Coin Collecting Ideas Welcome
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I am looking for some suggestions on sets to collect which could be fun but not too much money.

I am already working on a complete Morgan and ASE collection, and have gotten a handful of nice gold coins I liked, so Im really looking for something that's more just for the enjoyment, and not likely to use up significant funds I want to put into my other collections.

I was thinking about US Half Dollars or maybe Quarters. I actually have some rolls of older half dollars i havent gone through, and a while back me and my kids all collected the 50 State quarters which are around somewhere. Not really interested in collecting smaller demoninations/coins like pennys/nickels/dimes which I know some do. And maybe get a book to fill instead of slabbing/grading them like my other coins.

I remember my mom had a book of common coins to collect, and she used to rummage through everybody's change and rolls of coins to try and find certain ones.  So, I'm thinking of something like that, maybe that I can do with my kids also even though they are older now.

Edited by EagleRJO
Typos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quarters a a good set, but there’s a lot of them. And the pre ear coins are pricey. National park quarters in proof are easily found, State quarters are also pretty easy to get. I decided to focus on Ben Franklins. Specifically a full set of 1949-1963 MS64 FBL. Prices for BF are all over right now . Walking Liberties are great to collect.

nickels are fun too look for full steps.

hope this gives you a few ideas and welcome to the forum

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you wanted to try your hand a putting together a set of halves you could go wit hthe Franklin series.  it is fun and can be accomploshed without laying out a lot of money.  if you want to look at modenrnseries you can get into Ikes, SBAs  both of these can be put together pretty easily.  if yo are wanting something a little more challenging you could go for the Walking liberty short set..  this is pretty fun putting together and can be challenging to get them to match.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I might go with just modern quarters which my kids and I could collect at first by just going through pocket change and rolls. And we already have the state quarters somewhere to jump start that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 6:39 AM, JT2 said:

if you wanted to try your hand a putting together a set of halves you could go wit hthe Franklin series.  it is fun and can be accomploshed without laying out a lot of money.  if you want to look at modenrnseries you can get into Ikes, SBAs  both of these can be put together pretty easily.  if yo are wanting something a little more challenging you could go for the Walking liberty short set..  this is pretty fun putting together and can be challenging to get them to match.  

JT2, I just completed my D Ben Franklin Set all MS64 FBL. Got the 1962 today, had the 63 in MS64 FBL and PF66, also the 51,57,59 Raw. Average paid for all of them $49.64 each

 

IMG-4913.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 1:25 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

JT2, I just completed my D Ben Franklin Set all MS64 FBL. Got the 1962 today, had the 63 in MS64 FBL and PF66, also the 51,57,59 Raw. Average paid for all of them $49.64 each

 

IMG-4913.jpg

Nice!  Why have the ones you slabbed in the thin film bags? I started doing that, and have since ditched them unless I am sending them someplace.  And what do you and others use to label the coin slab yourself?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 2:48 PM, EagleRJO said:

Nice!  Why have the ones you slabbed in the thin film bags? I started doing that, and have since ditched them unless I am sending them someplace.  And what do you and others use to label the coin slab yourself?

I am supposed to bag them all, but haven’t gotten that done yet. The are approved self sealing non pvc protective bags. They actually help with the slick slabs when you are lifting them in multiples.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks, I pretty much settled on modern US Quarters, and maybe eventually dollar coins since half dollars are not that common, at least around me.  Time to see what pocket change everybody has ... lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With my Puzzle Box Gold collection, every slab has a clear plastic separator between slabs so that the slabs do not, over time, get "nesting" scratches.

When I look at the collection — once a year, dead of winter — the slabs look perfect.  Every year!

For me, it is no longer collecting… it is maintaining.

And by only looking at the coins within the Puzzle Box once a year, it is always a delight when the final side slat moves down, allowing the Puzzle Box top to clear that last side-slat, and the interior contents begins to reveal itself.  If I'm not mistaken, the 14 coins are additionally surrounded — in addition to the separators — by a large Comic Book Coin Armour, carefully folded to house the 14 slabs together.

The large Comic Book Coin Armour is folded so that the top two coins of the two stacks of seven coins each can be seen, and you can make out the $5 1834 Crosslet 4 and the $20 1876 CC.

All part of the fun of the collection.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 5:10 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I am supposed to bag them all, but haven’t gotten that done yet. The are approved self sealing non pvc protective bags. They actually help with the slick slabs when you are lifting them in multiples.

I also have those self-sealing non-pvc bags, but they are really annoying and don't look good.  I figure my coins are going to stay indoors in a controlled environment (cooled in the summer) where I figure that kind of protection really isn't needed, and I plan on eventually putting the better ones in the Lighthouse slab holders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any suggestions for coin books for a modern US Quarters and maybe Half Dollar collection, like the ones with holes for the coins and labels below the holes.  Not something cheap cause if I do the collection I am going to keep it for a while, but I don't need top of the line for the types of coins I had in mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On option -- and not a popular one -- is collecting the best possible circulation clad coins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 7:06 PM, EagleRJO said:

Any suggestions for coin books for a modern US Quarters and maybe Half Dollar collection, like the ones with holes for the coins and labels below the holes.  Not something cheap cause if I do the collection I am going to keep it for a while, but I don't need top of the line for the types of coins I had in mind.

