• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1945 Walking Liberty half dollar

37 posts in this topic

hello all....I found this 1945 Liberty Walking half in a bank roll from Wells Fargo bank....excuse the photo please but the coin looks much better than my pics...since it came from the bank it has been circulated, has some dirt on her dress and on the eagle on the reverse and a few very small hairline scratches...does anyone have any idea how this might be graded? I would appreciate any advice and thanks

20220527_140420[1].jpg

20220527_140434[1].jpg

thanks Alex...I am trying to decide if I should have it graded....I was looking at the rates and am a bit confused...I see there is a "Modern" rate that is about $20 or so but it says value up to $3000....how can I determine its value before I send it....any help is appreciated

On 6/4/2022 at 7:18 PM, Bill Wynn said:

decide if I should have it graded.

Coinbuf, who knows what he's talking about, says  AU 53 and I have no reason to doubt him.  However, to grade or not to grade is entirely up to you.  It is, after all, your money.  Maybe you could purchase a book by Whitman or someone else.  What ever you decide I hope you come back saying you found others. 

Edited by Alex in PA.

On 6/4/2022 at 4:18 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks Alex...I am trying to decide if I should have it graded....I was looking at the rates and am a bit confused...I see there is a "Modern" rate that is about $20 or so but it says value up to $3000....how can I determine its value before I send it....any help is appreciated

It would be a waste of money to have this graded, you cannot submit this under the modern tier, modern is for coins dated 1965 or newer.  It is a neat find but not a find of great value, there is a PCGS MS63 graded example on ebay for $65 it would cost you close to that to have this graded.

On 6/4/2022 at 4:33 PM, Bill Wynn said:

thanks Coinbuf....good advice and much appreciated

If you really do want to go the grading route I would suggest you look at ANACS, they offer a less expensive grading fee.   I still would not recommend having it graded and slabbed but using ANACS is easier on the wallet.

thank you Neophyte...I couldn't believe it myself...I have only been collecting for about two months now and this showed up...naturally I thought I hit the big one but now I am not so sure....one of our members thought it might only be an AU55 or so which is a disappointment but the coin looks a helluva lot better than my pics so now I am not sure what to do with it...thanks for the response

I'm  posting better pics of the 1945 Liberty Walking half dollar and while I was looking at it I noticed what might be a mint error....I placed a black arrow showing where it is, you can't see it in the picture but there is a small raised area between the furthest right sun ray and her dress, it is shaped like a V and is raised slightly above the plain of the coin

20220527_140420[1] B.jpg

20220527_140434[1].jpg

On 6/4/2022 at 7:45 PM, Bill Wynn said:

I'm  posting better pics of the 1945 Liberty Walking half dollar and while I was looking at it I noticed what might be a mint error....I placed a black arrow showing where it is, you can't see it in the picture but there is a small raised area between the furthest right sun ray and her dress, it is shaped like a V and is raised slightly above the plain of the coin

It could possibly be a clash mark if truly raised (and not raised because the metal was moved from contact) which can be interesting but adds no value.   From the photo it just looks like any of the other numerous contact marks on the coin, but I'm not able to say for certain from your photo.

Just as I'm curious, what grade do you think this coin is and what do you believe the value is?

thanks Coinbuf....I am a raw newbie in the coin collecting business....doing as much research as I can...I check both the NCG and PCGS price listings and try to compare what I have against the grading photos etc but I still have some difficulty finding differences between ms66 and ms67 etc. and part of my research is getting answers from you guys who have the experience and knowledge that I wish I had

On 6/4/2022 at 7:18 PM, Bill Wynn said:

Do not waste you money of "grading." That will add nothing to its value.

Nice Walker. put it in a 2x2 Saflip and put it on your desk or the bookshelf it is a keeper very nice but not a slab coin in my opinion. It would cost more than it is worth to slab it..

As others have said I would just put it in a flip or capsule. Its got some circulation wear and to many dings to grade very high. You can buy one already graded in better condition then what it would cost to send in. Its a pretty expensive process once you start adding insurance and shipping. You have to pay for the shipping both ways. If it were a rare date or something like that it would be different. But the 1945's are pretty common. Still a very cool find. Id take em all day long like that. The holder and display Alex shared is very nice and a great idea. 

On 6/7/2022 at 11:19 AM, Bill Wynn said:

I've never seen one like that

There are a fair amount of coin supply outfits that can provide nice, but inexpensive, means of displaying your coin.  It doesn't have to be expensive to be nice.  What ever you decide.  Just enjoy that find.  

It costed me around $90 every submission Ive sent. Just NGC price. Not counting me paying for insurance and shipping getting it there. NGC requires you to pay for them to insure it and pay to ship it back to you. 

I bought this one at auction for around $120. It graded ms66. Its a fairly high grade. There are several alot nicer but I thought I got a great deal on it. This just an example as far as the cost of grading a AU coin and buying one in mint state already graded. Lumii_20220607_115652304.thumb.jpg.15c950d8ba862f6ed7ebd6138c0ee90b.jpgLumii_20220607_115618787.thumb.jpg.3a85ebf8238efe841efb0905e411ab5a.jpg