facing the wrong way.  :whatthe:

Well, somebody picked it up that I was just kidding with it being a 1916(P) DDO, as that would be a rare find [$5,000 for G4]. :grin:

I think CoinJockey had a little idea when he did a double take on the date posted.  The date is actually totally obliterated and unreadable. ;) 

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/15/2022 at 10:13 PM, Phil1955 said:

what if that parking lot coin was say a 1982 sml date copper  what then 

It’s amazing how many SUPPOSED 1982-D small date copper cents are road rash / parking lot coins. It’s like someone took hundreds of them and spread them on streets and byways. 

On 8/25/2022 at 6:51 PM, Oldhoopster said:

Found these while jogging

IMG_0129_kindlephoto-872322895.thumb.jpg.a5ee706bf8f561f55cf3a989b2cd0ff0.jpg

The phasers were clearly set on “kill”. 

On 8/26/2022 at 7:03 PM, VKurtB said:
On 8/15/2022 at 11:13 PM, Phil1955 said:

It’s amazing how many SUPPOSED 1982-D small date copper cents are road rash / parking lot coins.

Or hidden is bank bags of pennies like these at 3x face value, $110 mark-up, plus shipping. 😉

Screenshot_20220826-201025_Samsung Internet.jpg