• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to price coins for a quick sale
2 2

23 posts in this topic

I just found out my sons student loans arent going to cover his tuition and price of his books for college this year completely. I need to make $600 in 2 weeks time. I would have had it if I wouldnt have been rained out today and its looking like tomorrow also. Maybe the rest of the week. Ive never sold any coins before. I picked out a few that wouldnt break my heart to lose as bad. And ones that would most likely sell quicker. Ive looked at prices on EBAY and they differ so much I dont know what to ask for them. So my questions are:

To sell quickly do I ask a lower price than all the ones Ive seen? I hate to take a loss but Im in a desperate situation. Also where should I try and sell them? Should I post on the market place on this forum? I was thinking about EBAY but how quick does it take to get your money from them? Also paying the sellers fee will it be worth trying there?  Ive been brainstorming all morning trying to figure out how to go about it. Would love to hear from experienced sellers on how to make a quick sale without taking a complete loss. Thank you my friends for any input. 

Here are a few of the ones Im going to try and sell. Are these coins that will sell fast?  I dont know what is hot in the market right now.  The Pride of two Nations set are in a very nice case I bought to keep them in. Should I keep them together or break them apart if someone just wants one of them? I really hate to break the two up. The COA fit nicely in the case also. 20220726_124756.thumb.jpg.eac832a27a08e5969863cc5d824209d2.jpg

It never hurts to start a thread on these in the marketplace, however there are not very many eyeballs to see them here.    Ebay has lots of eyeballs, just be sure to account for all the fees if you list them there.    I am no help on the pricing as I don't follow or collect any of those items.

For the NCLT, check completed sales on eBay and price near it.  To sell quick, you can use "Buy It Now" if listing on eBay but I would also list it here or any other coin forum you frequent.   To complete a "Buy It Now" purchase, the buyer must make immediate payment.

If you are selling on eBay, you'll need to link use your Paypal account or link your bank account to eBay's payment option.  I haven't sold on eBay in several years and don't think I have sold anything since they introduced it.

If you think this will be enough, I'd limit it to that, but I don't buy or sell what you collect, so I may be wrong about that.  You shouldn't have a problem selling silver Washington quarters, but it will take longer unless you discount it more or use a true auction.

Dayum! I am at a disadvantage in timing. Cash is tight right now, but in 30-45 days I should be in the condition that cash will never be tight again. (Uncle’s will.) I’d be all over that 1940 proof quarter. 

It's hard to predict how long a coin will sit on a buy it now listing on ebay

A 7-day auction could be a good way to go. But you never know what the outcome is going to be. You'd probably want to set a reserve so someone doesn't get too much of a "steal" on them. Only problem there is you could end up with nothing after a 7 day wait if the reserve isn't met.

hey hoghead, just checked prices on ebay, 1940 WQ only one on ebay  buy it now price $135, 2 nations set lots of them, cheapest at $275 and the bald eagle cheapest at $65. Remember that ebay charges 12% on total sale and to sell fast you must be lower than these prices.

On 7/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, jimbo27 said:

hey hoghead, just checked prices on ebay, 1940 WQ only one on ebay  buy it now price $135, 2 nations set lots of them, cheapest at $275 and the bald eagle cheapest at $65. Remember that ebay charges 12% on total sale and to sell fast you must be lower than these prices.

I suggest checking recently completed sales, too, as they might be far more indicative of actual values.

Edited by MarkFeld

Thank you all for the replies. I called earlier and they said I have till the 22nd of August to come up with the tuition money. Wish they would have sent a letter earlier that said his student loans wouldnt cover the whole thing instead of waiting till the last minute.  I may be able to come up with something by then. I really really dont want to let my coins go but may have to. Figured Id think on it another day or two. But I do have to come up with some money to order his books by this weekend. So they come in before he starts in a very few days. His books are gonna be $400.  He has $220 of it saved up already. I got a little bit of scrap iron I can try and haul off if I get raind out tomorrow. Also I hate to be late on paying bills but I have one I can probably let slide for a few days. 

It looks like its hard to sell coins in a hurry without taking a big loss. If I have to sell them by tuition time ill try post them on EBAY a little earlier. Hopefully we will get out of all this non scale work soon. Seems like I get 3 crappy checks for every good check I get. Been a struggle this month. I really do thank all of you all for the replies and advice. It is much apriceated. 

On 7/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, AdamWL said:

A 7-day auction could be a good way to go. But you never know what the outcome is going to be. You'd probably want to set a reserve so someone doesn't get too much of a "steal" on them. Only problem there is you could end up with nothing after a 7 day wait if the reserve isn't met.

That is exactly what happened to me.  After 30-some-odd bids spaced over seven days (with no  bids made over two days) I was outbidded by two dollars, and change. Apparently, someone wanted it really badly.  I never allowed that to happen again.

On 7/26/2022 at 6:56 PM, AdamWL said:

Be careful setting reserves.  You pay a fee for that based on the reserve price you set.  Much better off setting the starting bid at a price you are comfortable selling at, and hope a few people really want the coin.  

Cac would probably be interested in buying the proof quarter since it has their sticker, you could call them.

This is one of the slowest times of year to sell coins.  Personally I would look at paying for the books with a credit card or getting them used, which I used to do in college.

A coin club member asked me to sell some certified Moderns, it has taken months to get him near market value on ebay.   Auctions on ebay are a loser, I would recommend buy it now with offers.  

The buy sell trade forum on PCGS forum is good.

Never, ever run valuable coins on ebay with zero reserve or reserves significantly under value unless you have 30 or more regular buyers and followers, you will be taken to the cleaners!!  I can give you a lot of examples of that.

