• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2014 Virginia quarter Post mint or ??
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Hello, looking for opinions on this one, when I first seen it I thought for sure post mint damage but the more I looked at it the more I've convinced myself thatWIN_20220710_21_22_07_Pro.thumb.jpg.7b8f9328ca3ad1262a11bb6dcb73b435.jpgWIN_20220710_21_21_57_Pro.thumb.jpg.1c35767746905aaf2cb7d3d5a3bb8295.jpgWIN_20220710_21_21_44_Pro.thumb.jpg.7938e4a9e55caaf726d6531b9c63d919.jpgWIN_20220710_21_21_30_Pro.thumb.jpg.50a7bf77ff5ff150aaeb878ae863087f.jpg it may not be IDK. What do you guys think? The way the lines start and stop is what has me questioning it, the way the scratches don't cut through the whole design in some places is what I'm questioning. Thanks 

I'm not an expert, but that seems like quite a lot of mechanical damage to be from just rattling around in mint bags/bins or from a possible mis-strike.  Have you looked at it up close with a good loupe to see if there are any wear indications, particularly at high points, and compared it to graded coins that look similar?  I am finding that the PCGS and NGC sites are a great resource for coin condition.

PCGS Grading Standards

PCGS Coin Price Guide: The Industry Standard for US Coin Values

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

On 7/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, EagleRJO said:

I'm not an expert, but that seems like quite a lot of mechanical damage to be from just rattling around in mint bags/bins or from a possible mis-strike.  Have you looked at it up close with a good loupe to see if there are any wear indications, particularly at high points, and compared it to graded coins that look similar?  I am finding that the PCGS and NGC sites are a great resource for coin condition.

PCGS Grading Standards

PCGS Coin Price Guide: The Industry Standard for US Coin Values

NGC Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC

Are you seriously suggesting that this coin left the mint looking like this?   This coin has been intentionally damaged or run over repeatedly in a parking lot, probably both and is not any type of mint error.

On 7/11/2022 at 1:53 PM, Coinbuf said:

Are you seriously suggesting that this coin left the mint looking like this?   This coin has been intentionally damaged or run over repeatedly in a parking lot, probably both and is not any type of mint error.

No, I was trying not to come off as being too harsh on the guy's coin ...lol

On 7/11/2022 at 4:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

Sometimes it is just better to rip off the band-aid quickly rather than prolong the agony.  ;)

I agree with @Coinbuf. Shouldnt get anyones hopes up if you know its definately damage. It will get them to thinking they may have an error coin of some type and waste their money submitting it. Better off to be blunt and to the point. This coin is 100% damage after it left the mint. 

I guess I tend to look at things from a different perspective of being okay with doing some research, looking at things for myself and hopefully learning more along the way.  He should have had the tools and references to know it didn't come out of the mint that way, and be willing to spend a little time coming to that conclusion on his own.  I guess I never thought that in a million years the guy might actually send out the coin for someone to look at, which would be a waste.  Well, at least the band aid has been ripped of now.  Sorry about your coin bro that it's not a keeper ... ;-)

Edited by EagleRJO
typo

On 7/11/2022 at 8:05 PM, EagleRJO said:

I guess I tend to look at things from a different perspective of being okay with doing some research, looking at things for myself and hopefully learning more along the way.  He should have had the tools and referenced to know it didn't come out of the mint that way and spending a little time coming to that conclusion on his own.  I guess I never thought that in a million years the guy might actually send out the coin for someone to look at, which would be a waste.  Well, at least the band aid has been ripped of now.  Sorry about your coin bro that it's not a keeper ... ;-)

You wouldnt believe some of the coins weve seen on here that people post asking if they should submit them. I think it has alot to do with the get rich quick on pocket change videos on You Tube. Weve seen several parking lot coins on here that people think are valuable errors. 

On 7/11/2022 at 8:15 PM, Hoghead515 said:

... parking lot coins ...

Pretty funny, gonna have to borrow that term ... lol

And after the parking lot find, gotta take it home and grind it with a dremel wire wheel and buffer so it comes out all nice and shiny ... offfff

Edited by EagleRJO