Eagle, I would avoid the cheaper Whitman books, they are not well made and you can’t see the reverse in them. I would suggest albums on Littleton, Modern coin mart, or Wizard coin supply. They aren’t cheap, but much more archival with non pvc plastic windows (slips) on both sides of the coins. They also have compatible bookshelf sleeves, which make a great display.

412DE1E3-704D-4579-8B09-BD211113B08C.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I overkill with Storage, nice slabs, non pvc wraps, plastic coin boxes generic or NGC or PCGS and in every box is a couple of silica packs. I know they are anyways dry, but I would rather be more cautious than careless.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/13/2022 at 7:37 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I know I overkill with Storage, nice slabs, non pvc wraps, plastic coin boxes generic or NGC or PCGS and in every box is a couple of silica packs. I know they are anyways dry, but I would rather be more cautious than careless.

Does sound like overkill, but I did find these heavier duty self-sealing coin slab bags, which are 2 mils thick ... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MC5Y187/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1NQBHLCRUN4JE&psc=1

They don't just crinkle up which looks horrible to me, like the really thin/cheap 1.2/1.4 mil slab bags.  I got the heaver ones and threw the other ones out.  ;-)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2022 at 7:19 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

Eagle, I would avoid the cheaper Whitman books, they are not well made and you can’t see the reverse in them. I would suggest albums on Littleton, Modern coin mart, or Wizard coin supply. They aren’t cheap, but much more archival with non pvc plastic windows (slips) on both sides of the coins. They also have compatible bookshelf sleeves, which make a great display.

412DE1E3-704D-4579-8B09-BD211113B08C.jpeg

I like the quarters albums available from Littleton Coin Company you suggested.  Heavy duty 3-ring binder type with labeled coin holes visible on both sides.  If I'm looking at this right, there are 4 books for quarters from 1932 thru 2021 ...

1)  1932 - 1967 Washington Quarters - Vol 1

2)  1968 - 1998 & 2021 Washington Quarters - Vol 2

3)  1999 - 2009 Fifty State Quarters & DC

4)  2010 - 2021 National Park Quarters

I might start with the last 2 since I have the 50 state quarters somewhere and I could probably pick through pocket change and quarters rolls for the most recent ones.

lca4_alt1-wc.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ive been putting together a set of quarters in mint state from 32 to 64 and its been quite a challenge. If I wanted to get by cheap and a bit easier from rolls id go with 65 thru 98. Or state quarters. They are fun also.  Ive been working on a couple Whitmans with them. Also  halfs could be fun also. Get rolls from banks. Thats gonna be my next Whitman project. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I was thinking about doing halfs next because I have a bunch of rolled ones, but I don't often see them in pocket change around where I live, and picking through people's pocket change would be part of the fun for me.

[For half dollars I probably stick with older 1933 and earlier dates, and just collect some of the various types as I am doing now.  Or perhaps start an older half dollar collection at some point in the future.]

Edited by EagleRJO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 5:48 AM, EagleRJO said:

I was thinking about doing halfs next because I have a bunch of rolled ones, but I don't often see them in pocket change around where I live, and picking through people's pocket change would be part of the fun for me.

Keep your eyes open for West Point quarters. They are highly collectable and also still being found in pocket change. They are fun sets to put together. You will only find them in 2019 and 2020 quarters only. But both years consist of 5 coins each. I put together 3 graded sets and finally completed a couple sets ungraded found by family members, friends, and myself. Ive got several people looking for them for me. 

Edited by Hoghead515
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2022 at 5:48 AM, EagleRJO said:

I was thinking about doing halfs next because I have a bunch of rolled ones, but I don't often see them in pocket change around where I live, and picking through people's pocket change would be part of the fun for me.

People may not like you picking through there pockets. I would reconsider and pick through your own pocket change only.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 7/13/2022 at 7:19 PM, Mr.Bill347 said:

I would suggest albums on Littleton, Modern coin mart, or Wizard coin supply.

412DE1E3-704D-4579-8B09-BD211113B08C.jpeg

I ended up deciding on collecting more modern quarters, and went with the two latest Littleton quarters albums of the type @Mr.Bill347 recommended.  The Littleton albums are really nice, well-made products and I am glad I went with them. They seem really durable and display both sides of the coins. Should last a long time. 😉

Okay, everybody empty your pockets on the table.

Littleton 25C.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am trying to balance my collecting based on 3 categories:

  1. More Expensive Collections:
    • Half Cents by Date (and a few major varieties - "Red Book set")
    • 7070 Type Set (with a few additional conversation pieces and older types)
  2. Less Expensive Collections:
    • Late Date Buffalo Nickels
    • Early Date Jefferson Nickels
    • Proof Mercury Dimes
  3. Sets From Circulation/Face Value Collections (Dansco Albums)
    • Lincoln Cents
    • Jefferson Nickels
    • State Quarters
    • ATB Parks Quarters
    • Women's Quarters (need the album)
    • Kennedy Half Dollars 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, you got a lot going on.

I also got suked into starting to collect older pre WWII German coins, "Potty dollars", and more recently late date half dollars because I like the way they look.

I guess different types of coins keep getting added as time goes by until you have to start breaking things down into categories like you. 😆 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
1 1