Edited by Nutmeg Coin

On 7/28/2022 at 11:03 AM, Nutmeg Coin said:

Cac would probably be interested in buying the proof quarter since it has their sticker, you could call them.

This is one of the slowest times of year to sell coins.  Personally I would look at paying for the books with a credit card or getting them used, which I used to do in college.

A coin club member asked me to sell some certified Moderns, it has taken months to get him near market value on ebay.   Auctions on ebay are a loser, I would recommend buy it now with offers.  

The buy sell trade forum on PCGS forum is good.

Never, ever run valuable coins on ebay with zero reserve or reserves significantly under value unless you have 30 or more regular buyers and followers, you will be taken to the cleaners!!  I can give you a lot of examples of that.

Just because the quarter was stickered by CAC doesn’t mean they’d have any interest in buying it. They sticker coins when they feel it’s deserved, not because they’d like to buy them. And I’ve never seen CAC post bids on that type and grade of coin. 
The above doesn’t mean that they wouldn’t buy it, but it’s incorrect to think they’d be interested in doing so, just because they stickered it.

On 7/28/2022 at 12:03 PM, Nutmeg Coin said:

Never, ever run valuable coins on ebay with zero reserve or reserves significantly under value unless you have 30 or more regular buyers and followers, you will be taken to the cleaners!!  I can give you a lot of examples of that

My experience with eBay is that it was much over a decade ago.  Part of it was the lower fees, but the prevalence of fixed price listings indicates that liquidity for most coins must not be that good either.

[Here was my strategy with eBay when I used to collect raw.

Firstly, cut to the chase. Jump right up to current melt, then sit back and watch.

Next, jump right up to what should be 70% of the appropriate selling price.

Finally, things will have quieted down enough to know who the real contenders are.  I always felt sorry for them because I already knew who the winner was the moment I laid eyes on the merchandise.]   😉 

I would keep the pride set together.  Sell it as a set, and I think most buyers would want it that way.

Here is the Greysheet Pricing:

• 1940 Proof PF65(CAC) - 
    • Greysheet bid = $126
    • CDN Retail = $164
  • 2019 Pride of Two Nations (set) PF70 - 
    • Greysheet Bid = $160 
    • CDN Retail = $208
  • 2008 Bald Eagle Commemortive Dollar PF70
    • Greysheet Bid = $75 
    • CDN Retail = $101
Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist
1940 should have said PF - the rest is correct

On 7/26/2022 at 8:11 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I just found out my sons student loans arent going to cover his tuition and price of his books for college this year completely. I need to make $600 in 2 weeks time. 

That's so sad to hear. Don't you have any other opportunities to get this money? Education is a great but so expensive thing. As a student, I spend my money only on food and for this source https://paperap.com/how-to-write-a-research-summary/ sometimes (I get their help with my writing tasks when I'm so busy or tired). I hope you'll fix this problem and will never sell your beautiful coins because of it.

Edited by cletchfootman

On 8/12/2022 at 3:31 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I had a really good friend help me out. I also been hauling some scrap metal and doing some side work. Doing mechanic work. 

I've been through that pain and others are so right, don't sell that quarter. Just put it away and forget about it; you'll be glad you did. Should be other ways such as rental books (if you're lucky). How about a loan through your employer or are you self employed ?

On 7/26/2022 at 8:11 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I just found out my sons student loans arent going to cover his tuition and price of his books for college this year completely. I need to make $600 in 2 weeks time. I would have had it if I wouldnt have been rained out today and its looking like tomorrow also. Maybe the rest of the week. Ive never sold any coins before. I picked out a few that wouldnt break my heart to lose as bad. And ones that would most likely sell quicker. Ive looked at prices on EBAY and they differ so much I dont know what to ask for them. So my questions are:

To sell quickly do I ask a lower price than all the ones Ive seen? I hate to take a loss but Im in a desperate situation. Also where should I try and sell them? Should I post on the market place on this forum? I was thinking about EBAY but how quick does it take to get your money from them? Also paying the sellers fee will it be worth trying there?  Ive been brainstorming all morning trying to figure out how to go about it. Would love to hear from experienced sellers on how to make a quick sale without taking a complete loss. Thank you my friends for any input. 

Here are a few of the ones Im going to try and sell. Are these coins that will sell fast?  I dont know what is hot in the market right now.  The Pride of two Nations set are in a very nice case I bought to keep them in. Should I keep them together or break them apart if someone just wants one of them? I really hate to break the two up. The COA fit nicely in the case also. 20220726_124756.thumb.jpg.eac832a27a08e5969863cc5d824209d2.jpg

Studying in college can be both beneficial and challenging. On one hand, it provides an opportunity to acquire knowledge, skills, and experiences that can enhance one's personal and professional growth. On the other hand, it can also be a source of stress, pressure, and anxiety, especially when juggling multiple responsibilities such as coursework, extracurricular activities, and part-time jobs. Nevertheless, with proper support and resources, students can overcome these difficulties and make the most out of their college experience. For instance, one way to manage stress and maintain good mental health is by writing health essays. If you need inspiration, check out this link https://essaylab.com/blog-health-essays for some helpful tips and ideas.

Thank you for topic!

Edited by Linda_Latch

On 7/26/2022 at 6:43 PM, MarkFeld said:

....The worst time to sell tends to be when you’re in a big hurry, like you are.

As valid an observation today, well into the New Year, as the day it was written.  And, if I may add, its counterpart holds true as well:  the worst time to buy also tends to be when you're in a big hurry. That's why collectors are urged to do their due diligence.  This cannot be stressed often enough.